All I can find is agencies

Hi everyone, I have posted on here before asking for help and advice in looking for a new Class 1 day job in the Retford area however after sending out CV’s to everywhere suggested I have had no luck so far and all there seems to be on the internet are Agencies advertising.
So can anyone tell me if any of these agencies would have permanent jobs or do I keep approaching companies until something comes along.

Any help, good or bad will be taken on board.

nick very tall:
all there seems to be on the internet are Agencies advertising.

Its been that way for many years, and at this time of the year (the bleak season) I`d take what you can get

nick very tall:
So can anyone tell me if any of these agencies would have permanent jobs.

I doubt it, at best you may find a temp-to-perm offered. But I wouldn`t hold your breath about it actually turning into a full time role.

nick very tall:
do I keep approaching companies until something comes along.

Keep knocking on doors, turn up at various yards, is your best option atm

can get you in at currys but thats about it they will do 12 week temp to perm mate

Apart from the supermarkets and fuel deliveries are there that many class 1 ‘day’ jobs out there that aint agency fodder and what there is out there is the pay that much different ?. I don’t know if the op (and this is not a dig) is a new pass or an old hand but often see people leave or overlook perfectly good class 2 jobs just because their class 1 is burning a hole in their pocket.

nick very tall:
So can anyone tell me if any of these agencies would have permanent jobs or do I keep approaching companies until something comes along.

As far as I’m aware agencies don’t do permanent jobs, they struggle to make anything meaningful the few fake jobs they advertise for peters sake. If I were you I’d keep going to companies direct until something comes up, shouldn’t be long now until things start to pick up again. How about a non hgv job in the meantime?

Pimpdaddy:

As far as I’m aware agencies don’t do permanent jobs, they struggle to make anything meaningful
[/quote]
At Howdens the agency in there have “core drivers” who are there full time, get a Howdens drivers uniform etc. So whilst they’re not fulltime jobs per se, for all intents and purposes they might as well be. A mate of mine has been at a firm on Hull docks via an agency 5 days a week for four months now. They are out there.

Conor:
At Howdens the agency in there have “core drivers” who are there full time, get a Howdens drivers uniform etc. So whilst they’re not fulltime jobs per se, for all intents and purposes they might as well be. A mate of mine has been at a firm on Hull docks via an agency 5 days a week for four months now. They are out there.

Its still not a secure full time job me thinks, they’re just long term temps & anybody can get shot in a heartbeat.

I was regularly checking the job centre website EVERY DAY, (you can set it to view job adverts for that day only), I was checking for any companies that weren’t an agency, it’s not the best way but I was waiting for my license to be returned, one job came up so I sent them my CV, explaining I was waiting for my license, that was at 17.25 last friday, at 17.40 I got a phone call asking If i could come in for an interview, went in last monday for an interview at 10am, phone rang at 12 offered me the job, started on wednesday

There are some jobs out there you just have to go & look

Or get on a couple of good agency that will keep you busy ( I have done in the past )

again find a decent agency, been with one for 2 years, always had work. only time off is holidays ive taken same as any other workplace.

Heard an advert on Trax fm yesterday begging for C+E drivers. The company is Mill Transport (Yorkshire) part of Carlton Forest group at the Peppers site on Carlton Rd just outside Worksop. Maybe worth a call/email.

info@carltonforestgroup.com tel: (01909) 540000

carltonforestgroup.com/logistics/transport/

good luck!!!

Daz1970:
Heard an advert on Trax fm yesterday begging for C+E drivers. The company is Mill Transport (Yorkshire) part of Carlton Forest group at the Peppers site on Carlton Rd just outside Worksop. Maybe worth a call/email.

info@carltonforestgroup.com tel: (01909) 540000

carltonforestgroup.com/logistics/transport/

good luck!!!

If you try Mills at carlton forest, maybe its worth your while trying Elddis Transport who are at carlton forest.
Peppers Warehousing, Carlton Forest, Worksop, Nottinghamshire, S81 0TP, Tel: 01909 732200 alternatively call their
head office on 01207 504511.

Couple of more suggestions if thats ok theres
NFT top of the A38 nr J28 or Wilkinsons in worksop, as for agencies think of it as being paid for trying different companies till you find one you like, use them like they use everyone they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but most importantly its getting you the experience to go for a permanent job you really want.

Why do drivers keep complaining about agencies if they give you the work you want that’s all that matters. Before I stopped driving I did 7 years on agency and if I come back then it’s agency for me, I always had all the work I wanted and where else could I pick when I want to work or if I see a cheap holiday one text to agency to say not working and that’s it trying doing that full time. For me to make it work you find a firm you want to work at find there agency and go to them don’t accept any other work from them and in a couple of weeks that’s all they will give you.

What type of work are u looking for ? If your after tramping work these mite worth a try ?

Select Plant Hire based at Explore manufacturing at Worksop I know they are advertising
On the web site for drivers there I work for them out of another depot pm me if u want
to know more .

Griffin Freight at Retford- they do mainly flat bed precast concrete / steel
Maurice Hill at Kirby near Mansfield - Flat work/ Containers
Bowrings are near Edwinstowe - flat work
Wilkinsons at Worksop
There’s a lot of Haulage firms in Mansfield area to try I must admit I worked for a agency for 6 years before April of last year yes u never know your arse from your elbow but I earnt a living one way or another though it and gained a lot of experience by doing different jobs and types of work .

mac12:
Why do drivers keep complaining about agencies if they give you the work you want that’s all that matters. Before I stopped driving I did 7 years on agency and if I come back then it’s agency for me, I always had all the work I wanted and where else could I pick when I want to work or if I see a cheap holiday one text to agency to say not working and that’s it trying doing that full time. For me to make it work you find a firm you want to work at find there agency and go to them don’t accept any other work from them and in a couple of weeks that’s all they will give you.

Interesting argument that. Especially what with the Pound set to gain vs the Euro after years of being pegged down to it… Cheap holidays on the continent might be had for as little as £200 to places like Turkey over the next few months…

Pimpdaddy:

nick very tall:

As far as I’m aware agencies don’t do permanent jobs, they struggle to make anything meaningful the few fake jobs they advertise for peters sake. If I were you I’d keep going to companies direct until something comes up, shouldn’t be long now until things start to pick up again. How about a non hgv job in the meantime?

i have perm jobs, one of which i offered to nick however it was too far for him to travel with being away all week on top, the other way is 12 weeks temp to perm which 99% of agencies do.
the thing is and i have said this to nick is most chaps come through ‘wanting’ the perm side then once in realise they are at certain sites pretty much going to get year round work so stay as a temp as they like the flexibility (i.e oh am only working 3 days this week etc.).
i would hazard a guess that (and you only need to scroll through a page or 2 on the main part) due to the increasing amount of steering wheel attendants most companies see the taking a driver on temp 1st off, is a better bet than spending £1k on an advert sifting through cv’s interviewing etc.

as i have said to nick best of luck and i will pm him if i hear of anyone recruiting locally to where he is based.

Pimpdaddy:
Its still not a secure full time job me thinks, they’re just long term temps & anybody can get shot in a heartbeat.

Some have been there on agency fulltime 9 years.

m_attt:
again find a decent agency, been with one for 2 years, always had work. only time off is holidays ive taken same as any other workplace.

this is it, had a chap pm me on here, got him into local office said he had not worked since dec, found him job and no show!

Conor:

Pimpdaddy:

Some have been there on agency fulltime 9 years.

There’s agency guys at our place who’ve been there full time for 20 years (apart from holidays and rest days naturally).