An open note to truck manufacturers

Door stays that work otherwise than on the flat. It only needs a gradient of a few degrees down to a loading bay and you are fighting the weight of the door each time you exit or enter the vehicle.

AND lose the illumination on steering wheel controls. Minor steering adjustments result in these lights swinging left and right in the bottom of your peripheral vision. Whoever thought of that needs to get out more, AT NIGHT.

:imp:

How about an emergency door in the back of the cab for when some pillock on a ferry parks you so close to a trailer that you cannot get in or out.

It could also be used as a safety aid for coupling trailers when you are not allowed to climb on the catwalk :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
How about an emergency door in the back of the cab for when some pillock on a ferry parks you so close to a trailer that you cannot get in or out.

It could also be used as a safety aid for coupling trailers when you are not allowed to climb on the catwalk :stuck_out_tongue:

Good point about the emergency door, but probably not practical, who else has backed on to a trailer between two other units only to find it impossible to get out of the doors. I have and exited via the window.

Why cant truck manufactureres fit a decent drivers seat in EVERY truck?

It should be law that every drivers seat has dual lumbar supports, arm rests, fully adjustable (angle and length) seat pan and when fully raised be high enough to ensure that someone of 6’6’’ (me) can sit correctly - as well of course as a good suspension system.

Currently I drive a Magnum with just the basic drivers seat, afer about 2 1/2 hours my backside feels as though it has lost an ■■■ kicking contest with a rhino!

what would be good is the best bits from all the trucks
plus a few extras

1 a proper plug socket 300w/30amp
2 a holder to put your water but on the outside

del

DAFMAD:
A dash display that shows, at the very least, your current days driving hours, driving time used / left etc.
Compulsory large tilt and slide electronic roof hatch, not made of clear glass either.
All mirrors to be heated and electronically adjusted from the drivers seat. Only one does this so far, but their controls don’t last long.

Diff lock to be compulsory, having TC does not make up for it.

Unfortunately these “wants” do feature on a brand of truck you hate. I’m guessin you’d sooner walk than drive one. :frowning:

ellies dad:

DAFMAD:
A dash display that shows, at the very least, your current days driving hours, driving time used / left etc.
Compulsory large tilt and slide electronic roof hatch, not made of clear glass either.
All mirrors to be heated and electronically adjusted from the drivers seat. Only one does this so far, but their controls don’t last long.

Diff lock to be compulsory, having TC does not make up for it.

Unfortunately these “wants” do feature on a brand of truck you hate. I’m guessin you’d sooner walk than drive one. :frowning:

Probably, but, some of these features are available some of time on some trucks.

• Remove the option to have a radio-cassette player. Make the minimum spec to be a CD player, to stop cheapskate bosses saving a tiny amount of money by specifying a cassette player. Who actually wants to use cassettes nowadays? I mean, they must be saving a couple of quid on a truck that costs £50k+. Hardly worth it…
  • If you want to mount the radio above the window (and I quite like radios up there), make sure the display is bright enough to be seen against daylight coming through the window, and it’s not an LCD with the viewing angle such that it’s unreadable from the drivers’ seat.
  • Air suspension controls placed where you don’t have to open the driver’s door to use them.
  • The parking brake goes on the floor behind the gearstick, not on the dash. Are you listening Scania?

It makes me wonder what the drivers would have asked for in the early 60s when I started

1. A decent heater (Having the engine in the middle of the cab doesn’t make it warm enough.
  2. Power assisted steering. (Making the steering wheel bigger doesn’t do the job)
  3. Sprung seat (My back hurts just thinking about it)
  4. Air suspension (See above)
  5. Bigger mirrors
  6. More power
  7. Better brakes
  8. Synchromesh
  9. Night heater (oh that IS wishful thinking)
  10. A bed (that too)
    I bet the old timers could think of a lot more.

Bloody spoilt you lot are. A 12 speed Foden with a Gardner 180 was the ducks nuts in my early days. You were lucky to have a heater, let alone a night heater. Power steering ? Try an old eight legger without it, and feel it doing ya good. :smiley:
A handbrake that you had to pull on to apply. Headlights like bleeding glow worms.
Etc, etc, etc. Mind you, I’m not complaining, I used to earn 30 quid a week.
:unamused:

A handbrake that you had to pull on to apply

Not just one pull, but three or four on a ratchet system

Wiretwister:

1. Mirror wipers pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. My arms are only long enough to reach the drivers side when mobile. and it would be nice to see what’s happening around me and when going backwards.

No.o.o.o.o.o.

They tried that many years ago, they don’t work.
Although you get a lot of crap on your mirrors, you don’t get enough clean water, so when your mirror wiper operates, all it does is smear the crap around even more. Result mirrors so smeared you can’t see ANYTHING what so ever, instead of mirrors you can just about see something in, if you squint a bit and dodge around like a demented rabbit.

If you want mirror wipers that much, buy a pair of those mirror wiper ribbon thingies (the modern version of tying a rag to your mirror arm).

Other than that, what Allikat said, plus a 24v high output socket. One of those kettle type sockets that have been around for a few years now, accessible but out of the way, like in the fuse box lid. Suitable for plugging a decent power 24v microwave into, (not one of those pathetic efforts where it would be quicker to heat it using the night-heater vent).

Another thing. A Bluetooth hookup built into the cab suitable for 2 phones minimum, at the same time. One for the bosses phone, one for mine.
Bluetooth has been around for long enough now, so it’s pretty cheap.
Most big cabs have a built in wired hands free system now. Wired ■■?