Amazon wanting photo ID

Just been informed that Amazon want us to upload our driver licences to them so the security guards can match the name and photo with each driver entering their premises at check-in. Amazon claim it’s for “security and safety”. I assume they’ve had a lot of one-man-band cowboys being caught without licences. But that’s their issue for employing the cheapest cut-throat transport possible.

I don’t know about anybody here, but one of my primary concerns in life is the unconscious march towards total surveillance, and how damaging that can ultimately be. I’ve never owned a smartphone for these reasons!

I’m deeply uncomfortable with this, and there’s also a principle at stake. I’m yet to speak to my boss about this, but I’m going to flatly refuse. For me this oversteps a line. I don’t want Amazon to have access to the information on my driving licence for a variety of reasons. But the main one is: I don’t know or trust who could harvest or use it.

I haven’t spoken to any other drivers yet, but no doubt they’ll bend over and do it without question. How would you lot feel about it? What would you do/say?

We had something similar when applying for a power of attorney. One bank had no issues with my wife being unable to provide photo id. The national insurance number id accepted as proof of id. Barclays on the other hand outright refused until we stood our ground. Of course you now need photo id to vote …unless you have a postal vote which is the way I’m going . ■■■■ all this move to make things morre convenient for the authorities and large companies : like won’t accept cash, must have smart phone etc. Glad to see the train companies have been told where to poke their idea regarding closing ticket offices.

Your licence has your full name, address, date of birth and SIGNATURE on. These fragments of information could be the start of what someone requires to steal your identity in some way. This is an absolute no no IMHO.

Noremac:
Your licence has your full name, address, date of birth and SIGNATURE on. These fragments of information could be the start of what someone requires to steal your identity in some way. This is an absolute no no IMHO.

This is my argument. Despite assurances that Amazon will keep the information confidential, I have zero faith in that, and in humans in general. Any database is crackable. Anybody could be motivated to sell that information for the right price. There are numerous examples of this happening. It only takes one person with the motivation and incentive to do it.

I’ve never really been happy with my employer having these details, but the occasional risk is a necessary evil. I doubt I’d get a job otherwise. But giving these details over to amazon is totally unnecessary. I can flash the guard my licence at the gate if need be. It does not need to be on their system.

I once refused a place in Rotherham that wanted to photocopy my licence. I still got the load though :slight_smile:

It’s the…

Responsibility of the agency to vet their drivers and be able to offer information to a client if requested.

If you work directly for Amazon, they already have all the info they want on you.

I’m in team ‘mind yer own ■■■■■■■ business’.

what security is there at the moment I know a couple of places that had owner drivers turn up saying they were there to do a shift and drove off with a trailer full of goods matching pictures of drivers to units and loads is probably a simple way to try and prevent it. Of course paying half decent wages and providing good working conditions so that drivers want to work for them doesn’t enter their heads they would rather treat the drivers as criminals and come up with silly solutions. I don’t blame you not wanting to do it.

Is there not data protection laws to protect you from these type of ■■■■ ers

robroy:
Is there not data protection laws to protect you from these type of [zb] ers

Quite possibly…

But you know how much Amazon upholds the law.

Thats a hard NO from me .
I wouldn’t use their app on my phone the last time I did anything for them about 2 years ago

Say that you are more than happy to oblige, as long as you can have a copy of Jeff Bezos’ driving licence.

I refuse to buy anything from Amazon that requires them to have a copy of my ID, because I am also in the “don’t trust Amazon with it” camp.

Goodonya, ezydriver. I bet you don’t get any backup though.

Great bear at Bilston,take a copy of your cpc card.

ezydriver:
Just been informed that Amazon want us to upload our driver licences to them so the security guards can match the name and photo with each driver entering their premises at check-in. Amazon claim it’s for “security and safety”. I assume they’ve had a lot of one-man-band cowboys being caught without licences. But that’s their issue for employing the cheapest cut-throat transport possible.

I don’t know about anybody here, but one of my primary concerns in life is the unconscious march towards total surveillance, and how damaging that can ultimately be. I’ve never owned a smartphone for these reasons!

I’m deeply uncomfortable with this, and there’s also a principle at stake. I’m yet to speak to my boss about this, but I’m going to flatly refuse. For me this oversteps a line. I don’t want Amazon to have access to the information on my driving licence for a variety of reasons. But the main one is: I don’t know or trust who could harvest or use it.

I haven’t spoken to any other drivers yet, but no doubt they’ll bend over and do it without question. How would you lot feel about it? What would you do/say?

Despite this. You’ll be in Amazon next week.

Well, I went into work and was immediately collared by Mr pointy shoes.

“Gonna talk you through this Amazon process ezy”
“What process?”
“Just Amazon needing a copy of your driving licence”
“What for?”
“It’s their new policy, they need a copy of every driver’s licence on their system”
“They are DEFINITELY not having mine, mate”
“Why not?”
“I don’t trust them with all those personal details, and it’s not necessary”
“What about your normal Amazon account, your personal details are on there.”
“What normal account?”
“Haven’t you got a normal Amazon account?”
“No”

The look of disbelief at that last one was priceless. It was like he couldn’t believe people like me exist.

“Ok mate. well here’s your run for tonight” (no amazon)

And that’s where it’s been left. I’ll probably get collared by my boss next week. If, as md1987 says I am in amazon next week, it’ll be without a copy of my licence on Amazon’s system. I’m adamant on this one. There’s a principle at stake, and I’ve got nothing to lose really. No family, no mortgage, savings, looking to cut my hours to part time anyway, and it’s the last straw for me, as there’s been so much crap at work lately.

Perhaps the boss needs to make a few enquiries. Are Amaz really going to extract a driver’s name and photo that’s accessible to the gate team or simply pass a copy of the licence
If it’s the former then why can’t the operator do that. And if it’s the latter (unlikely) then that’s way out of line and would breach data protection rules.
There are much better ways of sharing IID.

Won’t your boss already have a copy of your license, digi and dcpc cards already as part of his routine license checks? How they use it will be governed by data protection laws

Employer has a duty of care under GDPR laws to ensure that employee information is secure so they need to have proof from Amazon as to how secure it is and how long Amazon retain that information for. They also cannot share this information with Amazon without your permission so do remind them of this if any comments about “we already have a copy anyway, we’ll just send them that” start to be mentioned.

Just make sure you don’t ever work agency then as every place to get sent will be given a copy of your licence (both sides) and god knows how they store them. Probably stuffed in a filing cabinet just like your employer that everyone in the office has access to. We know how it should be done…but that’s a big difference to reality in many cases.

If you don’t want to do this fair enough, but I think I’d trust big companies to store data securely vs little companies as the former have entire compliance depts and come under a lot of scrutiny. Each to their own.

What signatures have to do with anything I have no idea at all.

ezydriver:
(…)
“What about your normal Amazon account, your personal details are on there.”
“What normal account?”
“Haven’t you got a normal Amazon account?”
“No”

The look of disbelief at that last one was priceless. It was like he couldn’t believe people like me exist.

(…)

Poor blessed soul wandering about oblivious to the benefits of this digital era…

Where am I getting B9 12V/1.5W bulbs for my test light? Not the friendlly local hardware store, nor the impersonal mall, on Amazon
Where can I purchase round tasty rice instead of the insipid scrawny Asian basmati, Amazon next day delivery
Where can I purchase an SKF driveshaft for half the price at the parts store, Amazon… and the list goes on

ezydriver:

They have been having stock nicked.

Turns out their is a consequence to using Mickey Mouse & Daffy Duck transport to run their gear about. They try and ban guilty drivers & they rack up working for somebody else.