An oldie for you, petrol tanker circa 1952

wessexman:
That was the engine that was fitted to about 1300 of the early Green Goddesses built on the SHZ chassis. These were 2 W/D. This engine was rated at 28HP and developed 110BHP. Production did not commence until 1953. From late 1953 to the end of production in about 1957 the RLHZ chassis was used, 4 W/D and fitted with a much more refined 4927cc lump. I am told that these later engines could easily achieve speeds of 70MPH plus.

Well if that was fitted to the early Green Goddesses, I would suppose that the later 4 W/D would be fitted to the later Green Goddesses.
If the same engine was fitted to the RL, which was the military 4x4 version of the S series, then I can confirm they easily achieved 60mph and seemed more than capable of another 10.

I drove Green Goddesses for a short time, during fire fighting training for the second, threatened firemans strike, which was called off at the last minute. I think their demands were met (or perhaps the government were to scared of letting me out on the streets in one of those beasts :laughing: ). If I remember correctly, the firemans demands were that the second part of their wage increase was actually paid to them.
I also drove RL’s fairly often, they were very quick, but a Green Goddess was extremely unstable with the tank half full and very scary to drive with a full tank.
Not a vehicle you would want to drive at speed, unless you had to.

Dont you just hate all the crap accesories that drivers put in their modern lorries like wiper blades & indicators :stuck_out_tongue:

These young lads will carve a good job to bits as long as you give them a fancy lorry and a can of brasso and a tin of mansion polish :wink: