Amber engine management light

I’ve been looking on the dvsa and .gov site for the official guide on driving with a engine management light on. I know you or I write a defect and report it, but I want to present something official to a superior. If anyone can find something, in writing, could they post it please? I’ve got a screen shot of what I’ve found but it doesn’t really explain it.

This

Defect sheet?

Ah, but how many…?

AFAIK it is not illegal to drive with an orange engine management light on (however if it’s related to an exhaust issue a pedantic official may disagree)

As a driver I would inform the office, if they told me to carry on I’d request that via text or e mail purely for CYA purposes. Report it, your job is complete.

Is a constant amber warning light, permanently on, a “dangerous defect” as mentioned in the screenshot? I’m trying to cover myself when asked to leave the yard with it.

Good luck driving a Daf in the rain if you don’t like yellow malfunction warnings.

Just warn them that with those warnings the next stage could very likely be limp mode and a recovery. ££££ soon gets their attention.

the nodding donkey:
Ah, but how many…?

Isn’t that…

Standard for a DAF?

MikeDBristol:
Is a constant amber warning light, permanently on, a “dangerous defect” as mentioned in the screenshot. I’m trying to cover myself when asked to leave the yard with it.

No. It’s a MOT fail but it’s not a dangerous defect.

Whatsapp your manager a picture of fault every day , put noted on ( whatever time you start at ) walk round checks , at least he / they can’t deny any knowledge of the fault
That said I had exactly the same on a 19 plate scania , defected it , parked up at garage & I was given a different motor , had issue with 23 plate daf xg & again parked up & given another motor , tris the same , if it can’t be fixed there it’s transhiped.

Thanks. Not a DAF surprisingly, a Merc. Equally sh17

I had the same come up on my DAF, drove it for around 24 hours, then it went out, no fault was triggered…

Gremlins are back… :laughing:

My 2021 FH13 throws up an engine system malfunction most days at some point, no noticeable effect. Was in Volvo for a 6 weekly yesterday and was reported to them.

But it still did it today

I got a AEBS fault come up on my DAF today

What if the engine light is on before leaving the yard? Are you happy to take it out even after defecting it?

What would dvsa say about it if you got pulled later that day?

MikeDBristol:
What if the engine light is on before leaving the yard? Are you happy to take it out even after defecting it?

Does it impact the safety of the vehicle?

If you can not answer that question then the answer is yes it is fine to take out.
vehicles do not have to perfect to take out they just have to be safe and road worthy.
your only duty is to notify your boss about it.

Also I’ve driven a ton of DAFs and Mercs… you get it a lot espec in supermarket work. Not a huge issue.

If you get pulled by the plod and they ask about the light (highly unlikely) but if they do you just tell them you notified your boss and its on your check sheet.

Fair comments Adam, cheers.

I probably have an amber engine warning light on the dash on every truck I drive

MikeDBristol:

I did just that…

There was no fault triggered, as far as I was concerned there was no problem, if a fault was triggered then it would have been defected, If the workshop says its fine to drive, I’m ok with that, they are supposed to be the experts.

After a few hours driving it disappeared and so far it hasn’t returned!

There’s so much bogus crap on them nowadays,I’ve adopted a"drive it till it stops"approach.