Always overtake, never submit

Remember that even if you are only going 0.00034mph faster on your limiter than another lorry you MUST overtake especially on dual carriageways. Sure, staying behind on adaptive cruise control whilst easy and fuel saving should never be considered when the heroic snail speed pass option that delays the journeys of countless others. Just think you can save the amount of time it takes to take a ■■■■, boil a kettle or scratch your arse at your destination. Particularly worthwhile when you are paid by the hour anyhow. :smiley: :unamused:

Does not apply to overtaking supermarket wagons or Maritime that are probably going 50.

lewn777:
Remember that even if you are only going 0.00034mph faster on your limiter than another lorry you MUST overtake especially on dual carriageways. Sure, staying behind on adaptive cruise control whilst easy and fuel saving should never be considered when the heroic snail speed pass option that delays the journeys of countless others. Just think you can save the amount of time it takes to take a ■■■■, boil a kettle or scratch your arse at your destination. Particularly worthwhile when you are paid by the hour anyhow. :smiley: :unamused:

Does not apply to overtaking supermarket wagons or Maritime that are probably going 50.

YOU FORGOT TO ADD RANT OVER :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

■■■■ :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

I did one a while ago for miles & miles on a34 then decided I wasn’t going to make it so braked & pulled back in behind other lorry , I think that wound the cars up more than ever , held them up for ages and got nowhere , never heard so many horns !!

Have I just woken up in 2005?

switchlogic:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Switch, remember the days BEFORE 56mph limiters ■■
I’m sure you do, when we could actually drive like proffe…
sorry not sure I can use that word anymore :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Could be anti deflamatory to the new SATNAV newbie, snowflakie , where’s my Mummy brigade :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lewn777:

Sure overtaking is more difficult than it looks. I share your frustration but equally why should somebody be held up?

The issue is you cant see unless its a flatbed if the overtakee (one being overtaken) is loaded or with what, though the third axle down on a unit is possibly a giveaway. Also you gotta know your truck.

I mean all DAF drivers should know when loaded dont overtake going uphill unless youre passing a Coles crane 'cos sure as eggs are eggs soon you’ll be being undertaken as the ultra fuel efficeient DAF system dont wanna give you 100% grunt and suffers the engine equivalent of brewers droop just when you need it to perform.

pierrot 14:

switchlogic:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Switch, remember the days BEFORE 56mph limiters ■■
I’m sure you do, when we could actually drive like proffe…
sorry not sure I can use that word anymore :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Could be anti deflamatory to the new SATNAV newbie, snowflakie , where’s my Mummy brigade :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think Switch was sitting in the passenger seat in those pre-limiter days, mate. Its near 30 years now. Dont time fly when you`re having fun…

There are far too many people in this profession who don’t know what the “-” button on the steering assembly is used for…

Cruise Control.jpeg

Franglais, you’re forgetting Luke drove trucks that had limiters set in what was at the time a country that didn’t take such things quite so seriously.

As for the OP, yes some overtakes are frankly embarrasing to witness and put all of us in a poor light in the eyes of the general public, not as half of them can drive even half competently either, but we are supposed to be pros according to the forum header above.

Juddian:
Franglais, you’re forgetting Luke drove trucks that had limiters set in what was at the time a country that didn’t take such things quite so seriously.

Im sure we wouldnt for a second suggest that Luke would do anything remotely naughty, but youre right I hadnt thought it through.

Is the op confusing a dual carriageway for a road with 2 lanes in your direction?

I still…

Remember, with tears in my eyes, the heady days of no limiters. All day long sat at 62mph with no elephant racing whatsoever.
Why can’t we go back to that?

yourhavingalarf:
I still…

Remember, with tears in my eyes, the heady days of no limiters. All day long sat at 62mph with no elephant racing whatsoever.

Because the road is full of car drivers incapable to do more than 45 on a motorway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yourhavingalarf:
I still…

Cos generally everyone was used to judging speed and required travelling/braking distances for themselves as well as having to control the vehicle themselves in every way, some of them are now a menace at 50mph and despite all going in the same direction with comparatively fanastic brakes and lots of 3 letter acronym devices designed to prevent accidents are still ramming vehicles up the arse and turning the whole outfit over on perfectly straight roads.
They were great days, and even better nights when night driving, at one time night trunking up the M1 you’d see barely a handful of lorries the whole night through, all just memories now and those times will never return.

yourhavingalarf:
I still…

Rosy specs on to-day?
Would a 62mph elephant race be less silly than a 49mph race?

Apart from accusing you of a tinted rearview mirror, looking at registrations, and only a rough guide admittedly approx
24m vehicles 2000
32m vehicles 2020
There may be more miles of roads but there are lots more vehicles, 33% more, making for more crowded roads so any rolling road block will have e bigger effect.
As Juddian points out, lots of things were different then

Franglais:
Would a 62mph elephant race be less silly than a 49mph race?

Of course…

It would be different, it wouldn’t happen. It didn’t back then, for years all the way up the the A34 never had one elephant race until limiters arrived.
As an aside, grumpy car drivers would be less grumpy at 62 than 49.

If speed limiters for cars ever make an appearance,car drivers will have their own elephant racing at 70.0001 mph or 69.9999 maybe.

Juddian:

Actually, running without limiters was just what the stupid companies did, most of which aren’t around anymore! All that does is burn through insane amounts of fuel with not a huge amount of gain. If you’re not worried about driving hours limits anyway why go fast just keep the driver working a little longer. On trip rates drivers want to get it done anyway. So no, when I was at Nolan’s and HSF disconnecting the limiter was a big no no. Nolan’s bigger than ever* and HSF just sold to DFDS to make the Fredricks even richer so I’d say they got it right!

*heard every joke about old trucks going at this stage so don’t bother

yourhavingalarf:

Having achieved 62 myself, I reckon you`re right! :smiley:

Franglais:

yourhavingalarf:

Having achieved 62 myself, I reckon you`re right! :smiley:

I see…

What you did there. :smiley: