All new cars to be fitted with speed limiter

As title says
Good idea. Or nanny state /big brother going to far?

I know we may not be in Europe then. But the cars we drive will be made there

European leaders vote to make speed limiters, data loggers and a host of other safety features mandatory on all new cars sold from 2022

All new cars sold in the EU are set to be fitted with mandatory speed limiters by 2022, after the European Parliament, Council and Commission approved the fitment of a wide range of safety measures for new cars.

Mandatory data loggers, autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, a driver fatigue detection system, reversing sensors or cameras, and pre-wiring for alcohol interlock devices will also be fitted to all new cars under the rules.

The limiters – dubbed Intelligent Speed Assistance, or ISA – use traffic-sign-recognition cameras and/or GPS data to determine the maximum permitted speed in a particular area, automatically limiting engine power and a vehicle’s speed to the prevailing limit.

Will any future UK gov wish to be seen as “less safe” then a different regime?
Will any UK cars be allowed in the EU if they don’t follow their safety standards?
Doesn’t matter if we are in or out of the EU then, you can bet we’ll be following the same regs.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I can’t see a problem provided it works as a driver aid, like the cruise control speed limiter function with dynamically changing limit.

The days of it being enjoyable to drive on the open roads are long gone anyway.

I’m surprised they can sell cars - except the very smallest cars - without reversing aids nowadays. Autonomous emergency braking and lane assist would be alright if they work and don’t constantly trigger spuriously.

And many people already have full data loggers if they have a dashcam, and to a limited extent a mobile phone.

We will all be wearing tags soon ffs.

Calm down. Fitted yes, they are also have an on and off switch, and if you floor it,they will be overridden.
It’s non-news to cover up Brexit

Franglais:
Will any future UK gov wish to be seen as “less safe” then a different regime?
Will any UK cars be allowed in the EU if they don’t follow their safety standards?
Doesn’t matter if we are in or out of the EU then, you can bet we’ll be following the same regs.

You’re absolutely right.

bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all
vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU.

The Department for Transport said the system would also apply in the UK, despite Brexit.

It aint just cars, it applies to lorries and coaches as well. Just read the whole article in todays Times newspaper.
Is it a good thing? Probably not in a lot of ways however drivers really have brought all these new safety features on their selves by poor standards and regularily flouting the law.
Apparently one of the new features is that trucks will be fitted with bigger windscreens and windows so as to see cyclists.
What they do not seem to understand is it will not do any good unless the driver is looking!
Oh and the vast majority of accidents are caused by human error.

They can make my cab fully glass. Be like a greenhouse. Won’t make any difference.
I can see cyclists no problem.
Yet they can’t see me.
I recently done my fors training and bike ability course.
All fair enough teaching you the hazards of cycling etc.
They should be teaching the cyclists as well though.
As ever it’s on us truck drivers
They should be taught as well

It doesn’t work well with lorries overtaking why would it be any different with cars. I’d be happy with it on A roads, B roads 30/40/50 etc but not dual carriageway or motorways.

It’s just another level of control you’re under by the government. Bit by bit we are giving up our freedoms. Soon you’ll not even be allowed to look at ■■■■ without registering our name, address and have ID. It’s all about control.

This means…

I can cruise past a new Ferrari/Audi/BMW/Range Rover/Merc in my 12 year old Vauxhall shopping trolley, with a smug grin on my face at 75 mph.

yourhavingalarf:
This means…

I can cruise past a new Ferrari/Audi/BMW/Range Rover/Merc in my 12 year old Vauxhall shopping trolley, with a smug grin on my face at 75 mph.

Or the government loses revenue on speeding offences and instead whacks £100 extra VED on your 12 year old Vauxhall to encourage you to buy new.

merc0447:
Or the government loses revenue on speeding offences and instead whacks £100 extra VED on your 12 year old Vauxhall to encourage you to buy new.

Yeh…

That’s probably one of the things they’ll do. More likely is they’ll up the emissions limits to force owners of older vehicles into newer models.

bastids

My car needs a tailwind to get up to 70 :blush:

Anyway…Not long now before the datalogger is installed at birth.

It will be interesting to see how they work on smart motorways where the knobhead operators keep altering the speed limit for no apparent reason.On another note it will free up all these coppers hid behind lamp posts with speed guns so they can go catch criminals … i counted 10 seperate speed camera vans in North Yorkshire a few fridays ago.

merc0447:
. Soon you’ll not even be allowed to look at ■■■■ without registering our name, address and have ID. It’s all about control.

yougov.co.uk/topics/technology/ … their-pant

I like driving, being in control, the more that gets taken away the more my attention wanders. As far as I’m concerned the jury’s out on electric windows, nothing wrong with those wind up ones :wink:

albion:

merc0447:
. Soon you’ll not even be allowed to look at ■■■■ without registering our name, address and have ID. It’s all about control.

I like driving, being in control, the more that gets taken away the more my attention wanders. As far as I’m concerned the jury’s out on electric windows, nothing wrong with those wind up ones :wink:

Wind-up windows? What modern sorcery is this? What’s wrong with good old sliding ones?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

no matter what they make,then itl be a doddle and a few quid to bypass it.
they said digital dashboards would stop clocking whereas in reality they have made it 100 times easier…£30 and 5 mins nowadays,job done.
deffo brexit any excuse for a waffle scaremongering.

If I can’t…

Watch ■■■■ whilst doing 90mph on the motorway any more, is there any point at all in having a driving licence?

They’re taking all the fun out.

ramone:
It will be interesting to see how they work on smart motorways where the knobhead operators keep altering the speed limit for no apparent reason. On another note it will free up all these coppers hid behind lamp posts with speed guns so they can go catch criminals … I counted 10 separate speed camera vans in North Yorkshire a few Fridays ago.

My car knows what the speed limit is by ‘seeing’ the signs with a forward facing camera or by GPS. All it does atm is to display it on the screen, but it’s no great leap for it to be part of the cruise control setup.

0218-1.jpg

albion:

merc0447:

There’s a little winder ■■■■ for you :wink: :wink: