Agency's taken over HGV Driving

I’ve been on Agency for 18 months and applying and searching and asking and searching and applying all the time.

Keep searching and bite the bullet. One will come along that is suitable. I found being with an agency (maybe I was lucky and got a good one) was better than being unemployed but that just might be me.

Out of the 30 + applications and inquiries I had 2 invitations to interview, 2 drive assessments with interviews which led to me getting one job.

I was particularly fussy about who I applied too and could easily of doubled that number but set my sights on 25000 plus!!

I hope I don’t just ■■■■ it up :unamused:

As for dress code, interview suited and booted and if driving assessment then Polo shirt (could still do shirt and tie if you feel it wise) and work trousers (new and only used for these assessments) used but cleaned and polished boots. There’s no point in trying to break in a pair of new boots whilst doing your assessment.

Good luck, something will come along, but patience is a virtue :wink:

P.S. The driving assessor was pleased to see I brought my own gloves too :open_mouth:

…and another thing, the job i eventually got was direct from their website, it was not advertised else where!

You could ask for work on here. Steve66 did this last week and he’s got a job working where I am, starting next week. Anyone in the Oxon area who wants one pm me as my boss is expanding with a nice easy contract job.

This will £cost you nothing.

Place an ad on Universal Jobmatch (Jobcentre jobs list), describe your own job as briefly as you can. Tell the Jobcentre grunts that you’re an owner driver, sole trader, & looking to staff your 2nd truck.

Be careful that you ONLY allow applications by e.mail with a current C.V.

Use a throwaway e.mail account, if you are absolutely & utterly stupid then at least use a throwaway PAYG sim card if you want telephone contact.

Do the same for an ad on your local Admag & Gumtree websites.

Contact your local evening newspaper for a £price on the same ad in their weekly jobs night special edition.

Sit back & be astonished at the results !!!

Chas:
This will £cost you nothing.

Place an ad on Universal Jobmatch (Jobcentre jobs list), describe your own job as briefly as you can. Tell the Jobcentre grunts that you’re an owner driver, sole trader, & looking to staff your 2nd truck.

Be careful that you ONLY allow applications by e.mail with a current C.V.

Use a throwaway e.mail account, if you are absolutely & utterly stupid then at least use a throwaway PAYG sim card if you want telephone contact.

Do the same for an ad on your local Admag & Gumtree websites.

Contact your local evening newspaper for a £price on the same ad in their weekly jobs night special edition.

Sit back & be astonished at the results !!!

Took a minute for me to realise what the endgame is… presumably you invite applications from drivers disgruntled with their own jobs, then target their current employers to find a vacancy.

Cute, I like it. Ever thought of setting yourself up in business as an agency? :wink: :grimacing:

To the OP; one of the main reasons is that agency gives an employer a chance to “try before you buy” which for a busy TM is a valuable asset. Much has been written on here about jobhunting and how to do it; basically your CV has to catch a prospective employer’s attention within 30 seconds of him opening the envelope or e-mail, and I totally agree with Juddian’s comments about first impressions counting. It’s always worked for me.

In a previous subject i stated that Agencys were taking over the HGV market. Super Agencies rather like Supermarkets will start to form and grow taking out the little agency in your town. They will gather national contracts from national employers and drive the rates of pay down to squeeze the last drops out of us drivers. In a couple of years time like the Supermarkets there will only be four or five national agencies who control 90 % of the market , dont say you have not been warned . :imp: :imp:

That’ll be TRG, & ADN then. :laughing:

“You must pay us for each block of work we give you.” - Umbrella fees £27-£45per pay slip, even if you only get a single 8 hour shift @ £8.50ph…
“We’ll palm you off with PAYE rates despite you being effectively self-employed in all but name.” self-employed people in the know wouldn’t dream of invoicing for less than £12ph - let alone £8.50!
“NO sick pay. NO holiday pay NO rights.” If they tell you “there’s holiday pay”, it’ll be a pot you’ve paid into. Perhaps the legendary “pound an hour” extra, which of course won’t cover the full rights as PAYE you’ve given up on…
“Introduce another driver to us, and we’ll credit your next pay packete with £50”. If that don’t set alarm bells ringing, - nothing will.

Several agencies round here are trying to get applicants to become self employed,telling you of all the benefits of being your own boss,all the things you can claim for etc.
They tempt you with offers of work for all class of vehicle to get you in the door,but then they can’t guarantee you any work,and if there is any work,they expect you to work as self employed for basic rate!
This is a way of getting out of paying holiday pay,sickness or pension,I don’t suppose it’s illegal,just very immoral!

If self employed you should be setting the pay rates not them with there £1 per hour extra.

It is difficult when youre between jobs . Agencies can be a quick fix when you have commitments and are prepared for the unexpected . Best to send out some letters with your CV if you have a good work record thats a plus with employers as they would regard you as very employable . Also half of vacancies are not advertised so, you have to put in a shift to get something . Good luck