AM I TO OLD

Hi all, I am just seeking advice from you experienced truck drivers. I am 59 yo, is this to old to start truck driving again? I have a class 2 and was a lorry driver in the eighties. I haven’t driven a truck since 1991. I am thinking of going back in to it, maybe going for class 1. Would I still find work or would employers steer clear of an older driver just starting out. I know its all changed since the eighties and i would a medical to start with, but thought i would ask you lads for advice first. thanks in advance.

next time you’re out and about have a look at your average lorry driver, they’re ancient!! :laughing:

there are blokes 70+ driving just fine and have no problem finding work.

If it’s what you wanna do mate go for it.
I’m of similar age, and have not felt any different for last 20 yrs, in my head I’m still late 30s, …don’t let age prevent you from any ■■■■ thing, (even if it is driving a truck. :smiley: )

In me 60’s and never been more employable, and finding good employers are desperate not to lose their more reliable loyal older staff, including favourable part time contracts where applicable for retirees wishing to continue on a reduced hours basis.
Job’s never been easier on the body than now.

And Greggs is open again :laughing:

It’s like riding a bike, you never forget how to do it. You’d have absolutely no problem finding work.

hamma:
Hi all, I am just seeking advice from you experienced truck drivers. I am 59 yo, is this to old to start truck driving again? I have a class 2 and was a lorry driver in the eighties. I haven’t driven a truck since 1991. I am thinking of going back in to it, maybe going for class 1. Would I still find work or would employers steer clear of an older driver just starting out. I know its all changed since the eighties and i would a medical to start with, but thought i would ask you lads for advice first. thanks in advance.

I’ve recently set a driver on who is 74, so you’re still a youngster in comparison.

Would love it in a few years time to get on with a decent no pressure type firm, big roomy motor, doing a bit of Europe, only for a few months, bring the Mrs with me on a touring holiday type vibe…save a fortune on a camper. :smiley:

Thanks for the help lads. I feel more up for it now. Cheers.

Times have changed. The lorry park opposite the Orange Tree in Walsall is closed :cry:

Suedehead:
Times have changed. The lorry park opposite the Orange Tree in Walsall is closed :cry:

Wow ! The Orange Tree.
That’s a blast from the past, had some bloody good nights out in there, pool comps (won a couple btw :sunglasses: ) then up the town in a taxi to some club or another, back to the cab walking the gauntlet of the ‘night girls’ on the truck park…now part of the road. :unamused:

Starting “out” again at 59 after being dormant since 1991,not something I would want to do with all the current regulations. Medicals CPC Digi cards computer generated delivery times etc etc. I have only been out of it for 9 years after nearly 50 years in the game,it would be a NO NO for me.
Saying that its what ever “floats your boat”.

lolipop:
Starting “out” again at 59 after being dormant since 1991,not something I would want to do with all the current regulations. Medicals CPC Digi cards computer generated delivery times etc etc. I have only been out of it for 9 years after nearly 50 years in the game,it would be a NO NO for me.
Saying that its what ever “floats your boat”.

Ok, he’s sure as hell gonna find a change from when he last did it.,.all the stuff you mention as well as the fact that the job is ran mostly by d/heads who know f. all about it,.and that there are also a large contingent of similar d/heads who have managed to blag Class 1 licences, (as a mate of mine found out to his surprise who did a similar thing) but as long as he is prepared for all these negativities,.and is still willing to give it a go, what’s the harm in trying it,.and going on to do maybe 10 yrs at it.
It’s like anything else, you never know to you try it, and if you don’t you’ll more than likely regret it.

Never too old as long as you can still see where you’re going :smiley: :smiley:

Best of luck.

I’d rather take on an older, reliable guy than some youngster who thinks we owe him or job or spends all his time moping around because his team has lost or his girlfriend is messing him about

good_friend:

Best of luck.

I’d rather take on an older, reliable guy than some youngster who thinks we owe him or job or spends all his time moping around because his team has lost or his girlfriend is messing him about

Yeah, but who would you employ?
Ducks for cover…

good_friend:

Best of luck.

How lows the age bar mademoiselle?..[emoji38]

I’ll rattle a brief off,

Trained by the best in the industry([emoji16]).
Don’t do football, much prefer netball…oooor do I… [emoji38]
Don’t have ‘girlfriends’ but I might have a wife…give the conspiracy theorists some curved balls here [emoji16]

To add, I’ve looks that’d make stevie wonder reach for his piano, and charm that’d knock a nightingale gale outta tune.

Only requirements, a V8, 2k a week, day work, 2 on 5 off.

Available from Monday, can’t do before then as I’ve a week of lay ins booked.

But, I’m near 40 if that’ll swing it… [emoji38]

Too the op, go for it!! An stuff anyone who thinks otherwise.

Best of luck [emoji1634][emoji1634]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

You will find that the pay hasnt changed much since your last time out. The average age of a driver is about 54 so go for it.

I can’t think of a worse idea , 59 & 20 yrs away from the job , it will end in tears I’m sure

dozy:
I can’t think of a worse idea , 59 & 20 yrs away from the job , it will end in tears I’m sure

I think you’re 20 years away from mental arithmetic, old chap.

He’s been gone from the job since 1991 - ■■■■ near 30 years!

It’d certainly be a learning curve. Some might say a lesson.

Franglais:

good_friend:

Best of luck.

Yeah, but who would you employ?
Ducks for cover…

I will deal with you next time I see you

(I promise :laughing: )

Benjie83:

good_friend:

Best of luck.

How lows the age bar mademoiselle?..[emoji38]

Only requirements, a V8, 2k a week, day work, 2 on 5 off.

You made me laugh. Every time I ask one of my drivers if he needs anything he puts in a bid for a V8 Scania. He even asked the Chairman of the ■■■■ company for one last week

Needless to say he said no