aec

Hiya… the twinsteer tractor unit was a mammoth minor the 8 legger tipper was a mammoth major.
the six legger (505)was a Marshall but the six legger tipper with a 760 in was a marshall major.
John

I think before the ergo cab you could get a mammoth major 6 rigid…but i could be wrong i usually am,never driven 1 but would love to

ramone:
I think before the ergo cab you could get a mammoth major 6 rigid…but i could be wrong i usually am,never driven 1 but would love to

Hiya… the one in the photo is a mammoth major six ridgid its just had a turntable put on(it,ll be coming of its just not urgent at the moment)
the chap who had her before me was making a heavy haulage (60)tractor out of her.Simon Shelly has a 2 tone blue 60 tonner on the show circuit
that was a torpido carrier with the navy…you can have a drive when she,s done ramone you just need to catch me at a show.
Its not sweedish comfort belive me, its nostalgic thats all.i need some bonnet covers to quiet her down, i might make a padded dash cover.
Cheers John.

3300John:

ramone:

Hiya… the one in the photo is a mammoth major six ridgid its just had a turntable put on(it,ll be coming of its just not urgent at the moment)
the chap who had her before me was making a heavy haulage (60)tractor out of her.Simon Shelly has a 2 tone blue 60 tonner on the show circuit
that was a torpido carrier with the navy…you can have a drive when she,s done ramone you just need to catch me at a show.
Its not sweedish comfort belive me, its nostalgic thats all.i need some bonnet covers to quiet her down, i might make a padded dash cover.

Hiya …just thought if you go to the peak district site(last page) you,ll see a line up of m m 6,s of Callahans( the Hell driver,s of Buxton)
Cheers john

3300John:
HIya… Here,s one i saw her yesterday infact i put a new alternator on her.
she,s a mammoth major six but there,s a turntable instead of a tipper body.

No she isnt parked in the grass anymore i,ve moved her.
Cheer,s John

hi john if you google mamoth majors motorway lorries you ll see what i mean they worked on the m25 and were then shipped onto the a12 muck job.

sammy dog:

3300John:
HIya… Here,s one i saw her yesterday infact i put a new alternator on her.
she,s a mammoth major six but there,s a turntable instead of a tipper body.
No she isnt parked in the grass anymore i,ve moved her.
Cheer,s John

hi john if you google mamoth majors motorway lorries you ll see what i mean they worked on the m25 and were then shipped onto the a12 muck job.

Hiya…Thats what she is sammy dog a very short six wheeler ridgid she was new to a firm in cassington oxford as and is registered as a tipper.
The backend is a heavy duty double drive bogie with diff locks. The chassis is 12 inches deep.
It was the chap who had her before me who wanted an artic . From the back of the cab the chasis is only 12ft8 ins. I know the chap who had muck
shifting lorries on the motorways and have plenty of pickys. The one doing a wheelie and all of them parked up for easter and so on.
I wanted a mk5 as i have driven them at Adams butter in leek and I’am going to make her a Adams mobile workshop.
On the peak district site the Callagan lorrys was a order placed by Wimpey who never took delivery so a batch of mm6,s appeared
in the 70,s and was registered as new J,s and K,s
John

hi john just wondered there might be one left parked in a hedge somewhere looking for a good home.

Go to the AEC society site theres loads of pictures of the M25 Mammoth Majors all in a sorry state,ive seen some pictures i cant think where of a few Mammoth Major mkv 6 wheeler units in england used as loggers back in the 60`s .My dad drove an 8 wheeler and trailer for Henry Longs at Bradford for years ,theres a picture Straviger posted on the Henry Long thread on here of an identical 1.

Ha Ha id need some lessons first John the nearest thing ive driven to a crash box is the 9 and 13 speed Fullers

3300John:

3300John:

ramone:

Hiya …just thought if you go to the peak district site(last page) you,ll see a line up of m m 6,s of Callahans( the Hell driver,s of Buxton)
Cheers john

hi ramone when they put the m4 through our village quite a few aec turned up for the muckshift seemed to be the prefered truck used by the irish lads i think the job was run by a bloke who run a company by the name of powerpress and plant who came down to wales with a load of scammel routemans as the muckshift was ending everyone of the scammels was sent to the local body shop to be repainted prior to departing to they next job.

One or two here for you.(I think I may have put these on before somewhere my apoligies if so)

AEC Wimpeys.jpg

JOHN

sammy dog:
hi john just wondered there might be one left parked in a hedge somewhere looking for a good home.

Hiya…theres one on the mandator site which is rough and a half cab with it but i belive they,re not for sale.
some one has recently found about 10 AEC,s but haven,t said where they are i,ll send you a PM how to find them
if you google AEC mk5 mammoth major you,ll see plenty to wish for.
John

3300John:

sammy dog:

Hiya…theres one on the mandator site which is rough and a half cab with it but i belive they,re not for sale.
someone has recently found about 10 AEC,s but haven,t said where they are i,ll send you a PM how to find them
if you google AEC mk5 mammoth major you,ll see plenty to wish for.

Hiya… you need to press images on top of the page before you type in AEC mammoth major. if you put a 6 after major
you,ll get more photo,s. and if you put mk5 before AEC some other photo,s still.
Good luck John

As said previously - there was a MM6 which was usually a tipper - although some were tractor units.

The Motor Panels steel cab could apparently be spec’ed - I have never seen another picture of one though.

cab needs t cutting and a polish :laughing:

fryske:

FOUND THIS IN MALTA.

I wonder if AEC had have stayed independant they would still be going today,i read recently that such was the hatred of AEC by the Leyland top brass that they tried to close them as early as 1968.From what i`ve read and heard from drivers AEC were always regarded as the better of the 2

One or two more here taken from AEC Lorries the post war years (Graham Edge)
AEC Mandator Mk V.jpg
AEC Marshal.jpg
AEC Mercury 4 wheeler flatbed.jpg
AEC Mercury (single glass windscreen.jpg

JOHN

One of my fav AEC’s - this is a MK V Mammoth Major that was converted to a wrecker - I think it had an RTS cab - but not sure - either way, it had the suicide doors.

The original cab was chopped off one day after staff got cheesed off with its decay!

So they replaced it with an Ergomatic cab.

The vehicle also has a 3 speed transfer box from a Diamond T - it is fast!

AEC Mammoth Major MKV - in a Leyland disguise by fryske, on Flickr

AEC Mammoth Major Mk V controls - despite the Ergo cab! by fryske, on Flickr