Ain't broadboand fantastic

I’ve just ordered it and set it up on my machine. It’s well worth the cash. Trouble is I’ll have square eyes by the end of the weekend if I go on at this rate :open_mouth: :smiley: :laughing: .

TheBigOne:
I’ve just ordered it and set it up on my machine. It’s well worth the cash. Trouble is I’ll have square eyes by the end of the weekend if I go on at this rate :open_mouth: :smiley: :laughing: .

Yep once you have it there is no going back to the phone lines!
The internet can be much more entertaining than the TV once you know where to go!

We have had this broadband for about 18 months now, it is included in th cable TV package. It does have a downside though. — We got up one morning to find that we could not access the internet because a Hacker had detected our constant online status and stolen our ID etc. We had to switch the whole thing off for about 6 hours for the hacker to be traced and shut down. :open_mouth:

Pat Hasler:
We have had this broadband for about 18 months now, it is included in th cable TV package. It does have a downside though. — We got up one morning to find that we could not access the internet because a Hacker had detected our constant online status and stolen our ID etc. We had to switch the whole thing off for about 6 hours for the hacker to be traced and shut down. :open_mouth:

One will remember to set the firewall going next time won’t one :question: :laughing: :laughing: :smiling_imp:

TheBigOne:

Who are you with, Ian :question:

ive been on ntl 600k broadband now for about 18 months and i couldnt go back to dial up ever.

simon

Rob K:

TheBigOne:

Who are you with, Ian :question:

BT. Finished work about midnight last night and rushed home and set it up. BTW, I’ve got the old Norton Internet security going on the laptop. After about five munites, it stopped a trojan. For the peace of mind it was well worth the dosh :wink: .

I’ve been with BT Broadband for about 2 years now, wouldn’t want to go back to dial up ever. Service has been excellent and never had a problem and it has been connected 24/7 through a wireless router since I moved into this house last August, sometime three of us are using it at once so gettuing full value for money. When we were house hunting I checked any potential house to see if it could get broadband or not and any that couldn’t were rejected. :smiley: :smiley:

I am with NTL 1gig conection 2 PC’s together through a wireless router!
Both going hammer & tong most of the times!!

Best thing is with NTL is after you have had it a while you can phone NTL and tell them about this cheap deal you have been offered :wink: and your thinking of moving. I now pay £14.99 for my 1 gig service. :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Another good thing about NTL is that someone hacking you and stealing your id is pracrtically impossible as its the modem thats registered.

Most people would not advise NOT using a firewall i have not used one for about a year now and have never had any problems, although i do use a good anti virus.

I,m on Ntl 1 gig too i almost threatened to switch to BT for there amazing free flights offer but after doing some sums i would still have been about £300 worse off a year, so i,m sticking with ntl an NEVER had a problem with it (well nothing major).

Coffee, the wireless router sounds like a good idea. Can you get them from BT or do you have to buy them seperate?

I think BT do them but I bought mine elsewhere. It is handy as it saves running cables. My main PC is wired into the router because it is right next to it, mine and my eldests sons laptops use Wi-Fi PCMIA cards and my youngest has a Wi-Fi PCI card in his machine. I can also use the net on my iPAQ using it’s built in Wi-Fi and the router. Since I installed the router we seem to get more use of the net connection. The router has a built in fire wall and along with Norton Antivirus I’ve never had a problem with attacks etc.

I wouldnt buy ANYTHING from BT unless they are the only ones who sell it they will be double the price of anyone else.

the wireless router sounds like a good idea. Can you get them from BT or do you have to buy them seperate?

You can get a wireless router from most PC shops now for around £70. If you buy off the net it may be cheaper. Netgear, Linksys or Belkin are good ones. I use the Linksys. If you are running wireless don’t forget to run WEP Encryption to stop anyone useing your connection. A software firewall is a must even if you have NAT enabled.

hollywood:

t If you are running wireless don’t forget to run WEP Encryption to stop anyone useing your connection. A software firewall is a must even if you have NAT enabled.

What’s that encryption thingie then?

My front room looks like a plate of spaghettie at the mo so next week I may well have one.

It’s a bit like a password. The router wont let you connect to it if you don’t give the right encryption key. Some makes will let you put a pass phrase in first, which generates a 10 or 26 digit key; some only let you put the key in. It gives you 64 or 128 bit security on the network. Basically stops anyone using your broadband connection for free.

jammymutt:
Most people would not advise NOT using a firewall i have not used one for about a year now and have never had any problems, although i do use a good anti virus.

Why?

Quote from http://www.grc.com a security site…

You might be thinking “Hey, the Internet’s a huge place, right? No one’s ever going to notice me.” Sure. But technically savvy intruders are using high-speed “Internet Scanners” that can probe every computer in a small country within a short time! Nothing would make them happier than lifting your personal information, credit card numbers, bank account balances, and so forth through your computer’s insecure connection to the Internet.

Dave

shogun:

jammymutt:

Why?

Quote from http://www.grc.com a security site…

Nothing would make them happier than lifting your personal information, credit card numbers, bank account balances, and so forth through your computer’s insecure connection to the Internet.

Dave

And there are us not STUPID enough to keep info like that on them firewall or not :slight_smile:.

Not meant as a dig but if you keep that info on your pc ,well YES you are stupid!!!, i keep very little on my pc i burn anything i need to disc straight away so if the hackers want it they can have it but theres not a lot on here for them.

Jammymutt, If you are not running a firewall I think you have been unbelievably lucky to get away with no serious problems with your pc. What antivirus do you use? Do you have any other form of protection from the internet? I don’t mean to sound patronising but do you know about Trojans or Worms? Do you realise your PC can be used without your knowledge to send e-mails containing them and for other malicious purposes. With a 1meg connection you may not notice the reduction of bandwidth while they are using your PC.
If you are up to speed on these things then I apologise but lots of people are not and this is why these virus and things continue to plague the internet. The most recent being the Sasser worm which could infect an unprotected PC within 5 seconds of connecting to the internet.

hollywood:
Jammymutt, If you are not running a firewall I think you have been unbelievably lucky to get away with no serious problems with your pc. What antivirus do you use? Do you have any other form of protection from the internet? I don’t mean to sound patronising but do you know about Trojans or Worms? Do you realise your PC can be used without your knowledge to send e-mails containing them and for other malicious purposes. With a 1meg connection you may not notice the reduction of bandwidth while they are using your PC.
If you are up to speed on these things then I apologise but lots of people are not and this is why these virus and things continue to plague the internet. The most recent being the Sasser worm which could infect an unprotected PC within 5 seconds of connecting to the internet.

They would have a hard job sending e-mails as i dont have outloox express ALL my e-mail are with online servers (webmail). and as i say if i have any problems i simply format i dont like firewalls they slow your pc down and as i use mine mainly for gaming i cant afford that to happen.

I have a 40G H/D with only about 10 gig of info on it, mainly games to be honest,and a 20gig H/D with nothing on it .

I have had the dropper bridge a worm on my system before but got rid easily, I havent had the sasser worm yet but if i do my anti virus will get rid, i use Norton .

Like i said at the beginning most people would advise a firewall i just cant afford to be any slower, ive got a 2.6 proc/ 512k ddram/ and a 128 meg ddr graphics card and its still TOO slow for me time to upgrade again i think.

I just cant stand slwo connection when im gaming.