Amazon wanting photo ID

Private and personal information is something Im hot on. I once went to a builiding site to install a cabin setup and in the induction they wanted to to take my biometrics so I could get past their turnstiles. I politley refused to give my thumbprint, pointing out that we are onsite only for 1 day and probably wont ever come back. After a long discussion they threatened to ban me from site until they realised I was the only driver amongst my team with the HIAB and ticket to do the install and I pointed out they wouldnt get the cabins that day.
In the end I started to get fed up and reminded the clown of a manager that under GDPR rules an individual has the right to refuse to give their biometrics and instead an alternative way of signing in (aka pen and paper) must be provided. The idiot buckled and I was allowed onsite.

Some building companys in an induction want far too much information. They often ask for address, home telephone numbers and even National Insurance number. All of which I refuse to give and leave blank, and if they come up with some rubbish about needed to contact my next of kin in an emergency I give the details of my line manager who has the ability to contact my next of kin.

Some of you may be reading this and think Im some kind of militant (well you re correct) but it all started a few years ago when collecting some cabins at the end of the build. I started to have a poke inside a skip to see what treasure they were throwing out when I came across lots of paperwork, not shredded, just dumped and it was all the personal information of workers that had been on site. Im talking about a scammers goldmine here, NI numbers, home address, phone numbers and bank details.
Ever since that day I have a deep mistrust of giving over personal information that IS NOT REQUIRED to do the job.

msgyorkie:
Private and personal information is something Im hot on. I once went to a builiding site to install a cabin setup and in the induction they wanted to to take my biometrics so I could get past their turnstiles. I politley refused to give my thumbprint, pointing out that we are onsite only for 1 day and probably wont ever come back. After a long discussion they threatened to ban me from site until they realised I was the only driver amongst my team with the HIAB and ticket to do the install and I pointed out they wouldnt get the cabins that day.
In the end I started to get fed up and reminded the clown of a manager that under GDPR rules an individual has the right to refuse to give their biometrics and instead an alternative way of signing in (aka pen and paper) must be provided. The idiot buckled and I was allowed onsite.

Some building companys in an induction want far too much information. They often ask for address, home telephone numbers and even National Insurance number. All of which I refuse to give and leave blank, and if they come up with some rubbish about needed to contact my next of kin in an emergency I give the details of my line manager who has the ability to contact my next of kin.

Some of you may be reading this and think Im some kind of militant (well you re correct) but it all started a few years ago when collecting some cabins at the end of the build. I started to have a poke inside a skip to see what treasure they were throwing out when I came across lots of paperwork, not shredded, just dumped and it was all the personal information of workers that had been on site. Im talking about a scammers goldmine here, NI numbers, home address, phone numbers and bank details.
Ever since that day I have a deep mistrust of giving over personal information that IS NOT REQUIRED to do the job.

I dont think you are a raving militant mate, it’s a pity there ain’t more like you (us) in this job.
The reason there is so much bullcrap, injustice, and total ■■■■ takes in this industry towards it’s drivers, is because the same drivers just sit back and let ‘them’ who do it…do it.
Have you seen some of the posts on this forum for starters :unamused:

The job could be oh soooooo much better for the rest of us if some we work along side would just ■■■■ grow a pair. :unamused:

You do not need to be a complete obnoxious arse to stand up for yourself, if you do it politely and tactfully,.I have found that you are actually respected for it in many cases.

If tact does not work…THEN be a complete obnoxious arse. :laughing:

What is the difference between showing your photo ID and oblige by pulling pallets out of the wagon?

You are likely giving away far more susceptible-to-abuse information via search engine and YouTube searches than just showing a photo ID to anyone

Pulling pallets out of the wagon is for designated warehouse labourers or trained forklift drivers; you kinidly explain that to Lidl and Aldi, which might well put your self-concept (the constructed inner idea of yourself) under the test

Sorry?

sure, here some hints:

working class and dignity, venting mechanisms and perceived humiliation

rob22888:
They have been having stock nicked.

Turns out their is a consequence to using Mickey Mouse & Daffy Duck transport to run their gear about. They try and ban guilty drivers & they rack up working for somebody else.

as an aside this came up in my feeds this week, I guess matey thought he was on to a real good number until it came crashing down…!

decanter.com/wine-news/whis … st-516059/

njl:
decanter.com/wine-news/whis … st-516059/

What a…

Fascinating read. Thanks for the link. I never knew so much booze was being nicked so frequently.

When I was a TM, I was also responsible for the warehouse. I went to some seminars on security.

At one, we were given an example of how organised criminals can get away with it:

Fred, armed with a dodgy ID and a good (but not glowing) reference from a recently defunct company applies for a job as foreman in your warehouse. Fred is a gem of an employee, always happy to work late to get the orders out and come in early to check the loads. After six months, he has learned enough to start his real job - ripping you off.

He waits until a stock check and then starts adding extra pallets to his mate’s loads. Not greedy, one or two a day, and chosen from stock that’s both valuable and not really noticeable. The day before the next stock take, he quits and disappears.

Jay Dee? Has the man no decorum? :laughing:

Star down under.:
Jay Dee? Has the man no decorum? :laughing:

Well looking at some of the munters, sorry ladies (hopefully) I’ve woken up next to then no Jay Dee is a very very bad man

Was trying to sort out car insurance for my son online, hes only got a provisional licence so i was ready with images of said licence to provide proof and i was surprised they didnt need these as they already knew all the info.

msgyorkie:
Some of you may be reading this and think Im some kind of militant

No, I don’t.

I was delivering to a site in Corby a few weeks back. I used the toilet and had to walk past the staff clocking-in machine. A sign read “This machine is no longer in use. Please use the facial recognition machine located at… blah blah blah”

And my back was instantly up. I wonder how many refused? Probably none.

Such information is not necessary. I know it’s “only a clock machine”, but it’s much more than that. It’s a small part in a bigger ominous picture, and so few people seem to see or understand this.

The argument for reducing crime is virtually impotent too. I read an article in the Northampton local newspaper criticising the police for passively scanning 380,000 faces at the Silverstone grand prix not so far back. A freedom of information request revealed that they picked up exactly zero wanted people.

We’re sleep walking into a mass surveillance dystopia. Read about China’s surveillance of Uyghur muslims for example, the possibilities and realities of mass surveillance will horrify you. And by accepting these requests by amazon et al, we’re part of that encroaching nightmare. But as Robroy consistently points out, 99% of us will bend over and take it dry.

ezydriver:
. Please use the facial recognition machine located at…

I don’t follow your objection to this?
It will result in your employer knowing when you arrived and left work. It will eliminate a friendly colleague clocking you in when you’re running late.
Other than the breakdown in trust that the employer just trusts you to work your contracted hours or the hours you say you’ve done, which I accept, what is the problem with the facial recognition part?

The Silverstone story has nothing to do with the workplace example.

The older I get, the more I agree with stu675 and like minded others. I’m not talking about tin foil hats, but intrusiveness into peoples lives.

ezydriver:

msgyorkie:

No, I don’t.

I was delivering to a site in Corby a few weeks back. I used the toilet and had to walk past the staff clocking-in machine. A sign read “This machine is no longer in use. Please use the facial recognition machine located at… blah blah blah”

Such information is not necessary. I know it’s “only a clock machine”, but it’s much more than that. It’s a small part in a bigger ominous picture, and so few people seem to see or understand this.

The argument for reducing crime is virtually impotent too. I read an article in the Northampton local newspaper criticising the police for passively scanning 380,000 faces at the Silverstone grand prix not so far back. A freedom of information request revealed that they picked up exactly zero wanted people.

We’re sleep walking into a mass surveillance dystopia. Read about China’s surveillance of Uyghur muslims for example, the possibilities and realities of mass surveillance will horrify you. And by accepting these requests by amazon et al, we’re part of that encroaching nightmare. But as Robroy consistently points out, 99% of us will bend over and take it dry.

Just the way it is now mate and we’ve only got ourselves to blame for feeding the likes of Amazon. I’d say they can basically do what they want they’re that big.
Only thing you can do is refuse to go in there. I said you’ll be back in there but fair play if you don’t :laughing:
What has the Uyghur Muslims got to do with it?

The employee surrenders their will to a set of predefined needs or demands of the employer. This might well encompass showing an ID card or pushing pallet to fulfill the assigned task, arising conflicting arguments.

There is a clash between the rights of a free citizen and the rights of an employee who has given up a non-negligible deal of their freedom in favor of fulfilling a remunerated task under agreed terms of engagement.
It is as if, back in ancient Rome, a free citizen or ‘civis Romanus’ took up part-time slave-like servitude under some master or ‘Dominus’ in exchange for some denarius. In such cases, there may be grey areas regarding which rights apply or whether there are any rights at all when such an individual acts as a subject under a master’s command.

Workers should have a separate worker ID that applies in the context of work assignments as employees. Such is the case of police officers, who do not show a passport to identify themselves but a designated police force ID when they are on duty.

ezydriver:

msgyorkie:

No, I don’t.

I’ll bet it’ll be a different story if they mount that tech at Blackthorn shops, or Bellinge, etc

trevHCS:
Just make sure you don’t ever work agency then as every place to get sent will be given a copy of your licence (both sides) and god knows how they store them. Probably stuffed in a filing cabinet just like your employer that everyone in the office has access to. We know how it should be done…but that’s a big difference to reality in many cases.

If you don’t want to do this fair enough, but I think I’d trust big companies to store data securely vs little companies as the former have entire compliance depts and come under a lot of scrutiny. Each to their own.

What signatures have to do with anything I have no idea at all.

Really, Optus a telco here in australia got hacked and lost over 10 million customers data … large companies easier to hack.

discoman:

trevHCS:
Just make sure you don’t ever work agency then as every place to get sent will be given a copy of your licence (both sides) and god knows how they store them. Probably stuffed in a filing cabinet just like your employer that everyone in the office has access to. We know how it should be done…but that’s a big difference to reality in many cases.

If you don’t want to do this fair enough, but I think I’d trust big companies to store data securely vs little companies as the former have entire compliance depts and come under a lot of scrutiny. Each to their own.

What signatures have to do with anything I have no idea at all.

Really, Optus a telco here in australia got hacked and lost over 10 million customers data … large companies easier to hack.

They don’t even need to hack in. They get let in when someone in the organisation clicks on the link the (phishing) email, they believe to be genuine.