Alternative Fuel Trucks

I’m ok with the the idea that at some point in the future, my boss will start using a truck which uses an alternative fuel.
Do any of us already drive one? What do you think about it?
If you don’t, would you be ok with it, if your boss got you one?

I often see trucks running the m6 with trailers proclaiming "all our trucks run on recycled cooking oil/bio diesel " do they ■■? I remember some years ago it wasn’t uncommom to get a whiff of chip supper as a tatty old ■■■■■■ went rattling past ,but I wouldn’t fancy trying to run a modern / expensive vehicle on it. would the seals in the injection system cope ? where would you stand as regards a warranty claim ? anyone got any ideas ? as for the ops question (sorry for the hijack) I wouldn’t have any problems with it ,after all any problems are the gaffers problem .

think it is a long way off for electric trucks other than local deliveries.
1 litre diesel is equivalent to about 10 kwh
300 mile day would need 160 litres (?) so therefor 1600 kwh
typically batteries have about 0.17 kwh per kg
therefore truck would need 9.4 tonne of batteries.

Diesel will be king for a very long time when it comes to haulage.

the big change as per reducing carbon within haulage needs to come from the public not buying as much crap as that currently do, if they bought less there would be less wagons and less diesel used - it’s as simple as that.

forbes.com/sites/sebastianb … 36b785d762

Hydrogen :sunglasses:

Bluey Circles:
think it is a long way off for electric trucks other than local deliveries.
1 litre diesel is equivalent to about 10 kwh
300 mile day would need 160 litres (?) so therefor 1600 kwh
typically batteries have about 0.17 kwh per kg
therefore truck would need 9.4 tonne of batteries.

Diesel will be king for a very long time when it comes to haulage.

the big change as per reducing carbon within haulage needs to come from the public not buying as much crap as that currently do, if they bought less there would be less wagons and less diesel used - it’s as simple as that.

NONE of us no what the future holds but I doubt your theory will be correct.

Liquified Gas- My company runs 30 Iveco’s on gas, in Europe, and very good they are too. Very quiet and low emissions, so good for the nun’s and kittens. I had a 460 Saturday, and it did the trip in the same time as my usual diesel Mercedes.

The biggest problem in the UK, is the lack of infrastructure unless you are an Asda type operator where a storage tank can be sited and a truck is able to be refuelled.
As the infrastructure in Europe generally has eu funding, post Brexit it won’t happen.
Also, it does take longer to re-fuel than a diesel so your day gets longer. Especially when, as in Paris last month, the tank was empty and there was a queue down the industrial estate waiting.
Hydrogen will be a really slow development. It’s working in the Shetlands where the power plant to create Hydrogen, is powered from the sea otherwise it needs a lot of power to produce.

OwenMoney:
Liquified Gas- My company runs 30 Iveco’s on gas, in Europe, and very good they are too. Very quiet and low emissions, so good for the nun’s and kittens. I had a 460 Saturday, and it did the trip in the same time as my usual diesel Mercedes.

The biggest problem in the UK, is the lack of infrastructure unless you are an Asda type operator where a storage tank can be sited and a truck is able to be refuelled.
As the infrastructure in Europe generally has eu funding, post Brexit it won’t happen.
Also, it does take longer to re-fuel than a diesel so your day gets longer. Especially when, as in Paris last month, the tank was empty and there was a queue down the industrial estate waiting.
Hydrogen will be a really slow development. It’s working in the Shetlands where the power plant to create Hydrogen, is powered from the sea otherwise it needs a lot of power to produce.

Youd probably know better than most, arent there significant storage problems with Hydrogen too. To get any real amount you need cyrogenic storage, and doesn`t it migrate through storage vessels?
Nice clean fuel but practical problems.

I seen a couple this week at a place I was delivering at,
they were on for a parcel firm. I think they were LPG or natural gas or something like that.

Asked the driver what he thought and although I can’t put exactly what he said roughly translated he didn’t think they were very good and that they had very little range.

Franglais:

OwenMoney:

Youd probably know better than most, arent there significant storage problems with Hydrogen too. To get any real amount you need cyrogenic storage, and doesn`t it migrate through storage vessels?
Nice clean fuel but practical problems.

being the lightest gas in the universe you can’t really fit much into a vehicle, you can liquefy it and store it at -250c but that takes a vast amount of energy and considering even when liquified it still occupies about 3x the space as diesel for the same energy you are going to need about 3000 litre tanks to give long distance, and these tanks will have to be of huge strength and weight to withstand accidents, ruptured liquefied hydrogen tanks would create one hell of a fire ball

No getting away from it, diesel is the miracle fuel, we will never ever see anything as convenient in our life time.

A road tanker carrying Hydrogen weighs around 32t empty and carries 10t of gas (approx.)

Gas powered trucks are being used a lot in europe because of the environmental benefits particularly in urban distribution.

From what I’ve been reading over Easter diesel is going to be on a sticky wicket :open_mouth:. The EU Parliament kept busy before the Easter break and formally approved the first ever EU regulation on CO2 emissions for trucks and lorries. The MPs set a 30% CO2 reduction target for new heavy-duty vehicles by 2030. The fines for failing to comply will be imposed in a two-stage system: 4,000 euros per gram of CO2 between 2025 and 2029 and 6,800 euros per gram from 2030.
electrive.com/2019/04/22/eu … as-agreed/

There are around 20 LNG trucks at my home depot. See this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159858

Get yer pantographs out! :astonished: Sections of the A5 e-Highway in Germany start trials today. electrive.com/2019/05/06/eh … n-germany/

If you consider how long it took to install the tram system in Nottingham, Sheffield etc, a lot of which was installing overhead cables. Just how long will it take to install overheads for trucks!?

Will make smart motorways look like filling a pothole.

Except that being done in Germany,it will be done right the first time,on budget and without delays.

Never really fancied sticking ten ton of 1.1D on top of a tank containing gas :open_mouth: :laughing:

albion:
Never really fancied sticking ten ton of 1.1D on top of a tank containing gas :open_mouth: :laughing:

Just make a bigger bang !!

We had a fleet of Volvo diesel/LNG trucks which were moved on last December after 5 yrs of usage, they were replaced with a fleet of diesel only Volvos temporarily for a year whilst testing is done on 2 LNG only Volvos with the aim of getting a fleet of them if they prove to be reliable. We had a Scania LNG truck on demo but unfortunately only came in 4 legger format but proved to work well.

When these LNG trucks work properly they’re more than adequate but we have had problems filling them with gas and apparently our gas filling system all needs reconfiguring so what we end up with is anyone’s guess.

Am surprised this day and age they haven’t put solar panels on top of trailers
Then use the power to power the truck make it a hybrid.
When power from.panels runs out it switches back to diesel.
I reckon you could get 100 miles maybe more from the panels

edd1974:
Am surprised this day and age they haven’t put solar panels on top of trailers
Then use the power to power the truck make it a hybrid.
When power from.panels runs out it switches back to diesel.
I reckon you could get 100 miles maybe more from the panels

That’ll cost Stobarts a fortune when they put it under a low bridge though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk