Aggregate Industries / Bardon / Ect

Hanson are trying to push out indepentantly run tipper firms and these mixer hire firms and want there own hauliers.

at the place i am going to be working out of they currently have two contracted artic tippers, I spoke to both the owner drivers and asked what they thought, so i have made as many enquiries as possible.

if i didnt think it was any good I wouldnt do it,
I feel confident and im sure my family will help out.

The Bint Meister:
This lot have been advertising in our local paper for “franchise Hauliers”, what are good + bad bits, my brother-in-law wants to go the owner-driver route, and, has been talking up the prospect of becoming a franchisee.

I have seen plenty of their 8 wheelers on the A38 southbound at night last week, doing the resurfacing work outside the nick @ swinfen, all pretty impressive kit…

Give me a clue, I don`t want him ■■■■■■■ with schysters…

I think you should look into it,
as you can see some people will recommend it and some wont.
do what ever you feel is for the best

You think I should look into it :question:
Not a snowball in hells chance will I put 70/80 grand into a new 8 wheeler to cart around a 19/20 payload :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush:

There is a 2004 Daf CF 340 8x4 tipper parked up at the quarry I work out of with my artic,it was bought brand new by a “contract haulier” back then,this truck has had 7 Guy’s signed up to it over the last 3 years.
The seventh guy is now dead and buried (God rest his soul :cry: ) after taking a massive heart attack trying to make it work with big payments and small payload.

Thanks, but I’ll stick with my 03 artic/04 trailer and a 30t plus payload and monthly payment of £465 over 3 years.

I wish you all the best but in my opinion you’d be better starting out with a tipper around the 20 grand mark and take it from there.
Do you have any idea what you hope to gross a month or is it “on a wing and a prayer” :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

Big Truck:
You think I should look into it :confused:

No not you!!!

The bloke that originally posted this topic, he was asking for opinions,
It was aimed at him.

Im looking at £2,500 per month profit one everything has been taken out. Thats the figures ive been given.

Big Truck:
HANSON will be “pushing” you to take out another brand new one :exclamation: :evil

Thats not usually the case, as a couple of mixers my brother owns are Lreg and he is only just talking about replacing them
and as far as i know Hanson have not told him to buy a new one either.

Big Truck:
I wish you all the best

Cheers

:slight_smile:

Big Truck:
If I was in the market for a new 8 wheeler the Hino would be at the top of the list,it does exactly what it says on the tin :exclamation: :exclamation:
1.EGR engine,none of that god awful adblue crap. :sunglasses:
2.410 hp standard. :sunglasses:
3.Jakebrake standard. :sunglasses:
4. Tough as old boots, (they are Japanese at the end of the day) will go into “boggy” places (and get out of) on sites that Volvo/Scania/Daf wouldn’t even look at :exclamation: :wink:
5. 16sp ZF “slap-over” gearbox standard. :confused:
6.Spacious cab with “rest bunk” good enough for a wee kip standard. :sunglasses:
7.Air con standard. :smiley:
8.Want a new Volvo/Daf/Scania from the dealers complete with tipping body wait 10 months,want a new Hino wait 10 DAYS :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

As for residuals,a new Hino with insulated alloy body should be able to get a deal around 62 grand and for the 3 “top makes” around 10 grand more.
After 5 years maybe get 25 grand for the usual suspects and I’d like to think the Hino would be worth more than 15 Grand :question:
There are quite a few 700 series about overhere,especially mixer trucks/blockwagons and I’ve yet to hear of anyone who has regretted buying one. :wink:

Thanks for the honest assessment BigTruck. It seems that they are a good bet. I am a long way off being able to go for a new vehicle :frowning: but it seems madness the price of some of these ‘premium brands’. :unamused:

I was talking to a franchise haulier the other day. He has FOUR :open_mouth: of them. He has just ordered a new Volvo FM (78k) and a Daf (80k), insulated bodies & ready to roll. (He reckons a Scania is about 90k! :unamused:) It seems to me that if you can pick up a Hino that cheap you’d be nuts to go for anything else?

As someone who will be buying 2nd hand in a few years, I look at the new trucks as my ‘wagon of tomorrow’ if you like. It scares the hell out of me how complicated they are and how many are grounded by simple electrical faults or sensor malfunctions. It’s ok when you have a shiny R&M deal but what happens in a few years? Pay through the nose most probably. :confused: Simple of definately best, it seems. :wink:

tipper,
i don’t want to be the bringer of doom but in this area you can walk into one of these franchise setups any day of the week and i know a hell of a lot of lads who’ve had their fingers seriously burnt by believing all the you’ll earn, this you’ll earn that crap and the recent weather in these parts will see even more go the same way!
i started with a tipper and one winter was enough to convince me it was non started, the only thing i found was paying anything like enough was muck away jobs, will hanson let you take your own work on during the quiet times?

Tipper-driver01:
Hanson are trying to push out indepentantly run tipper firms and these mixer hire firms and want there own hauliers.

They tried that round here in one of their quarries. Of the 20 or so lads, three took them up on it :unamused: No quarry will EVER be all contract, the work is too variable to support the level of finance needed to run a contract truck.

I wish you all the best. Plenty of people around here make a good living out of it and if the work is there then you should be fine. Being as Mr Brown is gonna put houses everywhere you should be ok! :smiley:

To add my thoughts on your wagon, I think you’ve made the right choice. The price of Scania’s 2nd hand is ridiculous, unless your selling… :wink: You should have a tidy deposit to put on your next one. :sunglasses:

If I was driving it and not running it, personally, I’d rather the Daf. However, I am a bit biased :unamused:

If I was in the market for a new 8 wheeler the Hino would be at the top of the list,it does exactly what it says on the tin :exclamation: :exclamation:
1.EGR engine,none of that god awful adblue crap. :sunglasses:
2.410 hp standard. :sunglasses:
3.Jakebrake standard. :sunglasses:
4. Tough as old boots, (they are Japanese at the end of the day) will go into “boggy” places (and get out of) on sites that Volvo/Scania/Daf wouldn’t even look at :exclamation: :wink:
5. 16sp ZF “slap-over” gearbox standard. :confused:

I cant fault your thinking about HINO, Since Harris set up in Catterick years ago I have been a big fan.

It took the likes of Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha to build motorcycles after copying and improving the British standards.

Hino have done exactly the same with FODEN and ERF who were the original 8 wheeler builders.

paul b:
tipper,
i don’t want to be the bringer of doom but in this area you can walk into one of these franchise setups any day of the week and i know a hell of a lot of lads who’ve had their fingers seriously burnt by believing all the you’ll earn, this you’ll earn that crap?

I know about these contracts due to my family (parents and brother) owning frenchises with hanson, bardon and ready mix.

why is it that people seem to want to put down someone when all they are trying to do is better them selves in life??
I know all about it or i wouldnt be doing it.
these past few days on this site it seems all i have been doing is trying to prove to some people what im going to be earning…

I only originally posted on this topic to tell the bloke that i was doing it and that maybe he should look into it and alot of people have jumped onto the band wagon to put me down, as long as im happy and content doing what im doing then that should be the main thing!!!

Thanks to the people that have wished me luck though :slight_smile:

hammer:
I wish you all the best. Plenty of people around here make a good living out of it and if the work is there then you should be fine. Being as Mr Brown is gonna put houses everywhere you should be ok! :smiley:

To add my thoughts on your wagon, I think you’ve made the right choice. The price of Scania’s 2nd hand is ridiculous, unless your selling… :wink: You should have a tidy deposit to put on your next one. :sunglasses:

If I was driving it and not running it, personally, I’d rather the Daf. However, I am a bit biased :unamused:

lol

Cheers :slight_smile:

Tipper-driver01:
I know about these contracts due to my family (parents and brother) owning frenchises with hanson, bardon and ready mix.

why is it that people seem to want to put down someone when all they are trying to do is better them selves in life??

sorry mate, not trying to put you down in anyway at all, you’ve took a gamble and i wish you good luck with it i really do.

paul b:

Tipper-driver01:

sorry mate, not trying to put you down in anyway at all, you’ve took a gamble and i wish you good luck with it i really do.

Thanks mate,
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Have this to cheer you up till yours is ready :sunglasses:

lol

Nice

I work running nights out of a quarry in West-Country.

From what I can see, the guys on these contracts certainly make a living, but a pretty average one.

It’ll keep the wolf from the door, but you won’t get rich. They’ll give you enough work to pay the mortgage and keep you coming back for more, but they share the work out so that everyone earns the same (admirable I guess?).

It also appears to be a rather cliquey thing. Unless your father’s boyfriend’s dog used to run a truck with them, you ain’t goinna get in.

Actaully, that might just be me being cynical!

Personally, I’d go and get a full-time job for someone else for 25+K a year and not have to work silly hours!

Who wants to run tarmac out at 3am on a Saturday morning for less-than-average money?

I run a six wheel DAF 75 out of the local quarry and, while I’m not about to make a million it pays much better than working for a local haulage firm and I don’t have to put up with the boss mithering away all the time.
A few of the boys have had a Hino demonstrator and the only criticisms seem to be the size of the cab and the slap over gear box - both things it takes more than a few days to get used to I suppose. At the price I think once one takes the plunge and buys one others will soon follow.
In a year or two if sales do take off just watch the list price rise, dragging residuals up with it.

hanson must treat hauliers in other areas different to us,they just forgot to pay us double rate for a sunday plus i do a lot of daywork(the barrow jobs) and they seem to forget about that as well,we do get it but they gain another month if they can.If they can owe a few hundred hauliers a hundred quid a piece its nice in their account eh.Friend of mine has a new 380 EGR scania 8x4 and he aint happy with the fuel or the power,nice truck though if you can put up with that.

are there any other O/D on this site that drive for Hanson?

Loggo:
I run a six wheel DAF 75 out of the local quarry and, while I’m not about to make a million it pays much better than working for a local haulage firm and I don’t have to put up with the boss mithering away all the time.
A few of the boys have had a Hino demonstrator and the only criticisms seem to be the size of the cab and the slap over gear box - both things it takes more than a few days to get used to I suppose. At the price I think once one takes the plunge and buys one others will soon follow.
In a year or two if sales do take off just watch the list price rise, dragging residuals up with it.

Do you think it would “pay much better” than a local haulage firm if you had to run a new 6 wheeler costing approx £65 grand inc body instead :question: :exclamation: :confused:

Tipper-driver01:
are there any other O/D on this site that drive for Hanson?

There was a guy who posted under “lard” and he ran a Daf CF 8 wheeler for Tarmac up in the N.East somewhere.
I’m interested to know, your 20t payload 8 wheeler will cost you approx £81 grand, did you consider the possibility of going for an artic :question:
Considering you should be able to deal for a new 6x2 Renault Premium DXi450 with PTO for approx £54000 and a new tri-axle ally insulated Montracon tipping trailer ( I know where there’s 4 of them :exclamation: :exclamation: ) on drums inc Dawbarn cover for £22000.
A brand new outfit to haul a 30t payload for £76000,saving you 5 grand :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: