Allowing clients to photocopy your license, why?

Ive began to wonder on the amount of times Ive allowed by driving license to be photocopied by total strangers. In this world of identity fraud etc have we got a bit of a relaxed attitude towards this.

Reason I ask is somebody has taken a phone contract in my name and discussing with the fraud team they asked if anybody would have been able to get/steal my identity recently by losing a wallet/passport etc. I then told them I regularly hand my license over to clients who then take a photocopy. The fraud team were a little bit bewildered with this, and maybe rightly so. We dont know the person were entrusting with personal details etc, what then happens to that copy after a shift, is it left lying around for any one to see etc■■?

So do you HAVE to let clients have a copy of your license?
Surely showing your license at the start of shift should be enough?

I’ve often thought about this as well, I’m an agency driver and have been on the same placement for 22 months continuously, but every Monday the agency drivers have to hand over their licences to be photo copied and fill in a form. I’ve asked why this has to be done every week, and am told its company policy. It’s ridiculous IMO.

Also my licence I got at the beginning of the year, is now falling apart and will have to get another one, which costs ££££££, producing my licence every week is pointless

To be honest I’ve done that, but you’re right, might be time to ask for a copy of their personal privacy policy before you give it to them?

Where’s the trust gone? They are handing over truck, trailer and load £100k plus any damage you may do before doing a runner having proof of ID isn’t too much to ask is it?

Plenty of actual cases where a guy has turned up saying he is from XYZ agency and driven off with a truck and its load never to be seen again.

There are also cases of banned drivers continuing to work because no-one has checked their license.

The photocopy is to show that the license has been checked.

tachograph:
There are also cases of banned drivers continuing to work because no-one has checked their license.

The photocopy is to show that the license has been checked.

But if they really want to be sure that a driver isn’t banned, checking with DVLA via a phone call is the only way to be 100% sure

We hand ours over every 6 months.

Not that Id abuse it but I have 3 different counterparts, 1 clean and 2 with points

Companies when they dispose of the copies are supposed to shred them. Heinz Wigan just put them in a normal bin. So do a few other companies.

Everytime I turn up on a job my licence, digi card and site authorisation / induction card are copied.
Then a 5 page form has to be filled in, repeating the same info thats clearly visible in the original documents
ie: licence number, digi card number, expiry dates for licence, digi, and HGV entitlement.
The next step being mooted due to a specific contract, is CRB checks paid for by the client

selby newcomer:
checking with DVLA via a phone call is the only way to be 100% sure

You’re 100% correct. Most of the replies so far have not addressed the OP’s data protection concerns, they seem to miss the point completley. Anyone who records and stores your data should have and produce a policy to show/give to you.
But as some of this lot can’t read they wouldn’t know any different !!

Mike-C:

Good job you came along to explain it to us retards then :unamused:

I believe any company has to be able to demonstrate that it will store what personal data it has securely and responsibly and only allow access to those individuals within the company who have a ‘need to know’.

You are perfectly justified in asking to see a copy of the company’s DPA policy before handing over your licence for copying, and demanding that they return the copy to you for disposal once your shift has ended.

I sometimes ride valuable high-performance motorcycles which are borrowed from dealers.

Not unreasonably they ask for credit card and driving licence details before I go, and as a matter of course they destroy them when I return.

However, that wouldn’t stop them making a ‘copy of a copy’ but a certain amount of mutual trust is required.

tachograph:

Mike-C:

Good job you came along to explain it to us retards then :unamused:

Hey don’t snipe at me because you completley missed his question. He wasn’t complaining about being checked , he’s on about the storing of your personal data. If you feel like a ■■■■■■ then thats all well and good, i’m not saying anyone is a ■■■■■■. I’m just saying you’ve missed his point. By a mile.

GasGas:
You are perfectly justified in asking to see a copy of the company’s DPA policy before handing over your licence for copying, and demanding that they return the copy to you for disposal once your shift has ended.

Good point, which I may follow. Iam pretty sure 99% of the clients I work for conform to the Data Protection Act 1998.
Its just the spotty night shift youth who may hang around with a bad crowd who I hand my personal details to, before the proper office staff arrive. Imagine if he has a gambling addiction, he knows where you live, you will be away for the next 13hrs, he only needs to ring a dodgy mate and thats your house ransacked. Thats only an example of course.

Santa:
Plenty of actual cases where a guy has turned up saying he is from XYZ agency and driven off with a truck and its load never to be seen again.

The bloke behind the desk rings his ■■■■■ mate and say John Brown is on a night out tonight, he lives at 13 Acacia Ave and his missus is fit, although that could happen to a long serving employee too

Lorn trakta:
Whilst doing agency work I was sent to drive an hgv for Herts County Council , the TM asked to see my licence, exams it and hands it back, checks with DVLA, all ok, I said aren’t you going to copy it, ‘‘no its an offence to create a copy or facsimile of a driving licence’’, was he correct? I’ve always wondered, certainly checking the licence by ‘possession’ ,ie photocopy, is not checking it at all in the eyes of the law.

I do a bit of volunteering with a museum and the list of documents they cannot photocopy by law includes driving licences.

The same applies to birth certificates (they are Crown Copyright and copying, or being in possession of a copied certificate is an offence). If an employer (or potential employer) asks for a birth cert then question why, more often than not they will say it’s for proof of ID, simple answer to that one is that a certificate (for England and Wales) isn’t proof of ID and there is a statement to that effect on them. What they really want is proof of eligibility to work in the UK which is a different thing altogether.

Lorn trakta:
‘‘no its an offence to create a copy or facsimile of a driving licence’’

Gouls:
I do a bit of volunteering with a museum and the list of documents they cannot photocopy by law includes driving licences.
The same applies to birth certificates (they are Crown Copyright and copying, or being in possession of a copied certificate is an offence).

Hmmmm interesting, I shall be looking in more depth into this :wink:

peirre:
Everytime I turn up on a job my licence, digi card and site authorisation / induction card are copied.
Then a 5 page form has to be filled in, repeating the same info thats clearly visible in the original documents
ie: licence number, digi card number, expiry dates for licence, digi, and HGV entitlement.
The next step being mooted due to a specific contract, is CRB checks paid for by the client

DHL by any chance?