Air 'Con'

Since the hot weather began its almost impossible to sleep properly at night in my ‘tin coffin’ and when our new vehicles arrived they had been de-specified with amongst other things no aircon fitted.

When asked why, the big cheeses said it was a fuel saving measure and we didn’t really need it anyway in this country so we’ll just have to get on with it.

I asked if they were also going to turn off the aircon in the offices to which he replied that they had to legally provide a comfortable working environment for them so it stays on or they will go home due to the heat!!

So now I am at the bottom of the pecking and I’ll just have crack on!

Does anyone else have to put up with this kind of crap?

fredthered:
Since the hot weather began its almost impossible to sleep properly at night in my ‘tin coffin’ and when our new vehicles arrived they had been de-specified with amongst other things no aircon fitted.

When asked why, the big cheeses said it was a fuel saving measure and we didn’t really need it anyway in this country so we’ll just have to get on with it.

I asked if they were also going to turn off the aircon in the offices to which he replied that they had to legally provide a comfortable working environment for them so it stays on or they will go home due to the heat!!

You should point out that the cab of your truck is also your working place and he is legally obliged to provide a comfortable and safe working environment ,hence the no smoking signs that should be plastered over every piece of plastic, lest you forget

Funnily enough I don’t smoke. I don’t care if someone else does on my 2 days off either so long as they clean up and wipe down after themselves and make sure that they’ve not used the ash tray (I keep it for loose change).

I can’t though stand the smell of someone else’s sweat!

I take all my gear out even for just my 2 days off.

fredthered:
Funnily enough I don’t smoke. I don’t care if someone else does on my 2 days off either so long as they clean up and wipe down after themselves and make sure that they’ve not used the ash tray (I keep it for loose change).

I can’t though stand the smell of someone else’s sweat!

I take all my gear out even for just my 2 days off.

Happened to me that did the other day ,got in the wagon and it absolutely honked of stale sweat …took 3 ciggies to get the smell out :wink:

The good old British lorry firm boss at his best nothing changes :exclamation:

fredthered:

Your boss has been ill-advised. The increased drag from driving with cab windows open at speeds of 30 mph or more exceeds the parasitic drag that aircon imposes on a truck engine…and that’s according to Volvo.

Sounds like my place and we’re primarily and air conditioning company! :angry: my iveco never came with air con but the lad who drives the van has really drew the short straw.

They sold his top of the range sprinter with all the bells a whistles for a new Peugeot boxer with not even a bulkhead let alone air con :laughing: . just so happens I’m driving it until I go on holiday, the joy :imp:

fredthered:

Sounds like an old school boss, aint they great. Found mostly at social clubs in retirement looking over their shoulders a lot and drinking alone.

However if aircon was standard kit he has actively made a decision to reduce the drivers comfort to scrimp a few pennies that as mentioned will be negated once the windows are opened and will also hurt the trucks resale value.

Air con can be used to quickly demist as well so its not just for driver comfort.

Does he have a company car and does it have air con ?

Course we don’t need aircon as tough truckers we can cope with anything.

" hello boss, I cannot drive this lorry in a safe and efficent manner due to the heat making me drowsy/tired, can you bring me out a lorry with air con".

:open_mouth:

I always wondered why “industrial action” cannot consist of removing fuses from Office Acon units, in the event that there is a dispute over “them” getting all mod cons, and “us” not.

If you don’t fight for the right, you HAVE no rights.

We must not believe all this rubbish that “Unions are to be discouraged, Industrial action of the kind that works is illegal, but of the kind that just costs the striker lost pay is perfectly legal”.

The same applies to drivers forming an official picket - What’s wrong with parking an artic across the firm’s gates and then going home, the keys hidden at work so no one can be accused of stealing anything… :smiling_imp:

What ya gonna do otherwise? - Gurn at the incoming scabs but then be obliged by law to stand aside and let them through?
Industrial action should consist of “putting the firm temporarily beyond use”. It’s not hard. Bugger if it’s “illegal” or not, since the laws are only there to protect them - the grasping minority from “us”, - those that actually do the work anyways. :imp:

Soap Box.jpg
FFS - The country is going to the dogs because everyone LETS it. :frowning:

Even slaves didn’t have to worry about having their bed and board paid. Today’s wages don’t pay rents/mortgages AND put food on the table without copious amounts of extra hours put in at work. The very word “Sabotage” itself involved throwing shoes into the machinery to stop it. History remembers it kindly, not as some kind of crime against business owners, which is how modern business owners would have it.

On another note, how many are still falling for the “We use daycabs because we don’t do nights out” argument?
Don’t PAY nights out more like. A firm “not doing nights out” should shut the yard down at midnight until 6am" with all wagons expected home by midnight, similar to the way Airport runways are run. If you run a 24/7 operation, then your doing nights out in deed, even if not being paid for it properly.

Show your boss this.

I noticed that all our new lorries now lack aircon, but the older ones that we are getting rid of have it…strange that. No need to comment on office or company car specs, I am sure you can work them out.

Of course as the driver of a non air-con truck, you can soon demonstrate how much fuel he’s saving…rag the bugger everywhere. Five mpg or lower should be your target.

Jeez, I wouldn’t fancy no air con in this weather, I think my nuts would melt off.

fredthered:
‘…Air ‘Con’ … Does anyone else have to put up with this kind of crap…?’

Well, the current fleet of 60-61 plated day-prams have air con but no night heaters for those fun winter hours spent malingering at DC’s & collections, etc :frowning:

All’s about evens with year-round misery becoming guaranteed as many of the 60 platers begin needing air-con recharges which the company are choosing to neglect whilst relying on us saps being ‘real-men’ - which, these days, too many relish boshing-on through in a sweat :neutral_face:

Progress maybe, and it’s still easier getting a week out of a shirt in February :exclamation: :unamused:

GasGas:
Of course as the driver of a non air-con truck, you can soon demonstrate how much fuel he’s saving…rag the bugger everywhere. Five mpg or lower should be your target.

Our new trucks have all the bells and whistles including telematics. I drive these properly. Today I got a 10 year old day cab with no air con and a manual box.

2000rpm before change ups :grimacing:

GasGas:

fredthered:

Your boss has been ill-advised. The increased drag from driving with cab windows open at speeds of 30 mph or more exceeds the parasitic drag that aircon imposes on a truck engine…and that’s according to Volvo.

Quite true and the reasons that manufacturers spend thousands of hours inside a wind tunnel is to get that last bit of economy, an open window invites the surrounding wind to buffet you around the head or headrest.

my lorry not only has no air con but the fan doesn’t work so no hot or cold air, also the radio, the ■■■ lighter and the 12v socket don’t work so no phone charger and then the drivers window wont wind down because someone broke the handle and their is no seatbelts because its fourteen years old so if i hit something even at low speed its through the windscreen i go and also the clutch keeps going stiff every few times its pressed because of a faulty air pressure sensor so look at it this way it could be much worse if even the radio worked id be happy :slight_smile:

That’s your bloody fault!

jay0:
my lorry not only has no air con but the fan doesn’t work so no hot or cold air, also the radio, the ■■■ lighter and the 12v socket don’t work so no phone charger and then the drivers window wont wind down because someone broke the handle and their is no seatbelts because its fourteen years old so if i hit something even at low speed its through the windscreen i go and also the clutch keeps going stiff every few times its pressed because of a faulty air pressure sensor so look at it this way it could be much worse if even the radio worked id be happy :slight_smile:

get a new job :unamused: