aec

acd1202:

Lawrence Dunbar:

coomsey:
She stands well

WouldI be correct in thinking this was taken at Oswald Tillitsons at Burnley AEC Main dealers.

I don’t recognise that as Tillotsons Burnley site, Summit Works, there will be a photo of it there because Tillys took a photo of all new vehicles before delivery. It was supplied by Tillotsons with a Tillotson cab and body, although as with all things that Harold Cartmell bought it was different to anybody else’s. He carried a lot of paper reels in those days he had his flats double boarded with the top boards planed off towards the centre so the reels would roll straight down the middle of the flat; now you didn’t think of that did you Dennis. Incidentally that was an 11.3 rather than the more usual 9.6, 150bhp, 6 speed overdrive and 40x8 tyres in it’s day it was very quick, again normal for Harold. Back to the photo I’ll ask a man who will definitely not only know where it is, but who parked it there, unfortunately not Harold anymore he died 6 years ago at 94.

IIRC This was taken at Burnley.

Lawrence Dunbar:

acd1202:

Lawrence Dunbar:

coomsey:
She stands well

WouldI be correct in thinking this was taken at Oswald Tillitsons at Burnley AEC Main dealers.

I don’t recognise that as Tillotsons Burnley site, Summit Works, there will be a photo of it there because Tillys took a photo of all new vehicles before delivery. It was supplied by Tillotsons with a Tillotson cab and body, although as with all things that Harold Cartmell bought it was different to anybody else’s. He carried a lot of paper reels in those days he had his flats double boarded with the top boards planed off towards the centre so the reels would roll straight down the middle of the flat; now you didn’t think of that did you Dennis. Incidentally that was an 11.3 rather than the more usual 9.6, 150bhp, 6 speed overdrive and 40x8 tyres in it’s day it was very quick, again normal for Harold. Back to the photo I’ll ask a man who will definitely not only know where it is, but who parked it there, unfortunately not Harold anymore he died 6 years ago at 94.

IIRC This was taken at Burnley.0

Im with you Lawrence i think its Burnley too

Take your pick

FB_IMG_16693846739439921.jpg

coomsey:
Take your pick

Taken over by Rank Hovis Macdougall, the old mill is still used. But unfortunately, has had the dreaded planning permission for house granted

acd1202:

Lawrence Dunbar:

coomsey:
She stands well

Interesting info there “ac1202” about rigid flats which were always the subject of a myriad of designs and variations. It was always a delicate balance as unladen weight was the most important consideration. It was OK going for belt and braces regardless but it didn’t take much to stick a extra ton on ULW ! The old Bowater 8 wheeler news print carriers spring to mind as their headboards were curved inwards to accept the reel and of course reels of news print were all they hauled. Our trailer spec that we used on our paper mill contracts was “flush deck” to accommodate any overhang of the reel, and a wooden batten on the top edge of the headboard . Once semi trailers took over as the main vehicles for the transport of reels the bespoke need for rigid flats died a death as the trailer platforms were perfect load bearing whereas the weakest part of a rigid flat was the area over the rear mudguards which I can quote from experience when particular relating to Sainsbury deliveries when they started using electric pallet trucks to unload from the back end ! Another story for another time ! Cheers Dennis.

ramone:

Lawrence Dunbar:

coomsey:
She stands well

IIRC This was taken at Burnley.0
[/quote]
Im with you Lawrence i think its Burnley too
[/quote]
I stand corrected Lawrence, it is Burnley.

Dennis your point about the balance with ulw is of course absolutely the case, for normal people. Harold however wasn’t normal any thoughts of ulw were for people of simpler ideas. He was in business from 1946 to 1992 and in all that time I doubt he ever ran anything “standard” rigid, unit or trailer. Angle iron chockrails, channel iron front bumpers, very bespoke flats, gearboxes and diffs changed always to make it faster including a 141 with a geared top speed of 94mph (that’s currently being restored I believe), a 1924 Merc capable of close to 80, a 143 with extra chassis cross-members, an AEC Monarch to East Africa spec, that was so heavy it couldn’t carry it’s own weight legally, he chopped that down to a tractor, the list goes on, he should have written a book vehicle specification according to Harold, give him his due though they always looked well.

This a shot of one of our Task tri axles we used for hauling reels of paper.

Picture tells a story! What I’m thinking is where’s the Hiab or better still the tipper body?

At least do they not have to hoist the sacs up on their shoulder!

Spanish AEC I believe that company is still operating in this sector as well

Smart

ERF-NGC-European:

Is that Malta?

essexpete:

ERF-NGC-European:

Is that Malta?

Yes. :smiley:

coomsey:
Smart

The Marshall was a good motor, I had one from new in the 60’s, double drive with Hendrickson rear suspension. I had a lot of happy hours with it. 5177WY.

youtu.be/1_24Ex2Gifw
Sydney/Newcastle would have been hard yakka in this old jigger. Back then the road was narrow and winding. If you weren’t struggling up a steep climb, you were struggling to hold it back on the way down.

Star down under.:
https://youtu.be/1_24Ex2Gifw
Sydney/Newcastle would have been hard yakka in this old jigger. Back then the road was narrow and winding. If you weren’t struggling up a steep climb, you were struggling to hold it back on the way down.

Yes the old thing looks to working hard Solo. A bit of a reminder not to look through rose tinted!

just been on the aec picture site looking at the tippers that muck shifted on the m25 anybody seen any mamouth major 6 wheel tippers possibly for sale.

Wasn’t the six wheeler called a Marshall and the six wheel artic and eight wheeler called a Mammoth Major, just though it may help with your search.

HIya… Here,s one i saw her yesterday infact i put a new alternator on her.
she,s a mammoth major six but there,s a turntable instead of a tipper body.

No she isnt parked in the grass anymore i,ve moved her.
Cheer,s John