Aldi drivers

Anyone drive for aldi and have any pros or cons about the company? Interested to know. Thanks

A good friend works for them and he does 2 or 3 stores per shift, quite a lot of hassle once you get to the store as sometimes outside trading hours your the only person around etc so quite a lot of responsibility. Also pallets have to be put away in fridges, empty stacks of pallets/recycling stuff collected etc all done using the electric pallet truck. Decent money (by the area anyway) but not your typical fridge work or even supermarket (big 4) work.

They think they own the road, carve you up, don’t use indicators, generally drive like useless tossers.

Oh wait, you said Aldi drivers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Do they give unrealistic targets and time limits on jobs which you have to literally sweat your ■■■■■■■■ off if you want any chance of achieving? Or are they more like, here’s the stores your going to this shift, crack on, and as long as your not taking the ■■■■ and dragging it out do they leave you alone?

I’d imagine it’s in their interest to not be over the top with time limits for drivers because it will encourage drivers to speed, drive more aggressively etc to try and meet said targets

Paid by the hour, and monitored so no hanging out the job.
They will keep you down to an average of 172 hours per month.
Don’t work overtime shifts early in the month. Your hours at the end of the month will drop.
Check your pay every month. Apparently ‘the system’ is very prone to make mistakes.
Shops are supposed to help you by marshaling you across the car park, onto the bay. Good luck with that.
The store warehouse needs to be ‘prepared’ for your delivery. (Space ready for delivery, return pallets properly stacked.) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I could go on…

(I started in Cardiff, and left after a week.)

What you have to drive through the car park to get to the loading bay !! Surely not .

Your a warehouse worker as well as a driver. Expect to find yourself shrink wrapping pallets where they haven’t been done satisfactorily, figuring out puzzles as how to fit a load onto the trailer, walking into rammed untidy store warehouses and having to find a way of getting it all in, finding the returns poorly stacked etc. Then there are the store carparks you have to negotiate during trading hours - some are a total P.I.T.A.

They look for problem solvers who get the job done, not guys that will be phoning up all the time saying “I can’t do a,b,c because of x,y,z”. If you have got your head screwed on & don’t mind a bit of graft theres no reason it can’t be an enjoyable job. If you can’t do general haulage/RDC work without whinging about stuff all the time, probably best not to bother.

So your monitored so you can’t drag it out for the hours but they don’t give daft time limits which you can’t keep to?

Back the day I used to work on night shift at a well known supermarket and they would give you a section to restock on the shop floor and you’d have a time limit on that, which would have been given by a central hub, not the store, and this would change every shift depending what was on the delivery. So let’s say you were given drinks, the manager would say there you go and looking at his sheet from HQ would tell you’ve got no more than 82 minutes to complete it. Yes 82. Not 90 so it’s a nice round 1 and a half hours, not 75 so it’s 1 hour and a quarter. 82 minutes. And they would all be like that round every section. And to put the icing on the cake those times were only doable if you were quick, knew exactly where every product was without looking, and you literally ran with the cages between the warehouse and shop floor. Then, for the cherry on top you got pulled in if you consistently only just hit the target time. Ie if you got 82 minutes and did it bang on 82 that’s not good enough. They want it done in 81 or 80 minutes if the sheet from the central hub says 82.

Let’s say I lasted about 2 weeks and walked out!

I’m interested in the Aldi driving jobs but if it’s anything like the above with times I couldn’t do it. I’m not scared of hard graft and the fact your part driver and part warehouse staff doesn’t bother me either. But I want to be left to the job to crack on without some ridiculous time that someone who’s just completed a degree in business had come up with who’s sat in an office after a promotion.

Anyone who wants to just crack on and do the job will never make a trolly dolly. You have to ■■■■ up corporate bs with a smile on your face. But if you can put up with the ■■■■ procedures you’ll get good t’s&c’s. We’ll leave the good wages to interpretation, as a good wage on paper isn’t necessarily a good one in practice.

Also said morale wasn’t great as things like some of the more lazy drivers signing/filling out paperwork saying that they removed empty stacks of packaging/pallets etc when infact they hadn’t bothered.

bald bloke:
What you have to drive through the car park to get to the loading bay !! Surely not .

I go past an aldi off j1 m5 west brom back to bilston on the a41 drivers sat on the bay furthest from the entrance with not a space left on the car park look and think how the hell has he got there?
Bugger that thought poundland was stupid enough going through car parks to get in and out of places,(cherry tree Blackpool bearwood and the rock Birkenhead spring to mind).

Been there 3 years now and only started as a temporary job until something better came up
Which says something
If all you want to do is drive all day it’s not for you however if you don’t mind a bit of graft now and then it’s worth a shot
One of the lads used a pedometer on his phone and was averaging 5 miles a day
You can use 15 minutes walking from truck to canteen and back
Overall I would say I have had a lot worse and the blokes who find it suits are not in a rush to leave
The car park issue can cause you hours of fun if you can’t get in phone the office and that’s it you don’t get pestered
One last thing you will have a pallet over at some stage it’s part of the job
My first one was at Xmas 6k of wine written offnot a word of complint from the office it happens

Daytrunker:

bald bloke:

I go past an aldi off j1 m5 west brom back to bilston on the a41 drivers sat on the bay furthest from the entrance with not a space left on the car park look and think how the hell has he got there?
Bugger that thought poundland was stupid enough going through car parks to get in and out of places,(cherry tree Blackpool bearwood and the rock Birkenhead spring to mind).

If what our lads who worked on the Aldi contract we did said was true then they said the design model on the stores that are built over here are exactly the same as what you would get over in Europe as in the loading bays are designed for left hookers and are a pain in the arse to get to and in some cases back onto.

Ears Bleeding:
Been there 3 years now and only started as a temporary job until something better came up
Which says something
If all you want to do is drive all day it’s not for you however if you don’t mind a bit of graft now and then it’s worth a shot
One of the lads used a pedometer on his phone and was averaging 5 miles a day
You can use 15 minutes walking from truck to canteen and back
Overall I would say I have had a lot worse and the blokes who find it suits are not in a rush to leave
The car park issue can cause you hours of fun if you can’t get in phone the office and that’s it you don’t get pestered
One last thing you will have a pallet over at some stage it’s part of the job
My first one was at Xmas 6k of wine written offnot a word of complint from the office it happens
[/quote]

Pretty much every decent sized firm up to multi-national will have insurance for stuff like that so the value is irreverent.

Depends on the individual,some it suits some it dont. My daughter has worked in the Atherstone RDC for years, she says there are Drivers who been there just as long,so it cant be that bad
One mans meat is another mans poison

IT seems they value warehouse pickers higher than drivers when considering the responsibility and manual work involved the wages for driver should be much higher. I enquired about t Cardiff branch and the wages were £10.50 an hour for all hours and I get the impression you are hurried along by people who have never done the job.

Our client is one of the fastest growing Supermarkets in the World and now has over 640 UK stores. Aldi have vacancies for Permanent & Temp - Perm Warehouse Pickers, to work in their new Regional Distribution Centre in Cardiff.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an award winning retailer within their newest and biggest UK Distribution Centre from the very beginning.
Aldi is recognized as an excellent employer and has a fantastic culture which provides stability, security and the opportunity to progress.
As an Order Picker, your role will be to achieve service levels at all times, whilst contributing to an efficient and co-operative working environment, optimum productivity and minimal inventory loss.Receiving instructions through a headset, you will ‘pick’ stock for a specific store and load it onto a pallet.
This is then cling-wrapped and put in a particular lane for the Driver to collect and put safely onto a lorry.
Our Selectors tell us it’s a fun team to be part of, with plenty of variety and responsibility.
You’ll also ensure that full pallets are secured - and clearly marked with the right store number - and that all the paperwork is accurate. We have various shifts available: Days, Nights, Evenings.

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: £10.59 /hour hgv driver £10.50

Know we are out of the EU I don’t see much of a future for companys like Aldi or Lidl as all there products come from Europe I can guarantee they will struggle to find national drivers .

bob96:
Know we are out of the EU I don’t see much of a future for companys like Aldi or Lidl as all there products come from Europe I can guarantee they will struggle to find national drivers .

Considering they have over 600 stores each don’t think they will be leaving?

Also what about tescos asda and others, they get foreign produce??

bob96:
Know we are out of the EU

We aint out the EU yet, long road ahead before that happens.

They are building a new RDC in Sheerness Kent, be interesting to see what sort of drivers come out of there, to be honest i have never heard a good word said about them.

bald bloke:

same as some Iceland stores [so I heard]if that’s the case it would be a bxxxxy nightmare