Always overtake, never submit

Pre limiter days, 100 mph, heady times.
430hp ■■■■■■■■ RTO 12513, 44k lb Rockwell @ 3.7:1 :smiling_imp:

Star down under.:
Pretty limiter days, 100 mph, heady times.

The things my Dad used to do with me in passenger seat makes even me whince now! All day in workshop, me in school, then we’d go do Smithfield Market overnight and truly ridiculous speeds, I remember him going mad and flashing his lights at cars in outside lane to get out way of way! We’d then get back and I’d go back to school and he’d go back to work, he was a mechanic for same company in his day job.

Or devil advocate if a truck is parallel to you knock your cruise let him pass however idc anymore if there no signs it’s fair game if you can’t help them join them

Personal best for going downhill 73mph Swindon dual carriageway heading to m5 :slight_smile:

At the old speeds you’d be wide awake at night through adrenalin/excitement/enjoyment, quite apart from having your antenna constantly pricked for any cars pacing you from way behind…spotlessly clean windows and mirrors weren’t just for clocking the pretty ladies.
We got away with things and speeds they’d take your licence for now and chuck you in chokey for a decent spell, wouldn’t last 5 minutes at 70+ now, day or night, stick out like a sore thumb.

These issues disappear into a puff of smoke if you drive a few clicks back in the first place.

" Mirror, Mirror - on my Tablet…
… Why D’ya argue like Montague & Capulet? "

Gidders:
If speed limiters for cars ever make an appearance,car drivers will have their own elephant racing at 70.0001 mph or 69.9999 maybe.

I don’t know if you’ve been driving around in a car but it’s already happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Star down under.:

MPG?

DSMRookie:

Star down under.:

MPG?

4½~5 mpg but up to 9.9 at a steady 100~110 kph.
Prior to changing the diff ratio, from 5.28:1, I could bank on 4½ mpg up hill and down dale, loaded to 90 tonne or empty.
5:28 give 98 kph at 2100 rpm in overdrive.

DSMRookie:

Star down under.:

MPG?

With much…

Older technology, in a DAF 3300 I was getting 7.8 all year round. It dropped when the firm I was with got it’s first curtainsider. Other motors included a Foden with a 350 Cat which did around 7 and a Leyland Marathon giving a rather poor 6 ish (mainly due to everyone driving it at 70+ mph everywhere though I reckon).
I can’t see why with the correct final drive and today’s sooper dooper efficient engines, 10 mpg isn’t possible.

Indeed, final drive ratio makes a world of difference, obviously it has to be matched by an engine that can take advantage.

Its only in recent years it seems to me that many of the foreign makers got this, or maybe they were typically geared to 50mph for the lower legal speed limits in force in much of europe, earlier foreign motors particular Scania 110/111 and Volvo F/FL10/12s were revving their ■■■■■■■■ off at typical UK motorway speeds.
Typical 450/500hp foreign built fleet spec motors most of us now drive seem to be geared 56mph @ around 1200 rpm, new Gen Scanias being an odd one out in that the last of the 4 series were doing something like 1050rpm, but couldn’t manage much more than a gentle incline at full weight without needing to drop to 11th.

UK wagons, once we’d moved thankfully away from bloody Gardners and onto big cam ■■■■■■■ engines, could be geared right up, last decent ■■■■■■■ engined SedAck i had for a good while was pulling 70mph @ 1100rpm and it could cover most of the UK motorways staying in top @ 38t (ERFs i drove with the same engine were never as high geared and couldn’t match the quite remarkable economy that SA was capable of), never seen gearing as high as that in any foreign motor, thought i’ve not had anything much to do with the latest super high powered versions with 16+ litre engines which should have higher ratio final drives, i also can’t speak for Fiats of yor some of which had NA engines of massive swept volume.

Juddian:
Indeed, final drive ratio makes a world of difference, obviously it has to be matched by an engine that can take advantage.

Its only in recent years it seems to me that many of the foreign makers got this, or maybe they were typically geared to 50mph for the lower legal speed limits in force in much of europe, earlier foreign motors particular Scania 110/111 and Volvo F/FL10/12s were revving their ■■■■■■■■ off at typical UK motorway speeds.
Typical 450/500hp foreign built fleet spec motors most of us now drive seem to be geared 56mph @ around 1200 rpm, new Gen Scanias being an odd one out in that the last of the 4 series were doing something like 1050rpm, but couldn’t manage much more than a gentle incline at full weight without needing to drop to 11th.

UK wagons, once we’d moved thankfully away from bloody Gardners and onto big cam ■■■■■■■ engines, could be geared right up, last decent ■■■■■■■ engined SedAck i had for a good while was pulling 70mph @ 1100rpm and it could cover most of the UK motorways staying in top @ 38t (ERFs i drove with the same engine were never as high geared and couldn’t match the quite remarkable economy that SA was capable of), never seen gearing as high as that in any foreign motor, thought i’ve not had anything much to do with the latest super high powered versions with 16+ litre engines which should have higher ratio final drives, i also can’t speak for Fiats of yor some of which had NA engines of massive swept volume.

FWIT different countries, do have different final drives. I had a final drive failure in Spain, towed into garage. There was a diff in Madrid but because I had a UK spec truck a different ratio one had to sent down from Holland.
I said most of my work with that company was on Euro main roads and a higher diff might be better, but they wouldn’t have it.
Just sticking a higher diff into a vehicle won’t often give better mpg. The makers are very keen to get the best mpg and use it to sell more vehicles, so our interests coincide with less fuel cost.
With a higher top gear you’ll be dropping down earlier for hills, and a slight slope you might have romped up in top before, now needs a downchange to a gear lower than the top you would used before.
Modern engines are very clever at producing similar fuel/power use curves over a wider range of revs, so maybe don’t need the 16 speeds we often had before, but keeping things on the boil when heavy with a 400 and 16 speed was engaging. Not falling asleep doing that.

Franglais:

Juddian:

Just sticking a higher diff into a vehicle won’t often give better mpg.

Very true, after yet another hub reduction axle failure on a Crusader (290 Rolls engine) my boss sourced a complete Rockwell axle from a Ford Transconti which our versatile mechanic fitted.
Made for an interesting drive afterwards, loaded it really wasn’t happy in top much below 65mph, and when you slipped it up a gear at 75 caused some double takes from drivers you were overtaking at the time :smiling_imp: , light running on packaging or such it would have been perfect but the axle never failed again.

Franglais:
With a higher top gear you’ll be dropping down earlier for hills, and a slight slope you might have romped up in top before, now needs a downchange to a gear lower than the top you would used before.

But…

The higher speeds meant you could hit the bottom running at a much higher speed and get over with much greater momentum than is currently possible at the current 89 click boredom crawl.

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:

But…

The higher speeds meant you could hit the bottom running at a much higher speed and get over with much greater momentum than is currently possible at the current 89 click boredom crawl.

Hitting the bottom of a hill faster means you have more momentum to get over, true.
I`m not sure where the “But…” comes in though?
The gear ratio as fitted is probably correct for the roads and rules we do use, but if we had different speed limits, or different weights, or different dimensions altering aerodynamics…then yes a different overall gearing might well be better.

Franglais:
I`m not sure where the “But…” comes in though?

As a general…

Rule, it comes in behind you.

That’s us even for the week I feel. :smiley:

lewn777:
Remember that even if you are only going 0.00034mph faster on your limiter than another lorry you MUST overtake especially on dual carriageways. Sure, staying behind on adaptive cruise control whilst easy and fuel saving should never be considered when the heroic snail speed pass option that delays the journeys of countless others. Just think you can save the amount of time it takes to take a ■■■■, boil a kettle or scratch your arse at your destination. Particularly worthwhile when you are paid by the hour anyhow. :smiley: :unamused:

Does not apply to overtaking supermarket wagons or Maritime that are probably going 50.

So whos the idiot in this situation ?

A- The driver who’s in lane 1 seeing that he is being overtaken and can’t slow down a couple of mph to allow the ovetake and then resume his speed while the lorry in lane 2 continues to pull away .

B- The driver in lane 2 knowing its going to take the full length of the dual carrigeway to complete an overtake when he is not really being held up for more than a few seconds / minutes .

C- Both of them

I’m answering C

lol.

I drive at 52mph. But my limiter is 56.
When I see a truck who has its limiter set to 52.5mph I let it almost overtake me. Then I speed up to 55mph. then after a few miles drop back to 52mph.

I make MANY FRIENDS this way.

It’s a joke.

beefy4605:

lewn777:
Remember that even if you are only going 0.00034mph faster on your limiter than another lorry you MUST overtake especially on dual carriageways. Sure, staying behind on adaptive cruise control whilst easy and fuel saving should never be considered when the heroic snail speed pass option that delays the journeys of countless others. Just think you can save the amount of time it takes to take a ■■■■, boil a kettle or scratch your arse at your destination. Particularly worthwhile when you are paid by the hour anyhow. :smiley: :unamused:

Does not apply to overtaking supermarket wagons or Maritime that are probably going 50.

A- The driver who’s in lane 1 seeing that he is being overtaken and can’t slow down a couple of mph to allow the ovetake and then resume his speed while the lorry in lane 2 continues to pull away .

B- The driver in lane 2 knowing its going to take the full length of the dual carrigeway to complete an overtake when he is not really being held up for more than a few seconds / minutes .

C- Both of them

I’m answering C

As someone who has done trunk work there is a certain mindset at a few places.
Either Managers blowing smoke up the ■■■ of the fastest driver who gets their truck back first so the warehouse have it slightly easier.
Or Drivers who just want to get back as fast as possible to go home. They just become hyperfocused on getting back asap.

beefy4605:

lewn777:

C- Both of them

I’m answering C

Not always. Sometimes you get wagons all doing 55, 54 etc. Yes some of them could do 56, but they just stay behind, save fuel, keep a safe gap and chill out. However some numpty will see the last one in the convoy doing 55mph, and think screw this I can go faster and spend 15 minutes crawling past five wagons, often they’re heavier/less powerful and end up going backwards on the hills. Embarrassing and more work than it needs to be, so then we get loads of places on dual carriageways where the outside lane is 7.5t restricted. Really unless you are seriously time crunched better to just chill out unless you have 2mph on the other lorry especially at peak times. OK 2am less of an issue.