Agency's taken over HGV Driving

Can anyone out there tell me how the hell you are supposed to get a job as a HGV without it being through an agency?.
I have been a HGV driver for 12 years now and this year found myself having to work for an agency,i am in Huddersfield and every single job i see no matter where i look is an agency and it is just impossible to get off the agency as they seem to have completley taken over everything.
I had my ADR before and let it lapse as i was not using it and was happy where i was, i am now taking it again and i am going to look for work but again every job you see is agency.
Any ideas guys??

Door knocking smiler,the only way for me or, who you know. Good luck.

Youngs of Huddersfield are advertising for a driver.
Plenty of jobs in that area if that’s what you want.

i agree with you,where i live in swindon it is all agencies i look on the jobcentre website and all i see is agency adverts,you go on gumtree and any other site and again its agencies,i am sick and bxxxxy tired of agencies,tried phoning on the offchance and getting nowhere,so i know where you are coming from, they seem to have taken over,i think its because companies do not want the hassle of recruiting or wages and tax because its all put on the agencies when a contract is agreed,either way you cannot win

Small firms that only employ a handful of drivers are most likely not to use agencies. They’ll advertise locally for a driver. You’ll need to be local, because you’ll spend most of your meagre wages commuting if you’re not.

Large firms are attempting to shed as many full time jobs by “natural wastage” as they can, because truth be told, they don’t like the Euro-style rights that many large firms’ workforces still have, like sick pay, overtime at higher than “single time”, and paid holidays.

By 2018 I reckon, they’ll be no employer left paying full time staff more than what the agency bod gets… Those firms that DO pay full timers more than agency right now of course are not recruiting…
It seems that “higher wages” is what you forfeit if you want “regular hours” in most places.

Sod that. I’ll just take the insecure agecy work and the higher money thanks very much.
If that “higher money” changes (eg. we get to the end of this year without a pay rise, so others overtake me for pay) then I might change my mind of course. The longest I’m prepared to get paid less than the folks working around me is 3 months. After 3 months, I’ll need the higher pay to compensate for the expenses being invalid once I’ve spent more than 40% of my working year’s hours at one place.

Companies offering good jobs with decent terms and conditions don’t advertise for staff, they never have, they don’t need to so why should they.

The opposite often applies, those who do advertise, just like the agencies who need to regularly advertise for fresh victims, are often users and abusers.

Knock on doors, sell yourself…employees already secure in good jobs are fiercely protective of them, and the companies they work for…if they have any sense, so you won’t hear about them here or from other drivers.

Which agency you on for?

I have been on the agency now for 8 years, and actually enjoy it. Yes there are bad weeks, but there are also good weeks, so it kind of balances itself out.

Ken.

Got to agree with the knocking on doors thing when trying for a job rather than phone calls, as first impressions go a long way when you meet somebody in any situation.
I’ve made no secret in the past on here of my feelings for ■■■■■■ agencies :smiling_imp: , the only time I have ever used them was for my OWN benefit, when I wanted to get used to right hand drives again after a long time on left hookers, so it was only ever going to be short term and was in fact about a month. Incidentally during this time they were amazed when I had the balls to stand up to them and picked and chose what I wanted to do, so they obviously were not used to this from other drivers which says a lot about the way things are and the power that they have:roll:
I have always found it easier to get a job when you actually already have one, so be prepared to take one that would not necessarily be your first choice as a means to an end.

If you waited for a decent job to come up on the Job centre website you’ll be waiting for ever!

Problem iv had to date with knocking on doors is not being able to speak to the right person or being given application forms which you never hear back from. Best way maybe but requires the crucial right time right place scenario.

Good companies don’t need to advertise - they just get drivers by word of mouth. The only full time jobs I’ve seen locally which weren’t agency are companies which seem to have a high turnover of drivers.

alliance:
Door knocking smiler,the only way for me or, who you know. Good luck.

Totally agree.
The good jobs are there. But you have to do the leg work and show a bit of nouse.

Been told by someone who has just signed on that the jobcentre says that to get your dole you have to apply for 3 jobs per week even if you cannot do them, maybe that’s why only agencies put jobs on there because companies could get 10000 people apply.

truckster5:
If you waited for a decent job to come up on the Job centre website you’ll be waiting for ever!

Problem iv had to date with knocking on doors is not being able to speak to the right person or being given application forms which you never hear back from. Best way maybe but requires the crucial right time right place scenario.

Absolute TOSH. Every job I’ve had I’ve got off JCP and I’ve had a few

topmixer11:

truckster5:

Absolute TOSH. Every job I’ve had I’ve got off JCP and I’ve had a few

Truckster did say DECENT job.

I’ve never seen a good lorry (or other) job advertised there either, and thats going back a long time.

Truckster’s problem with speaking to The Man is valid, often several visits are required and for the right job a bit of quiet James Bonding and targetting the arrival of the correct person could be called for…if done well it shows nous and The Man usually values nous highly…always go armed to the teeth with CV’s and your licences and look the part.

If you’re employed and looking for a change in the near future,I heartily recommend using the Directgov Jobs site for JCP; You’ll soon see the companies who are not worth working for/approaching for work as they’re always on there.
Plus of course the parasitic agencies, with their “company confidential” and “an exciting opportunity has arisen” which means “totally crap company have hadyet another driver jack after 5 minutes” :laughing:

Have you tried Hansons? There’s a good few in Huddersfield amd also halifax. Have a google then go and see em

Top tip, if ever you go for an interview, make sure you dress smart. Forget all the nonsense (mostly) you hear on here about going casual “as truckers don’t wear suits”, first impressions go a long way. Smart pants, shirt and tie go a long way. Unless of course for example it’s a logging company in the middle of a muddy field, you’d look like a bit of a plank wading through the mud in a pair of slip ons.

Problem I had a was seeing jobs advertised by company’s not agency’s and applying and not hearing anything.i knocked on doors and they said yes we need someone fill this form in then don’t hear anything.
All this time I was employed though so it wasn’t that bad but found it frustrating when you don’t get anywhere and you have the right qualification and attitude.
Found my current job in the local paper in November last year,rang up went to see the bloke got the job :slight_smile: and so far so good

It seems to be the same Problem everywhere in Europe…In Germany is the same…Most driver jobs are offered only through agencys. We have a big problem to find a good job direct at a company.And most companies in Germany looking for driver with agencys are bad.

Tarrman:
Top tip, if ever you go for an interview, make sure you dress smart. Forget all the nonsense (mostly) you hear on here about going casual “as truckers don’t wear suits”, first impressions go a long way. Smart pants, shirt and tie go a long way. Unless of course for example it’s a logging company in the middle of a muddy field, you’d look like a bit of a plank wading through the mud in a pair of slip ons.

Are you American :smiley: