American/Canadian truckstops

youtube.com/user/mickflyuk? Check the video about those nasty Flying J’s

always thought cactus corner (between kindersley------drumhelier) was a good stop,plenty room,chinese ran the resteraunt …top food…could use flying j fuel cards…clean showers…
mmm. husky at acheson of #16 (edmonton) better than flying j /petro. no to bad but had the hotel/bar next down bottom of park if wkended.
whitewood of #1 …old school truckstop …toilets blah ,…but food and portions outstanding…chefs salad filled the plate ,side plate
for fries etc.
ma &pa truckstop next to grain elevator at st.joseph misouri…cooked to order…,could sit and watch when gates open in morning then just drive down…lol.
the truckstop south of blaine on eastside …■■■■ cant remember name had a dennys,/macDs wasnt a lot o room ,filled up quick ./
jimmy

Pat Hasler:

remy:
The Irving Big stops in Maine have a pretty good restaurant but like you say not much for truckstops in the North East. I used to see quite a few Canadian trucks getting groceries at the Palmyra ME (Newport exit) Walmart.
Drivers don"t have time for a sit down meal now, allmost every truck i see has a cooler on the passenger seat, hope they don"t outlaw 'eating n" driving" :exclamation:

Dysarts truck stop south of Bangor is great, the food is exceptional.

I ended up in Dysarts Truck Stop years ago, top nosh & I liked the board with the loads they where offering to all over, got a thermos mug from there & a fat belly…

I think in My short stint as an OTR driver the North American Truckstops are great, 50 times better than the ■■■■ we put up with here, don’t get Me wrong Stockyard is a proper evening out if beers your thing, Chesterfield is a good clean spot too but they are few & far between over here, I remember wandering off from I think a J in Indianapollis down to a local bar, FFS it was a good night but I was brave or so I was told the next day by a local Guy. Green as grass…

know what you mean …was in a backwoods truckstop once in arkansas … …was out o hrs so no escape

no ■■■■ this is true …cowboy boots denim overalls, one ■■■■■■■■ overalls ,300+lbs sat down at my table and uttered the words
youre not from around here boy!!!
■■ his name honest was…bubba.
mmmm canadian …no im scottish ohh ma gran pappie came from scotchland…
end o the night after a few beers …ya comminng homme to meet the wife.
FFS made my escape back to my truck ,
no spread axles that night …just incase he was waiting

jimmy

One place thats good for the food and close to a town center with bars, but total hell to try and sleep in is the small Flying J opposite the Wyatt Earp Hotel in Dodge City KS. Hard to sleep because its next to a damm cattle stock yard and full of loaded cattle trucks that smell and stink all night.

One of my first night’s out over here was in a small town in Southern Illinois, I was with another British lad and we ended up going out to a Tractor Pull, we were the only ones without dungarees and even heard someone shouting for Billy Bob :laughing:

After that we went to a bar, the local hard nuts were in there playing pool, got a few dirty looks from them so I marched up and put a quarter down to play next, they all totally melted and moved to another table to play, I suppose having 6’5" of Gorgeous George with me may have had something to do with that :laughing:

JIMBO47:
know what you mean …was in a backwoods truckstop once in arkansas … …was out o hrs so no escape

no [zb] this is true …cowboy boots denim overalls, one ■■■■■■■■ overalls ,300+lbs sat down at my table and uttered the words
youre not from around here boy!!!
[zb] his name honest was…bubba.
mmmm canadian …no im scottish ohh ma gran pappie came from scotchland…
end o the night after a few beers …ya comminng homme to meet the wife.
FFS made my escape back to my truck ,
no spread axles that night …just incase he was waiting
Bubba’s wife was probably 350 lbs and those gals in the sticks just love that cute English accent honey :wink: :wink:
I think you missed a real treat there Jimmy :grimacing:
Charles

jimmy

i find most american truckstops ok compared to uk, however the pilot in scranton PA i think is the pits. But when I paid a visit to a mom and pop place, with my partner, i got my meal, my partner was waiting for his. I was finished, my partner still waiting for his, when the server came out and said she had lost his ticket( er it was written on the same one as mine). So all apologetic the manager came over and compd us the meal, fine for me i had mine and eaten it, my mates came out undercooked , so he asked for a dessert. Sure you can honey, on the house. Is it all local made, no honey bought in. I’ll have the apple pie then. " I wouldn’t honey it’s been there a week". Only in the US, you couldn’t make it up!

Pat Hasler:

toby1234abc:
Good info,thanks,there used to be female stripper at truckstop in east london,about 3 to 4 young ladies that danced around with a beer glass for the punters to put one pound coins in,or whatever you wanted,the place was full when the dancers were on too,good for buisness. :smiley:

Most british truck stops had strippers … Chesterfield BRS truckstop had some real skanks :laughing: One called ‘Ginger’ comes to my mind, she once stood in front of me stark naked and asked “any request ?”
I said “yeah, put hill street blues back on the telly”

thats a long time ago pat lol actual motorway stop over here very few I would stop and have a shower and food. Last time i stopped at Newbury the showers and an ingraved scum mark round the top, Hilton Park (M6) only had 1 working shower out of 2 and even that was blocked, Lymm are clean and tidy but cost if you dont mind paying. Small independant like Chesterfield and the Stockyard are getting few and far between and even fewer have a bar where to relax with a beer (thats if lucky enough to have an 11 off).

Pat Hasler:

remy:
The Irving Big stops in Maine have a pretty good restaurant but like you say not much for truckstops in the North East. I used to see quite a few Canadian trucks getting groceries at the Palmyra ME (Newport exit) Walmart.
Drivers don"t have time for a sit down meal now, allmost every truck i see has a cooler on the passenger seat, hope they don"t outlaw 'eating n" driving" :exclamation:

I’ll second that, Dysarts, Exit 180 on I 95, Bangor, ME, the food is fresh and I’ve never made it as far as dessert!

Shortcut:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mickflyuk? Check the video about those nasty Flying J’s

I still think that US truck stop beat British ones by a mile… BUT, since I did that little video I have been in 3 really poor flying J’s, so they’re not always good.
The mom and pop ones we have been in just don’t seem to ‘get it’, with no wi fi and very often crap showers and toilets, and even, dare I say it… crap food!

Point that I was trying to make is that american truckstops arent anything like some of the posts here were making them to be. There are better and there are worst. But after reading some of the comments one would think that they are nothing but dumps any reasonable person should avoid at any cost.

Shortcut:
Point that I was trying to make is that american truckstops arent anything like some of the posts here were making them to be. There are better and there are worst. But after reading some of the comments one would think that they are nothing but dumps any reasonable person should avoid at any cost.

That about covers it, they are dumps because of the animals that frequent them :unamused:

All that BS about knights of the road is just that…BS, lorry drivers the world over are mostly a bunch of uneducated, unwashed and they behave in a disgusting manner, except those of us on here of course :laughing:

Next time anyone visits the USA on holiday, spend a few hours hanging around & eating in truckstops, you’ll soon know exactly what I mean :wink:

fly sheet:

Pat Hasler:

remy:

I ended up in Dysarts Truck Stop years ago, top nosh & I liked the board with the loads they where offering to all over, got a thermos mug from there & a fat belly…

I think in My short stint as an OTR driver the North American Truckstops are great, 50 times better than the [zb] we put up with here, don’t get Me wrong Stockyard is a proper evening out if beers your thing, Chesterfield is a good clean spot too but they are few & far between over here, I remember wandering off from I think a J in Indianapollis down to a local bar, FFS it was a good night but I was brave or so I was told the next day by a local Guy. Green as grass…

Had a couple of nights out in the stockyard this week give the karrioke night a swereve some proper freaks from the surounding area get in for that. :smiley:

A couple of weeks back I stopped at the Flying J in Elkton MD for the night, I know it’s part of the Pilot groups but the food is run by a different group and not that scabby Denny’s. I found it really good standard and value.

Reading some of the comments in this thread makes me wonder if I am driving in a different America to some people?
Every truckstop that I use is in a different league to any in Britain.
I have never once been charged to park in four and a half years.
I nearly always park on tarmac or concrete with lines painted .
I get a free hot shower every single night in a private shower room with soap and clean laundered towels provided free of charge.
I more often than not have an evening meal in a restaurant with waitress service.
If I am out for more than two weeks I always do my laundry in the pay to use laundry that every truckstop has.
If I am out more than three weeks l get the truck and trailer greased in a TA for under $40 and they usually can do it straight away.
which truckstops in Britain compare with any of that?
None of the ones i can remember.

wire:
Reading some of the comments in this thread makes me wonder if I am driving in a different America to some people?
I get a free hot shower every single night in a private shower room with soap and clean laundered towels provided free of charge.
I more often than not have an evening meal in a restaurant with waitress service.
If I am out for more than two weeks I always do my laundry in the pay to use laundry that every truckstop has.
If I am out more than three weeks l get the truck and trailer greased in a TA for under $40 and they usually can do it straight away.

I would agree with everything you say, but there are exeptions.

wire:

All of that is true, except the food, in most of the chains it comes out of a box or a tin and is as wholesome as the box it came in, but so are the comments about the animals that abuse the places, you may park on tarmac, but it stinks of ■■■■ and you don’t have to go far to find a carrier bag full of ■■■ :cry:

The facilities themself are top notch though :wink:

Parking areas stinking of ■■■■ carrier bag with a turd in sounds like a night out in a British MSA.
How the ■■■■ anyone can ■■■■ in a bag is beyond me.

kr79:
Parking areas stinking of ■■■■ carrier bag with a turd in sounds like a night out in a British MSA.
How the [zb] anyone can [zb] in a bag is beyond me.

A bag has been more hygenic than some of the khazis I’ve had to use :open_mouth:

Was a blessing when the FH came out with the raised lower bunk :wink: