Alert! trailer leg fine increase!

Whenever someone spouts this at me, I simply ask “Is that in high gear or low?”

Usually this goes over the head of the expert, who starts banging on about VOSA being self funding and how his mate told him that a lad from another company that run out of the same yard knows someone who got done for it. :unamused:

…Luckily I very, very rarely go into RDCs. :smiley:

ROG:
I would have asked the trainer to show me where that was on the VOSA sanctions list which is available online

I’ve tried catching them out before when they’ve come out with something that i know is complete bulldust. Unfortunately, either by training or design, they’ve always managed to waffle out of the trap by verbal twisting and turning that an aspiring MP would be proud of.

And we don’t use just any old firm Rog, it’s a well-known provider from your neck of the woods.

Seany:

FarnboroughBoy11:
Sometimes when you complete the last turn, the handle won’t go into the stow away bracket anyway so you have to wind it off a bit.

You just put it in between the gears and move it freely to where you want it…

Surely there isn’t any “in between the gears” just imagine the agency drivers dropping loaded trailer’s and leaving the legs in between gears. Some poor sod is gonna work up a sweat winding it back up when it’s on it’s nose:lol:

Shoshaye:

Seany:

FarnboroughBoy11:
Sometimes when you complete the last turn, the handle won’t go into the stow away bracket anyway so you have to wind it off a bit.

You just put it in between the gears and move it freely to where you want it…

Surely there isn’t any “in between the gears” just imagine the agency drivers dropping loaded trailer’s and leaving the legs in between gears. Some poor sod is gonna work up a sweat winding it back up when it’s on it’s nose:lol:

It’s a worm gear an you can get the handle in between Hi and Lo ratio so it is ‘in between’ gears but the worm gear stays engaged so the legs don’t move.

There used to be a VOSA officer who would tweet from the A303 checkpoint. He once tweeted a driver had been given a GV9 an a £60 fine for a driver not stowing the landing legs properly. It was the second time for the same driver, the first time he got words of advice.
All of this per turn crap is just urban myth perpetuated by idiots who don’t have better things to do with their time.

i had the same problem last night and now thanks to the previous posts now i know why. i could,nt get the last two inches up the missus,

it must of been bent :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If VOSA can fine you, then you have committed a criminal offence, so I would be asking under what Act and which section they have made the fine based on?

Ken.

Bugger…
All ours are air or electric… no handle…
How will I know if VOSA are ripping me off or not?
:wink::-D;-):smiley:

Here is an extract from the vosa FPN list. Does it mention “per turn” at any point ?
So ,if

trubster:
It will be going up to £90 a turn soon :smiley:

RDC Waiting room zb

It was £100 in Tesco Peterborough last week :unamused: :laughing:

dozy:
I really can’t see how you’d get a fine,surely you wind them right up anyway,why would you leave them 2/3/ 6 turns short of wound up unless your stupid

Have you never had one that has totally had it where the shunters drop them down too hard ? I had one a few days ago and it was certainly a few turns short of right up i know.

I have heard 15 teen pounds every turn, but not 60. if trailer stuck in low gear they might as well keep it to pay fined.

The Op is correct.On my Dcpc the tutor said the same thing.

Skippy70:
Here is an extract from the vosa FPN list. Does it mention “per turn” at any point ?
So ,if

It goes further than that, in the HGV Inspection manual it even says they cannot fail it if it has parts missing like feet or wheels… As long as the parts that are there are secure, than that is OK.

This inspection applies to all trailers fitted with landing legs.
If any leg or part of a leg is missing it is not a Reason for Failure.

I heard recently that it’s £15 for no chain on your fuel cap, I hope it’s not more because I’ve got no chain and only £16.34 on me :open_mouth:

Scanner:

dozy:

Scanner:
Yes it’s true! On a recent DCPC course a couple of the trainees and the trainer all agreed that the fine had gone up to £60 for each complete turn of the handle. Nodding sagely as they made winding motions and saying “kerching” with each rotation.

I did ask about incomplete turns, but they appeared to be unable to divide sixty by four or two before I could stand no more and had to go outside on the premise of needing a glass of water.

This is a DCPC trainer, let’s not forget.

I really can’t see how you’d get a fine,surely you wind them right up anyway,why would you leave them 2/3/ 6 turns short of wound up unless your stupid :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Cool username, bro.

:smiley: :smiley: . Unfortunately that was probably wasted on him.

I was recently invited into Stafford for a chat, and while the wheeltapper was doing his inspection I directly asked the guy who had done my hours check this question. His response was to laugh and say even we are not that tough its an urban myth that we get asked regularily about

I was told by one of the high ups in VOSA that if told this rubbish ask the idiot telling it what law the offence comes under . This is a question they cannot answer as no law exists covering this .

eric the judge:
I was told by one of the high ups in VOSA that if told this rubbish ask the idiot telling it what law the offence comes under . This is a question they cannot answer as no law exists covering this .

^^^^^^ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I was recently told it was £100 a turn now in my class 1 training

^^^^ I guess that’s ten years of inflation for you.