Agencies - How much are you getting per hour?

I’ve been quite lucky recently that I can pick and choose my work and I’m getting a good wage from one customer with most paying above the odds.

You don’t have to disclose who you work for, but I’m curious to know what rates others are on in this climate.

This is mainly aimed at C+E and is your standard rate.

Sorry but the poll is pointless without knowing whether the rates are being paid for days or nights, employed or self employed, location.

There are quite a few variables that will determine what a decent rate is :confused:

Well,the one Company puts you on long Shifts if you go out ignoring Weighbridge and small Faults or short shifts if you go not out with overweight axle or blown bulp
Manpower paid good for UPS-Olympia
Fri,Sat,and Sun Nite Shunting £370.- paid out
Didn’t try to ask if they got it wrong :smiley:

all my rates were different,but i was averaging £10

[quote=“tachograph”

There are quite a few variables that will determine what a decent rate is :confused:[/quote]
I’m talking about your standard rate, days. Just a rough average.

With my agency the rates vary depending on which company I’m doing the job for, but its been no less than £10 an hour and as a new driver with not much experience under my belt I’m happy with that, after all you can’t buy experience…

£9 an hour. Time & half after 8 hours and £17 an hour Sunday. There is also an extra £1 an hour before and after 6am and 6pm respectively. (North West England)

£8 an hour flat rate

ADR Load is an extra quid !

8.75 an hour daytime multi drop (same for rigids and artics). Now on £10 days rigid with ADR (in Wiltshire).

A better question would be “how many hours are you away from home per week divided into how much you take home each week”

Ie. your NET hourly rate! :grimacing:

Eg. an 8 hour shift monday-friday 30 mins each way commute (45 hour gross week) with a takehome of £450pw=houly rate of £10.00ph exactly.
Breaks, tipping, paperwork, POA, and being stuck in traffic in your own car all counts as “not being at home” for this calculation.

Winseer:
A better question would be “how many hours are you away from home per week divided into how much you take home each week”

Ie. your NET hourly rate! :grimacing:

thats where i get my average from...although i didnt count commuting time,coz it was negligable

I’ve gotta count commute time, because in Chatham there are precious few employers. That Medway Mail centre has turned out to be quite handy, opening recently as it has. Nothing but flat 8’s there so far though.

With all breaks (45 mins a day) taken out I topline between £630 and £820 a week take home but I do the hours for that. 60 hours acorss 5 days with no nights out gets you £630 and I’ve been lucky enough to be in the same company for the last 4 months. Its not a great company at all but the money is very good. When I do an odd Saturday at Asda or wherever, I see other lads who say they haven’t seen me around for a while, I tell them why and where I’ve been and they usually say they done 1 day there but never again. It’s not the best job, but it’s not all as bad as that though.

Tachograph has a point, as there are too many variables.
Threads like this crop up from time to time and inevitably turn into a willy (wallet) waving contest.
However the 1 point that seems to be overlooked for agy drivers is the overall income per annum. As the bleak season had the ability to level out most agy drivers ovèrall annual income across the board

£120 per day. the job takes as long as it takes.

Further to this, what do you think is a fair hourly rate for driving on days in C+E? Assuming a central location (say, Birmingham for the sake of argument)

And what is too low - so you’d turn the work down? :question:

Well, there are several answers for this poll for me.

Class 2 is £8ph. Class 1 is £9ph. Class 2 ADR or Class 2 HIAB is £8.50ph.

Class 1 ADR is yet to be confirmed, but I suspect £9.50ph. This is with Best Connection locally.

I’ve previously been with Driver Hire (lowest rates), Encore (average rates, lower than BC though) and Manpower (slightly higher than BC).

Best of luck though. With my current licence status (newbie driver) I’m taking any work that comes along. I think BC also pay £7ph for 7.5t but it’s been a while since I’ve been on those…

If it costs you £30 worth of your time commuting and about £20 worth of your fuel as well, then the first £50 takehome is gone before you start.

Therefore a shift paying NET £100 would actually see you make a profit of £50, once the overheads are paid for. If you spent an hour each way travelling, and a 8 hour shift, that works out at £5ph NET which is not worth bothering with, because it’s below the minimum wage.

A faraway shift is going to need to be a massive hourly rate, OR a medium hourly rate with a good length of actual paid hours per shift, OR on your doorstep with ordinary pay. Up north this is especially important, because towns are miles apart, which means a higher cost overhead for commuting for the average job. Chuck in crap pay as well, and you might as well not bother, and it suprises me that anyone does out of some kind of misguided “must pay pit owner to employ uz” mentality. Perhaps it’s because a similar travel overhead applies to driving oneself miles away to sign on as well?
When I look at all the private traffic on the roads, I wonder how few of those single-driver-occupant vehicles are actually going to or from work, or just donking their lives away on some unnecassary journey or other…

What are you wasting your fuel on today.....jpg
Do you want more time or more money in your life essentially… If you had to work a crap job 20 hours a day 7 days a week, it shouldn’t matter if it paid £2000 a week - you’ll never get any time to spend it! Great for paying off debts if you’ve got the jewish work ethic, but what if you actually want a life and look after kith and kin? Few people live enough years to make a life for themselves after being an indentured servant for most of it to date as it is.

Winseer:
If it costs you £30 worth of your time commuting and about £20 worth of your fuel as well, then the first £50 takehome is gone before you start.

which is why i sacked wilkos…nothing wrong with the job,or the rate…but it was costing me a tenner a day in derv and a fair % of the shifts were 8 hours(exept friday).

if my agency asked me to travel…i negotiated petrol money seperately

Got asked lots of times to go to tossco didcot,you’ll get fuel money they said, what about the 2 hours travelling there and back I said, not interested they said, not interested I said, end of!