An oldie for you, petrol tanker circa 1952

I went into work last night and in the yard next door on Trafford Park, was this lorry. Don’t know anything about it, spoke to a few of our drivers and we reckon it’s about 1952.

Here are a few photos I took with my phone but rather than clutter up the bandwidth on here, all the photos are here:

If anyone wants the full size photos, PM me, no probs. Does anyone know any more about this little gem■■?

Factory fitted Satnav, 12 disc changer…

It’s a straight 6.

I went to get one of our units, parked it at the side to show the size:

Enjoy!!

Nice pics, a little too wide for the screen, but I suspect a mod will move this post to HERE :wink:

PS - I think dieseldave uses that as a prop for his ADR course - I’m just trying to work out which is the more ancient :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oops, sorry!! Still relatively new here.

Ronaldo:
Oops, sorry!! Still relatively new here.

OH :exclamation: - I made much BIGGER gaffs than this :blush: :blush: :blush:

I would guess 3/4 years older than 1952 as the Bedford S type was introduced in 1951

Superb restoration - whatever the date.

I used to drive one of these but it was a horsebox, as I recall it was a Bedford ‘O’ series (still have the drivers handbook somewhere).

Tiger.

that motor was for sale in classic and vintage commercials for 8grand a few months on the trot it really is a nice peice of kit

If it’s any help the number plate on this vehicle originates from Clackmananshire, Scotland.
Dave.

So that’s where they got the indicator switch for the Guy Big J from!!!

Just found out it is on its’ way to a museum somewhere, along with another one which has appeared in their yard today. Taking digital camera tonight. Thanks for the additional info people, anyone like to guess the size of the engine? About a 2.0L or 2.5■■?

The engines were listed as 28HP. In to-days terms, about 2.8L.

They were quite powerful (and quick) if used sensibly but C licensed (own goods) operators such as market gardeners and the like would think nothing of sticking 7 ton of spuds on them. This same petrol engine was also used in the Bedford OB 29 seater coach.

Most commercial operators replaced the engine with a Perkins P6. I remember Wansborough Paper Co. of Watchet, Somerset using a fleet of these on long distance work in the late '50s.

Sorry, but the mention of Wansborough Paper Company reminded me. When I first started driving in 1955 I used to run with some of their drivers on the A4 between Bristol & London. They used to come across country and join the A4 at Beckhampton. We used to climb Marlborough Hill and immediately upon reaching the top by the hospital, knock the stick out of gear and see who could coast the furthest. If you were heavily loaded you could usually make the Golden Arrow Cafe, maybe about 4 miles down through Savernake Forest and along the flat at the bottom - into the car park and around the cafe to park up on the other side. I don’t know what happened but Wansborough Paper, with a Perkins engined Bedford O artic. ran into trouble doing this one morning and tries to get the thing back in gear. He eventually succeeded but, when he let the clutch out it was too much. The gearbox twisted around and the bell housing was in a thousand peices back up the road.

davemackie:
If it’s any help the number plate on this vehicle originates from Clackmananshire, Scotland.
Dave.

I’d suspect it’s bee re-registered with an age-related plate. The “SL” and “SU” suffixes are commonly used for this, as they’re from remote parts of the country which didn’t register many vehicles; or in the case of the Scots, they were probably too mean to buy them! :wink:

Ronaldo:
anyone like to guess the size of the engine? About a 2.0L or 2.5■■?

Bit bigger than that. IIRC it’s the same lump as was fitted in the RL, of “Green Goddess” fame, about 4 litres. Lovely engine, smooth as silk if it’s set up right.

That was the engine that was fitted to about 1300 of the early Green Goddesses built on the SHZ chassis. These were 2 W/D. This engine was rated at 28HP and developed 110BHP. Production did not commence until 1953. From late 1953 to the end of production in about 1957 the RLHZ chassis was used, 4 W/D and fitted with a much more refined 4927cc lump. I am told that these later engines could easily achieve speeds of 70MPH plus.

ROG:
PS - I think dieseldave uses that as a prop for his ADR course - I’m just trying to work out which is the more ancient :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:sunglasses: The Bedford is a little older than me.:grimacing:

Excellent pics Ronaldo, many thanks for sharing them. :smiley:

Great photos Ronaldo. Was a couple old trucks there end of last year going to a museum and if a remember one was a green tanker. Someone out of your office got some photos of them.
Do you work out of MIFT because i go to your depot1 Watch out for a ssc DAF
white n blue with a plane (Lancaster) on the side.
Graham

I was driving one like that going to Spits every week .Drove it for about a year then took my test ( car ) in it & failed .I was a bit too flash for the examiner . My old Dad saw me coming down the High St. at a dead 30mph & said the poor man looked terrified… :laughing:

davemackie:
Dave.

I don’t think that will be the original reg.It’s typical of the old Scottish reg’s used to replace a reg that’s been sold on as a cherished reg.