Agency Driver - Damaged Truck? Does the Agency Pay?

I’ve been working the agencies for a while now and stumbled on a good one, set me up on a regular contract. Now I was moving around a small dark yard and accidentally (really slow time) reversed into a little pillar and damaged a light cluster and the arch. Had to get the van out who got the truck roadworthy again, fairly rapid. I sent the company a message regarding what has happened (they’ve got no night office).

This morning I get a call from my agency asking if I was ok? Nothing more, I explained and they said, “Alright cool” and that was it. The company didn’t call, although they know me well, and ask for me.

Now I am curious to why it was the agency calling? Is the company charging the agency? (This is a BIG UK haulage company, self insured), is the agency going to charge me?
I had an RTA not long back (wasn’t my fault), same company and agency, the agency never contacted me at all regarding it. I’m not working again for a week, and slightly concerned this accident is gonna ruin my comfortably little gig I’ve had going on.

Read the small print of the contract you signed with the agency**
you did read it didn’t you??

**Ok so I know at this point:

1. No one ever reads what they sign
  2. The masses will be sniggering at the back because of 1.

The agency rang you because the contract is between the two of them you are just the meat in the middle
There is no agency that has insurance for anyone’s trucks or fleet it might say in contact that they would have to pay something if it’s your fault

In theory :bulb: the agency my lot uses pays for any damage done by their drivers.

The Agency will get the bill and either pay for it, or claim on their ‘Driver Negligence’ Insurance.
A small claim amount they will take on the chin, as their Driver Neg policy will usually have a £750 excess

What Peirre said…

It may well be in the small print that you’re liable.

never trust an agency or it’s contract

The agency used at the place where I work pay for any and all damage caused by their drivers. However I’ve never heard of them passing that cost on to the drivers. Just as well really as last week alone the bill to replace the backs of two cabs damaged by missing the pin was £14 grand.

Where I work, supermarket pay’s first £100, haulage co. pays next £500, agency pay’s the rest so must be insured for it. Driver had a smash in Tunbridge Wells couple of years ago damaging truck, load, 13 cars & 2 people must have cost agency close on half a million. Costs never get passed on to driver.

wing-nut:
Costs never get passed on to driver.

Are you sure?
I’m aware from past experiences some of the many agency contracts I’ve signed over the years, state somewhere that the driver is liable for the first £50,000 of losses by the agency. However I’m not aware of it ever being implemented. In recent years this clause is becoming more commonplace, the agencies know that the drivers never read the contract shoved in front of em.

peirre:

wing-nut:

Are you sure?
I’m aware from past experiences some of the many agency contracts I’ve signed over the years, state somewhere that the driver is liable for the first £50,000 of losses by the agency. However I’m not aware of it ever being implemented. In recent years this clause is becoming more commonplace, the agencies know that the drivers never read the contract shoved in front of em.

What has the job got to the next step is you will need your own personal truck insurance to drive a truck

peirre:

wing-nut:

Are you sure?

If I owe someone £10,000, I’ve got a problem. If I owe someone £50,000, they’ve got a problem!

the maoster:
The agency used at the place where I work pay for any and all damage caused by their drivers. However I’ve never heard of them passing that cost on to the drivers. Just as well really as last week alone the bill to replace the backs of two cabs damaged by missing the pin was £14 grand.

Wow that’s incredible. What trailers are you connecting too? I’ve missed the odd 5th Wheel, but never to the point I hit the cab luckily

Shellshocker:

the maoster:

Wow that’s incredible. What trailers are you connecting too? I’ve missed the odd 5th Wheel, but never to the point I hit the cab luckily

Deep pin fridge trailers mate. Never done it myself as I actually pay attention to what I’m doing, but there aren’t many units at our place without buckled back panels so it must happen a lot.

the maoster:

Shellshocker:

the maoster:

Deep pin fridge trailers mate. Never done it myself as I actually pay attention to what I’m doing, but there aren’t many units at our place without buckled back panels so it must happen a lot.

Thought it might be. I’ve connected to a few, and ■■■■, I must of jumped out 5 times to check where the pin was haha.
I’m mainly on Containers these days, the Skelly trailers are probably the most forgiving.

What??, a driver gets out and looks to see how the trailer pick up is going instead of ramming it back, on the mirrors alone, till it stops whether that be a crunch tinkle combination of both or the back of the cab caving in…

Hang on…NURSE more medication please, the :open_mouth: is too much

Juddian:
What??, a driver gets out and looks to see how the trailer pick up is going instead of ramming it back, on the mirrors alone, till it stops whether that be a crunch tinkle combination of both or the back of the cab caving in…

Yeah, mad I know. But I’m still young and fit, it’s not so much of a deal for me. I also replace my own bulbs. But I can see how for some weighing out the decision between the long climb out of a High Cab vs. damaging someone else’s equipment may be an obvious choice of, “■■■■ it”.

Shellshocker:

Juddian:

Yeah, mad I know. But I’m still young and fit, it’s not so much of a deal for me. I also replace my own bulbs. But I can see how for some weighing out the decision between the long climb out of a High Cab vs. damaging someone else’s equipment may be an obvious choice of, “[zb] it”.

But of course if you used the proper procedure for hooking up (where you lower the cab, back under, then raise the cab up) it wouldn’t happen at all.

(Yeah, I did that on purpose. Just gonna sit back with me popcorn now. :smiley: )

Shellshocker:

Juddian:

Yeah, mad I know. But I’m still young and fit, it’s not so much of a deal for me. I also replace my own bulbs. But I can see how for some weighing out the decision between the long climb out of a High Cab vs. damaging someone else’s equipment may be an obvious choice of, “[zb] it”.

Fits bulbs, get out to check hook up ok??

NNUUUURRRRRSSSSSEEE, for pities sake get me more medication.

:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

don’t tell me you check the fluid levels, even nurse’s best medication can’t cope with that :open_mouth:

I hook up to long pin tilts all the while, if you line up unit with trailer even just using the mirrors, youred need to be out by a foot to miss the pin! Unless its done with the trailer too high/ tractor too low and the pin riding over the fifth wheel. Suppose if its not theirs they dont care :confused:

Juddian:

Shellshocker:

Juddian:

Fits bulbs, get out to check hook up ok??

NNUUUURRRRRSSSSSEEE, for pities sake get me more medication.

:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

don’t tell me you check the fluid levels, even nurse’s best medication can’t cope with that :open_mouth:

I’m a driver, not a mechanic.