Amazon documentary

Is anyone watching this on bbc 1 ? Couldn’t have a job like that , I’ve heard the tesco warehouses are the same , warnings for a few seconds late etc … Unbelievable

Its like working in the 18th century. Shocking!!

Just watched it - now to order a few bits from them so I hope they walk faster :smiling_imp: :wink: :laughing:

I saw another programme recently about delivery drivers working for them through agency and that was really bad

They obviously don’t set the same targets for the good in staff. :laughing:

Just watched it too but I doubt it’ll affect any part of their sales. As for tesco, they have unions and the pay is pretty good.

Haha going to order a few sets of bowls etc , crazy how you get points for going home sick etc , makes our jobs not seem so bad for the wage when you see what they have to do

£6.50 an hour :open_mouth:
Slavery :imp:

The amazon warehouse near me (rugeley) is the same. I haven’t heard of anyone lasting more than 6 months there. Over the summer some of my friends from uni got jobs there and all bar 2 got sacked for pretty trivial things. Many of them haven’t got a days work In them though so I’m not too surprised after watching this documentary :laughing:

Absolutely shocking how they treat their employees, only time i’ve ever done 120 picks an hour is when I had an itchy arse.

I will be complaining to my local MP right after I’ve done a bit of online shopping.

Love to try it for a day or two to get some weight off.

Before I started driving I worked for Iceland in their warehouse, it’s the same there aswell but the pay was very good. It’s hard work and definitely a young mans game. I had a cushy number on the forklift which is why I was there 7 years. But on the plus if you work for a decent firm you can expect to work 8 hours a day, fixed start/finish times etc etc.

Places like that are full of foreigners who come over here for a few years, earn their money and bugger off again. It does keep you very fit though, those pickers would run rings round us drivers.

It would be impossible to be an order picker as a life long job, the human body simply couldn’t put up with the physical stress at the age of 65, the older people either don’t work in places like that for very long or have a different job (ie loading/flt etc).

Personally would I go back into that line of work again? Not a friggin chance.

Ive worked in a ‘‘bluechip’’ warehouse in the past and the pick rate was 6 pallets an hour. Hard going when you had pallets with 50-60 different skus, easy if it was 10-20 skus.

Cant ever recall warnings for being slow probably was, we had a ex drill sergeant soldier nipping our heads. You got a verbal warning if you got 3 mis-picks a month.

I agree with tarrman that was probably the fittest ive ever been in my life, must have done 20odd mile a day up and down the pickface going like ■■■■.

Ive recorded this amazon thing, watch it the morra see if its similar or worse to where i worked.

One of the hardest jobs I ever did was working in the warehouse for securicor omega, lobbing, ceramic tiles, pipes & other heavy zb I wanted to cry, lasted less that a week…:laughing:

From that programme I think shifts @ amazon should be no more than 8hrs long:!:

maga:
The amazon warehouse near me (rugeley) is the same. I haven’t heard of anyone lasting more than 6 months there. Over the summer some of my friends from uni got jobs there and all bar 2 got sacked for pretty trivial things. Many of them haven’t got a days work In them though so I’m not too surprised after watching this documentary :laughing:

Rugeley has already been exposed by Channel 4. Most of the staff turned out to be agency workers who were usually sacked within 12 weeks to save the agencies paying holiday pay or so it was alleged

youtube.com/watch?v=pFHPhy6OUbw

I wonder if it will make people think twice before posting about shelf stackers earn more etc.

damoq:
They obviously don’t set the same targets for the good in staff. :laughing:

:grimacing:

Waco:
Rugeley has already been exposed by Channel 4. Most of the staff turned out to be agency workers who were usually sacked within 12 weeks to save the agencies paying holiday pay or so it was alleged

They accrue holiday pay from the very first hour so it wasn’t that. More likely Agency Workers Rights which guarantee most of the same terms as permanent employees once you’ve been at a company 12 weeks.

Disgusting and will def make me think about ordering from them … another company sainsburys works the same policy on there night shift

They have this amazing philosophy on productivity but not on quality … basically they dont care if the shop is not filled over night but if a employee is not hiting target then ohhhhh nooooooo ( lol )

GOING TO USE SMITHS NOW

Conor:

Waco:

They accrue holiday pay from the very first hour so it wasn’t that. More likely Agency Workers Rights which guarantee most of the same terms as permanent employees once you’ve been at a company 12 weeks.

It sounds like the agency was trying to avoid paying the workers heir holiday pay, but Amazon and the agency appear to conspire to deprive the workers of their rights under the Agency Workers Regulations, no-ones going to be surprised about that though.

The trouble with most warehouses like Tesco/Amazon/Iceland/Sainsburys etc etc is that they want as many cases/boxes out the door as cheaply as possible. It’s the same across the board wherever you go. All they strive to do is increase productivity and decrease pay. A clever tactic of decreasing pay is each April instead of increasing wages to coincide with inflation, they offer a pay increase below the inflation rate. Do this over 5 years and hey presto a pay cut. Either that or don’t offer an increase at all. A previous employer used this tactic much to the disagreement of the workforce/union.

Dipper_Dave:
Absolutely shocking how they treat their employees, only time i’ve ever done 120 picks an hour is when I had an itchy arse.

I will be complaining to my local MP right after I’ve done a bit of online shopping.

Love to try it for a day or two to get some weight off.

120 picks an hour is for all!!! At co-op we used to do a minimum of 185 cases per hour if you were on a truck in the main warehouse and 214 cases per hour if you were on foot in secure goods, I could pick 120 and sit and talk for the other half an hour.

We were on decent money though none of this £6 crap, I was on £6.25 in 2004 when I started there. When I left it was £8.64 on days + 33% for working nights but like I said you worked for it!