Aldi Cardiff

What is the score with them demanding all visiting drivers wear a mask, but everyone in the warehouse who work for Aldi not having to do so? Do they think we are diseased and dirty? Do they think we don’t deserve the protection that they demand from us?

Obviously I did ask in person. But was told to ask my company. I explained that it wasn’t my company asking me wear one when others were not required. This seemed to annoy them. When I asked a manager I was told they were simply following ‘government guidlines’.

I have no problem with the self tip on principle. But I do object to the forklift drivers flying around putting me at risk. I also object to them making me sign a waiver saying I’m fully trained when I’ve never had training. I just worked it out. Why not offer drivers propper instruction so everyone is safe?

It all seems a step too far. How can a driver with self respect take this? If I go back I will be having some fun and games. First I’m going to tell them medically I can’t wear a mask. Then I’m going to claim I’ve hurt myself with the electic pump and ask for them to fill in the accident book. I’ll be asking for names and saying they are breaching the disability discrimination act.

Tell them you self-identify as the depot manager, and mislabelling you as a lorry driver is an oppressive hate crime. Make sure you have the police on speed dial, and let them know it.

Gotta be…

Rowleyjakethetrampsysnake innit.

worldsbestdriver:
It all seems a step too far. How can a driver with self respect take this? If I go back I will be having some fun and games. First I’m going to tell them medically I can’t wear a mask. Then I’m going to claim I’ve hurt myself with the electic pump and ask for them to fill in the accident book. I’ll be asking for names and saying they are breaching the disability discrimination act.

Good luck with that. I’m sure all the cameras in the warehouse will miss you pretending to hurt yourself.

Just tip the ruddy pallets off. I frequently have 33 boards to tip when I get there, it takes me 35 minutes and I get to burn a few calories as well.

If you dislike certain places ask yer gaffer not to send you there. You and your petty crusade won’t change a ■■■■■■■ thing with a massive company like Aldi. Sooner you work that out, the better off you’ll be.

It’s like in shops and about minimising risk. The shop worker is there all day, a customer is there 10/15 minutes. So the customer can put on a face mask for that time but do you really want to work in one for 8-10 hours?

Same at the RDC the warehouse staff are there all day but a driver is there for 45-60 minutes so for that time put a mask on.

worldsbestdriver:
What is the score with them demanding all visiting drivers wear a mask, but everyone in the warehouse who work for Aldi not having to do so? Do they think we are diseased and dirty? Do they think we don’t deserve the protection that they demand from us?

Obviously I did ask in person. But was told to ask my company. I explained that it wasn’t my company asking me wear one when others were not required. This seemed to annoy them. When I asked a manager I was told they were simply following ‘government guidlines’.

I have no problem with the self tip on principle. But I do object to the forklift drivers flying around putting me at risk. I also object to them making me sign a waiver saying I’m fully trained when I’ve never had training. I just worked it out. Why not offer drivers propper instruction so everyone is safe?

GET REAL, you enter a Companies premises to load /offload you play by THEIR rules. Dont like it dont go in.
I am led to believe Aldi staff are regularly checked so the last thing they want is some bolshy outsider,possibly spreading the virus.Same as self tip dont like it dont go in.
You most likely spent more time complaining than it took to tip

Many years ago when I was even more clueless than I am now I went to a lidl for the first time with 33 pallets of coke. My mate told me to tell them I wasn’t trained on the electric trucks and that they would unload me, they gave me a hand pallet truck :smiley:

Is it Troll o’clock ?
It’s not like some RDC’s where you’re crammed in to an 8x8 room with 6 other drivers !
Also if Aldi is like Lidl’s there some nice bits of stuff working in the wear house

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I must admit I don’t get this your tipped so much faster at a Aldi / Lidl because you self tip , it’s often 2 hrs with waiting for p o d & it’s the only
Places of late I’ve been pulled out after 3 hours & not even on a bay
Stood outside door at that new one at p/ bro for 45 mins until someone decided to open warehouse door, think this fast tip
Is more drivers trying to make themselves feel better for having to tip the load themselves

dozy:
I must admit I don’t get this your tipped so much faster at a Aldi / Lidl because you self tip , it’s often 2 hrs with waiting for p o d & it’s the only
Stood outside door at that new one at p/ bro for 45 mins until someone decided to open warehouse door, think this fast tip
Is more drivers trying to make themselves feel better for having to tip the load themselves

Depends if you have to wit for p/work or not, some just give it to the next driver.

Never waited long at Aldi for p/work - 20 minutes at most, Lidl is a different ball game though. I would much prefer half hour unloading in Aldi than 3 hours in a waiting room at Tesco. If you did a few more Aldi’s you might get home on a Friday night :slight_smile:

joeyd:

dozy:

Depends if you have to wit for p/work or not, some just give it to the next driver.

Never waited long at Aldi for p/work - 20 minutes at most, Lidl is a different ball game though. I would much prefer half hour unloading in Aldi than 3 hours in a waiting room at Tesco. If you did a few more Aldi’s you might get home on a Friday night :slight_smile:

You are not doing 3 hours in a waiting room atm are you… Its 3 hours (and its rarely that long) on your bunk chilling in the cab.

My point wasnt self tip tbh. Its the pathetic way they make drivers wear a mask and dont have their own staff wear them.

Some plonker said aldi test their staff so its not needed. Talk about daft. If they think the risk of transmission is so great that masks are required then it should be masks for all.

Was speaking to a lad at our place who dropped a pallet of beer at that aldi. They not only demanded he re stack it but also made him do all the cleanup. Id have laughed myself silly and refused point blank. Plenty of jobs for drivers like myself that dont require you to degrade yourself.

worldsbestdriver:

joeyd:

dozy:

You are not doing 3 hours in a waiting room atm are you… Its 3 hours (and its rarely that long) on your bunk chilling in the cab.

My point wasnt self tip tbh. Its the pathetic way they make drivers wear a mask and dont have their own staff wear them.

Some plonker said aldi test their staff so its not needed. Talk about daft. If they think the risk of transmission is so great that masks are required then it should be masks for all.

Was speaking to a lad at our place who dropped a pallet of beer at that aldi. They not only demanded he re stack it but also made him do all the cleanup. Id have laughed myself silly and refused point blank. Plenty of jobs for drivers like myself that dont require you to degrade yourself.

I’ll bite.
What is so “degrading” about, what? self tipping?
Pretty poor show if someone can’t drive a single pallet of beer on a pallet truck without tipping it over.

Its the age old customer supplier thing, if you are the supplier you have to abide by the customer’s rules, that’s just how it is.

A driver is selling his skills to the company employing him, hence driver is supplier to his employer, if you work for a supplier you are their paid representative, what the ultimate customer wants the customer gets, the customer in this case Aldi is effectively paying your wages.

Those who think they can dictate terms to their customer, whether a supplier or a driver, find out in short order when they are no longer required that reversing the roles isn’t good practice.

No i don’t like having to don a mask either, but i have no choice if that’s demanded by a customer, without customers the company has no business and i have no job.

Masks are basically pointless anyway, a couple of months ago the experts told us they are useless but the narrative and the reasons for this have shifted (as the compliance and surrender of the vast majority of people to the new tyrrany have encouraged the designers of this to go for their ultimate goals faster), and no i don’t agree with them and don’t conform to the new control or other agendas when i’m outside of my work.

worldsbestdriver:

joeyd:

dozy:

Widnes and Avonmouth have already stopped you sitting in your cab, won’t be long till the rest do as well. Partly down to ■■■■ drivers, all they had to do was sit in the passenger seat but they wouldn’t even do that. If drivers can’t be trusted to follow even the most basic and easy instructions who can blame Tesco for kicking them out

joeyd:
Widnes and Avonmouth have already stopped you sitting in your cab, won’t be long till the rest do as well. Partly down to [zb] drivers, all they had to do was sit in the passenger seat but they wouldn’t even do that. If drivers can’t be trusted to follow even the most basic and easy instructions who can blame Tesco for kicking them out

Where are drivers waiting instead?

Juddian:
Its the age old customer supplier thing, if you are the supplier you have to abide by the customer’s rules, that’s just how it is.

A driver is selling his skills to the company employing him, hence driver is supplier to his employer, if you work for a supplier you are their paid representative, what the ultimate customer wants the customer gets, the customer in this case Aldi is effectively paying your wages.

Those who think they can dictate terms to their customer, whether a supplier or a driver, find out in short order when they are no longer required that reversing the roles isn’t good practice.

No i don’t like having to don a mask either, but i have no choice if that’s demanded by a customer, without customers the company has no business and i have no job.

Masks are basically pointless anyway, a couple of months ago the experts told us they are useless but the narrative and the reasons for this have shifted (as the compliance and surrender of the vast majority of people to the new tyrrany have encouraged the designers of this to go for their ultimate goals faster), and no i don’t agree with them and don’t conform to the new control or other agendas when i’m outside of my work.

I see your point mate. And im always happy to get stuck in and help out. Ive climbed into countless frdiges with a pump trolley etc. Just seems off to demand it and then not even offer to help if a pallet goes over. I wouldnt stand it - but then im maybe a fool whod lose my job.

Eitherway its a strange game this driving. At a morrisons store and backdoor man wont let me in the trailer to help. Not my job and not allowed apparently.

The masks thing wound me up. Just because it seems like they are laughing at visiting drivers. I am going to go on a wind up when im next there. But i think my boss knows that and will send the other lads. Which aint fair. Seems like its impossible to beat the blighters.

joeyd:

ezydriver:

Drivers waiting room. The man and his clipboard got to me just as I had been tipped, I assume the shunter grassed me up. When I went to get keys I noticed the signs on the GI door etc.

But we’re in the middle of a pandemic with UK numbers slowly on the rise again. I guess Tesco missed the memo about that.

ezydriver:

joeyd:

ezydriver:

Drivers waiting room. The man and his clipboard got to me just as I had been tipped, I assume the shunter grassed me up. When I went to get keys I noticed the signs on the GI door etc.

But we’re in the middle of a pandemic with UK numbers slowly on the rise again. I guess Tesco missed the memo about that.

Covid 19, a disease so deadly you need a test to tell you if you’ve got it.
How many people have died this week purely of it one might wonder.

Juddian:

ezydriver:

joeyd:

ezydriver:

Covid 19, a disease so deadly you need a test to tell you if you’ve got it.
How many people have died this week purely of it one might wonder.

Probably about the same number of people who died a while before it went exponential. Let’s not dismiss the yet-to-be understood implications of long-covid either. Also, let’s not dismiss those of us who could carry it and pass it onto loved ones who, if they were to catch it, would probably die.