Agency not paying me! need your help

Hi

Last week on Thursday i went to do a shift for Walkers Transport in Leeds through Green Light Recruitment. I did 3.5 hours and then went home as i wasn’t feeling good. Didn’t do any work that week as i was feeling weak and dizzy.

I didn’t do actual work in those 3.5 hours because when i arrived, i had to go to Volvo to pick up the truck. Came back to get the fuel card and then out again to fill it up and couldn’t get the trailer because it was getting washed. Arrived and no single trailers left. Only double deckers and i had to take a single. Told office i’m going home. It seemed like a ■■■■ day and i didn’t want to risk it.

Now Green Light are saying that Walkers aren’t paying for those hours because i didn’t get anywhere during my shift and that they had to call a sub contractor and they cant pay for both.

Have they got the right to not pay me?

Ignore anything about Walkers. The agency has a contract with them, you don’t.
Your contract is with the agency.
So, what does your contract say?

ibby730d:
Have they got the right to not pay me?

Yes…

If it stipulates that in your contract.

Your agency is lying to you because it has nothing whatsoever to do with Walkers paying or not paying. The agency owe you the money.

It’s no different to me putting £50 of petrol in my car and then telling the cashier I can’t pay for it because I haven’t been paid.

Time to check what you’ve signed with Green Light.

If you have been shafted…

moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

There’s no contract. Just the registration form which has the T&Cs mentioned. Nothing about about being paid. The only thing that was mentioned about money was that i have to pay £250 if i cause any minor damages to the truck or trailer.

^^^ sounds like a cracking deal. Where do I sign?

This is the agencys reply,

"They were paying you to do deliveries for them and you had to pick a truck up and then went home. No deliveries. This is what they’ve had to pay additional out to cover the deliveries you didn’t do, so they won’t pay you and the driver who did the deliveries.
Please feel free to call our office to discuss with myself or my colleagues, but our hands are tied."

ibby730d:
There’s no contract. Just the registration form which has the T&Cs mentioned. Nothing about about being paid. The only thing that was mentioned about money was that i have to pay £250 if i cause any minor damages to the truck or trailer.

How long does your walk around take?
I’d be taking an hour, and note every little scratch.

Franglais:

ibby730d:

How long does your walk around take?
I’d be taking an hour, and note every little scratch.

I do look around thoroughly and note every little thing down.

I’ve told the agency to take me off the system.

ibby730d:
The only thing that was mentioned about money was that i have to pay £250 if i cause any minor damages to the truck or trailer.

Find yourself another agency.
About 2 years ago I took a space in a services too wide and hit the rigid to my n/s with the trailer bulkhead. Gave agency a statement, company wanted one which I gave over the phone next day and I never heard another thing about it. There was certainly never any mention of me having to cough up any readies. That’s what insurance is for

ibby730d:

Tell agency to shove that. I worked 7 years for a company that billed drivers for damages and tell you what, it’s not worth the stress. Half the time agency night shift would just leave the unit with damage on it for me coming onto the day shift, if you missed the damage during a walk-round company blamed me for not reporting it. Needless to say I’m no longer there.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Following your previous email/letter.

I attended the customer at x and was at work for 3.5 hours from x time to y time. I completed the work that was requested of me until the time I went home after feeling unwell.

I am entitled to be paid for the time I have been at work, if you have a dispute regarding the time I arrived and the time I left, I will discuss this with yourselves. If you have a dispute regarding your customer not paying yourself for the time I was there, please take it up with them.

I am requesting x amount of money to be paid to myself within the normal pay timescales. Failure to do so will force me to claim the money through small claims court.

I will only discuss this through either email or recorded letter from now on.

Best regards,

Bbez

Send them something like this and then take it to small claims court. It won’t cost you anything and to be fair you will win. Regardless of what you did from when you arrived to when you left. You are entitled to pay.

ibby730d:

"They were paying you to do deliveries for them and you had to pick a truck up and then went home. No deliveries. This is what they’ve had to pay additional out to cover the deliveries you didn’t do, so they won’t pay you and the driver who did the deliveries.
Please feel free to call our office to discuss with myself or my colleagues, but our hands are tied."

Cobblers. Walker’s weren’t paying you anything. They were paying the agency.

ibby730d:

Find another agency…

They’re all as bad as each other so it makes little difference who your with. Try and get into Asda Normanton for the Xmas rush, it’s as good as printing money if you know how to play them.

In the meantime, tell Green Light you’ll go to Moneyclaim if they don’t cough. Arguing with them via telephone and email will be pointless and they will be giggling every time you call the office. You need to show them you mean business.

If they don’t cough, go to Moneyclaim.

They said they’re paying me to do the deliveries and because i didn’t do any, they can’t pay me.

ibby730d:
They said they’re paying me to do the deliveries and because i didn’t do any, they can’t pay me.

Moneyclaim online…

moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

To be honest, I can see both sides of this. When I worked for Canute on the agency, a Polish driver from a different agency turned up , refused to drive the truck he was allocated because it had a manual gearbox and he only drove automatics, and went home. He expected to be paid eight hours, Canute refused and to be fair, I took their side because even though I was an agency driver myself, and even though I prefer driving an automatic to a manual myself, it is not an unreasonable request to expect a driver to drive a truck with a manual gearbox.

So for me a lot would depend on having more information about why you went home, and I’m not entirely sure I understand the issue about the trailers?

Harry Monk:
To be honest, I can see both sides of this. When I worked for Canute on the agency, a Polish driver from a different agency turned up , refused to drive the truck he was allocated because it had a manual gearbox and he only drove automatics, and went home. He expected to be paid eight hours, Canute refused and to be fair, I took their side because even though I was an agency driver myself, and even though I prefer driving an automatic to a manual myself, it is not an unreasonable request to expect a driver to drive a truck with a manual gearbox.

So for me a lot would depend on having more information about why you went home, and I’m not entirely sure I understand the issue about the trailers?

Trailers weren’t that much of an issue. When i arrived at the depot from Volvo with the truck, the trailer (empty for collections) i was meant to take was getting washed so i went out to get the truck fueled up as it was running on empty and by the time i get back, trailer would be ready but it was taken by someone else. There weren’t any singles left so i had to wait for one to become available on the bays but i just went home as i wasn’t feeling great.

You should be paid for hours done, but you wouldn’t get a minimum shift if you feel you need to go home. Actually trying to claim this may not be worth the effort as it is only 3.5 hours. You would be better off spending the time registering with another agency as payment for damage is not really on in any case.

If there is a problem with the truck (I think one of your other threads), you need to put the ball in the client’s court and actually get them to send you home rather than volunteer, so that you do get paid for turning up.

ibby730d:

Harry Monk:

Trailers weren’t that much of an issue. When i arrived at the depot from Volvo with the truck, the trailer (empty for collections) i was meant to take was getting washed so i went out to get the truck fueled up as it was running on empty and by the time i get back, trailer would be ready but it was taken by someone else. There weren’t any singles left so i had to wait for one to become available on the bays but i just went home as i wasn’t feeling great.

Sounds like an excuse coz you bottled it and didn’t want to take a double decker out

Do you have a doctor’s note ?

If not, get one.

If you didn’t feel sick, you would’ve stayed and completed deliveries as requested.

Driving a HGV while ill/sick is dangerous.

They owe you 8hrs

Contact ACAS or Employment Agency Standards Inspectorate and report.

(Their only leg to stand on is you refusing to work for no reason, imo )

Ps. How long had you been working at thus agency? Is it just one random day??