Aggregate Industries / Bardon / Ect

This lot have been advertising in our local paper for “franchise Hauliers”, what are good + bad bits, my brother-in-law wants to go the owner-driver route, and, has been talking up the prospect of becoming a franchisee.

I have seen plenty of their 8 wheelers on the A38 southbound at night last week, doing the resurfacing work outside the nick @ swinfen, all pretty impressive kit…

Give me a clue, I don`t want him ■■■■■■■ with schysters…

Seems these aggregates companies want to flood their quarries with trucks so on the odd days when theyare busy they can service their work,then when its quiet you can sit about.I run 2 8s in our local quarry and it aint too bad but they are buying 2 of their own and want more and to be honest we aint that busy.My advice is buy second hand and give it a go for 2 years,dont get into these rip off schemes they come up with like charging extra percentage on their own HP so you can hand the keys back if it goes pear shaped go it on your own as much as you can

Our lot do a lot of work for Bardons.
One thing to be aware of is that they are extremely OTT with health and safety.

Don’t get me wrong, quarries can be dangerous places and so can the sites you deliver to.

However

! thing to note if going the second hand route

“New or replacement tipper vehicles engaged after 01.07.04 must be fitted with some form of sheeting system that is operable from inside the confines of the vehicle’s cab. This is mandatory for franchised and core fleet vehicles.”

That is a direct quote taken from their haulier rule book issue 3 (2006), section 4 paragraph 3

So basically you will need an expensive electric easysheet system so you would be looking at later model vehicles.

Firstly I’m speaking from expierience with Tarmac, not Hansons.

One thing I can add is to check the contract carefully, you could find that the only gaurrentee you have is the guarrentee for the finance. As has been said the interest rate will be greater than you can get elsewhere. But, on the tipper side, they do seem to prioritise the contract lads before the outsiders.

One thing they might do is supply fuel and tyres at cheaper rates, but also check these before you buy, we’re currently getting fuel 2ppl cheaper elsewhere than on the contract card.

Put it this way the scheme is not without merits but round here I know of a couple of lads who have had two or three and gone back to just one. Go figure. :wink:

The problem with tipper work is when one quarry is quiet, they all tend to be so everybody in the area sits. However, when it is that quiet, the contract wagons do get priority on whatever work becomes available.

Also, you want to read the small-print r.e working for others or yourself. Somedon’t like you pulling for their competition, others don’t mind as much - provided they don’t have any work themselves. :unamused:

I have just gained a contract with Hanson…my parents own tippers and mixers through these companies and my brother also ownes various wagons through the same way.

the pay is good and provides a good living.
Id recommend it. I cant wait to get started Ive actually just ordered a Scania p124 the other day but if everything proves to be well, then ill be getting afew more trucks later on down the line.

Even though all my family are in the business its still scary to know ive just got myself into almost 98grands worth of debt for a truck (inc VAT) lol
but i can relay on the fact there should not be any break downs, it covers you more getting a newer one than a second hand one (in my opinion anyway)

Im only 26 and im taking the risk, i think its worth it

98 grand for a ####### 8 wheeler :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
What did you order with it gold wheels instead of alloys :question:
Give me a fortnight and I’ll have you a new 410hp 8x4 Hino with insulated ally body for 62 grand. :smiley: :sunglasses:

lol

Thats from kel-berg which includes the insulated tipping body,
(should have made it more clear oops sorry )

I just don’t know how a man starting off (even as a “contract haulier”) can make it pay with a brand new 8 wheeler,here are my “rough” figures for running a new 8 wheeler:
£1500/month truck payment
£2000/month diesel
£500/month truck insurance
£200/GIT/public liability insurance
£200/month tyres
£1900/month wages (you want to be drawing at least £400/week wages plus income tax for the “stress/hassle” of going “contract haulier”)
So I’ve got a fantasy figure of grossing £6300/month BEFORE I make any money,or maybe my figures are wrong :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :confused:
What is the average amount your “hoping” to gross/month with your new wagon :question:

There is not much stress involved or none that ive noticed with my family…yes them figures are about right.
roughly 600 per week wages.
once the wagon is paid for ill have what would have been my repayment as profit aswell.

I could have gone down the second hand road but i want a wagon from new that i know will be well looked after and that will serve me well once its been paid for.

I have always wanted my own lorry but my brother started before me,
if i wasnt going to make a decent living from it then i wouldnt do it, but like all my family I intend on taking on more wagons further on down the line.

if it didnt pay a decent profit then people just wouldnt bother doing it.

but one things for sure, only time will tell.
ill let you know how i get on lol

Big Truck:
98 grand for a ####### 8 wheeler :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
Give me a fortnight and I’ll have you a new 410hp 8x4 Hino with insulated ally body for 62 grand. :smiley: :sunglasses:

BigTruck, I’m intrigued by these Hino’s. A few people (quarry operators) round here have had them on demo but no-one has taken the plunge yet. There seems to be some worries over residual values.

I’ve read some positive things about them in the trade press, particularly their off-road ability and the figures sure look tempting. :sunglasses:

Will residuals be that bad when compared with Scania / Volvo?

Tipper-driver01:
There is not much stress involved or none that ive noticed with my family…yes them figures are about right.
roughly 600 per week wages.
once the wagon is paid for ill have what would have been my repayment as profit aswell.

I could have gone down the second hand road but i want a wagon from new that i know will be well looked after and that will serve me well once its been paid for.

I have always wanted my own lorry but my brother started before me,
if i wasnt going to make a decent living from it then i wouldnt do it, but like all my family I intend on taking on more wagons further on down the line.

if it didnt pay a decent profit then people just wouldnt bother doing it.

but one things for sure, only time will tell.
ill let you know how i get on lol

£600/week wages+25% “put aside” for income tax is £3000/month,so you will now have to gross £7400/month to break even :exclamation: :exclamation:
There must be some real good rates about for an 8 wheeler on the “mainland” as guy’s overhere couldn’t get anywhere near that amount gross/month for 20tonne payload and we can get our diesel for 61ppl in the South and we have no VOSA or TC’s so the tacho can be a bit “flexible” :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

Our Hanson quarry has 2 hinos ready and waiting plus 1 waiting for a body and where have the ruthless ■■■■■■■■ got there drivers? You guessed it they have got 2 off franchised hauliers and another off a full time outsider.Apparently Hanson central area are going to own 70 mixers and tippers of their own.I think they should try to run a quarry before they dip their toes back into haulage.still with interest rates going up it could be a good time to sell 1 eh because after working for BQC, ARC, and now Hanson for over 40 years they have really racked me off now :frowning: :frowning:

hammer:

Big Truck:

BigTruck, I’m intrigued by these Hino’s. A few people (quarry operators) round here have had them on demo but no-one has taken the plunge yet. There seems to be some worries over residual values.

I’ve read some positive things about them in the trade press, particularly their off-road ability and the figures sure look tempting. :sunglasses:

Will residuals be that bad when compared with Scania / Volvo?

If I was in the market for a new 8 wheeler the Hino would be at the top of the list,it does exactly what it says on the tin :exclamation: :exclamation:
1.EGR engine,none of that god awful adblue crap. :sunglasses:
2.410 hp standard. :sunglasses:
3.Jakebrake standard. :sunglasses:
4. Tough as old boots, (they are Japanese at the end of the day) will go into “boggy” places (and get out of) on sites that Volvo/Scania/Daf wouldn’t even look at :exclamation: :wink:
5. 16sp ZF “slap-over” gearbox standard. :confused:
6.Spacious cab with “rest bunk” good enough for a wee kip standard. :sunglasses:
7.Air con standard. :smiley:
8.Want a new Volvo/Daf/Scania from the dealers complete with tipping body wait 10 months,want a new Hino wait 10 DAYS :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

As for residuals,a new Hino with insulated alloy body should be able to get a deal around 62 grand and for the 3 “top makes” around 10 grand more.
After 5 years maybe get 25 grand for the usual suspects and I’d like to think the Hino would be worth more than 15 Grand :question:
There are quite a few 700 series about overhere,especially mixer trucks/blockwagons and I’ve yet to hear of anyone who has regretted buying one. :wink:

I thought the idea was to work the ■■■■■■ into the ground so that residuals were not an issue.

5 million k…we’ll double shift it from now then!

A local civil engineering company have got a Hino tipper and it’s just about the smartest looking truck in Norfolk too I reckon.

100k outlay to earn £600 a week if all goes well! :open_mouth:
sorry but you’d be better off spending the bus fare to get to the nearest asylum!
thats not a business plan, thats complete madness!
i’d want to lay out less than half that to earn double that before i’d even start to think it was a good idea.

Maybe, maybe not but im taking on a new wagon instead of going down the second hand road. once finance has been finished ill have the extra £1500 per month extra plus the 2 grand a month ill be currently earning as wages.

Its not madness at all, as i have said my brother has done the exact same thing and with the amount he earns i dont hear him complaining about it.

Everyone has there own views, im just trying to better myself and take a risk.
im 26 years old and have nothing to loose.
this kind of discusion could go on for ages.

like i said before only time will tell, lol
Im due to take delivery of the truck in 6 weeks time.

But in 5 years when your finance ends your truck could be developing reliability problems and expense too which could eat into your money too, i won’t knock you for trying though, £98k seems a lot, i read a Daf v Volvo tipper comparison about April time and i’m sure they were top spec trucks at approx £78k - good luck with it though.

Tipper-driver01:
Maybe, maybe not but im taking on a new wagon instead of going down the second hand road. once finance has been finished ill have the extra £1500 per month extra plus the 2 grand a month ill be currently earning as wages.

Its not madness at all, as i have said my brother has done the exact same thing and with the amount he earns i dont hear him complaining about it.

Everyone has there own views, im just trying to better myself and take a risk.
im 26 years old and have nothing to loose.
this kind of discusion could go on for ages.

like i said before only time will tell, lol
Im due to take delivery of the truck in 6 weeks time.

You are making the ultimate mistake in running a new 8 wheeler tipper and I quote “once finance has finished” :exclamation: :exclamation:
It won’t be “finished” for 5 years and in that time YOU will have made very little true profit,your truck will have had a hard 5 years worth of quarry work meaning BIG repair bills and HANSON will be “pushing” you to take out another brand new one :exclamation: :imp:
Why are you being offered a “contract haulier” position at this Hanson quarry,are they increasing the number of 8 wheelers based there, or is it the more likely senario of someone “pulling the plug” or downsizing :question:

What is the average per month that you are looking at grossing :question: