Albert Fisher Carriers

Any one got any photo’s of this fleet?
they were based in the old Parker Packing factory at Plough Lane in Deptford,

My fast fading memory seems to remember only Scania units, and he was 90% container work. I do remember that it seemed to be quite a regular event that when a unit was nearing the end of its working life a container or two would be blown off the stack in the yard and fortunatly land on top of said unit writing it off.

I Remember seeing Albert Fisher in tilbury docks light blue and white Scania 111 would be great to see some photos

Remember them in the early 90’s used to sub a bit to them when I was in P&O’s office in 39berth Tilbury…They had a few ERF and Sed Atki units then tho and I always thought they were based in West Thurrock .Mark Fisher if I remember was a really nice bloke but unsure of the reasons behind them finishing.

I think they packed up when the yard in Deptford was sold for housing, they were running ERFs at the time, another firm nearby was Gains Transport, they ran ERFs too I think, I do know that it was run by a bird called Alicia, which is Sarf London for Alice :exclamation:

newmercman:
I think they packed up when the yard in Deptford was sold for housing, they were running ERFs at the time, another firm nearby was Gains Transport, they ran ERFs too I think, I do know that it was run by a bird called Alicia, which is Sarf London for Alice :exclamation:

I worked for Gains for a few years, the old man Phil ran it and Alicia took over when he retired, was a good small family firm, a few years ago (over 20 years after I left) I needed to park the wagon up in South London over a weekend, Rang Alicia out of the blue and asked, and it was no problem whatsoever. Old Harry (who was knocking on a bit when I worked there) still lived just over the road and appeared with a key to the yard as I drove towards the yard :wink:

When I was there I started on a Bedford TK, moved to a KM , then got a brand new Bedford TL… they at that time ran Day cabbed DAF on artics, and their first ever sleeper cab was an ERF C40 bought second hand from LINK transport of Hull, Work was 99% local, on the rigids mainly working for timber merchants, the artics worked mainly out of Convoys, or Polish Ocean Lines out of Purfleet.

I wonder if they still going…

As far as I know they’re all finished, it’s all poncey appartments now. My mate runs a couple on spanish out of Deptford but he’s the only one I know of in the area now. Convoys store for the Daily Mail, but only in 1 of the smaller sheds, so that’ll be next :frowning:

Did you know a bloke called Les Buckwell, he cut his teeth on a Gains TK, im worked with him somewhere or another, nice bloke, sounds like he gargles with sulphuric acid :laughing:

I knew Les very well at the time, havent seen him for years If I remember right Gains put him through his class one, real nice guy, Last time I saw him he was on for MJD’s loading in Coca -Cola at Sidcup

The transport manager at Gains was a real nice bloke called Dave Gordon, I left a few months before he moved on, as got an offer on plant hire work for far more money, Dave got a job on an own account company out of Peckham, paying (then) terrific money (£250 a week job and knock + £11 night out) , nice leased trucks,no pressure work (although a bit hard on the back, at times!! :wink: ) and called most of his old Gains drivers up for the job,

I believe he went on to work at Allports…after Commercial Plywood (Comply) went bust (Ignore name they didnt do Plywood, plasterboard and partioning systems)

last I knew of Les he was still doing a bit for MJD, haven’t seen him for a while now, but like you say a real nice bloke :smiley:

Who was you on for doing the coca cola :question: I did a bit for MJD myself & also subbed for Falcon Roadways when I started as an O/D

I was on for FVS of Teesside but running the Coca Cola contract that FVS parent company had (Prestons of Potto)

Happy days, load Wakefeild Sunday for East Kilbride tip, load empties for Sidcup, tip load for east Kilbride , , tip Load for Sidcup… tip East Kilbride and so on, lots of miles easy work and no hassle

Did FVS (Prestons) have one of the first FHs in Coke colours? I remember seeing one in Sidcup & wondering who it belonged to, couldn’t understand a word the driver said so it must’ve been a NE company :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Albert Fisher Carriers moved from Deptford to the Purfleet Industrial Park, Purfleet, Essex around 1990. Albert himself died soon after and the firm was run by Mark Fisher and his Mum. The fleet had been DAF’s and Scanias from the early seventies, ERF’s up to the time thet went bust, I think around 1994/5.
Some of the trucks were yellow and painted up Morline.

Knowall,
Did they still have the yard in Deptford? I’m sure they were there after 1990, I remember seeing them there & that would’ve been 94, when I was doing a bit of UK :question:

No, they are long gone. Knew some of the drivers well, Eric Fitzgerald Senior and Junior and Tommy Hardy (Bleck Tom)