aec

CAV 551 Wrote,
I am no nearer with the AEC cabs though since I can’t find the copy of Classic & Vintage Commercials which had an article about AEC cabs.

The AEC’s are MkIII Mammoth Major Eights. The cabs themselves are coachbuilt by a number of companies that carried out this work around the country. Only the chassis and front scuttle would be taken to the customers chosen Coachbuilder for the cab and body to be built and fitted following AEC prints. The later '‘Tin Front’ models were still MkIII’s but had the rounded front to give the model an updated look. Both models here. Franky.

pictures_aec_mammoth_1948_4.jpg

Geordielad:
CAV 551 Wrote,
I am no nearer with the AEC cabs though since I can’t find the copy of Classic & Vintage Commercials which had an article about AEC cabs.

The AEC’s are MkIII Mammoth Major Eights. The cabs themselves are coachbuilt by a number of companies that carried out this work around the country. Only the chassis and front scuttle would be taken to the customers chosen Coachbuilder for the cab and body to be built and fitted following AEC prints. The later '‘Tin Front’ models were still MkIII’s but had the rounded front to give the model an updated look. Both models here. Franky.

I had two regular MK3 Mammoth Majors,TWR 573 was ex Harold Wood and had a Hampshire Car Bodies cab.The other one was TGJ 530,ex Shell Mex and BP with an identical cab to the other one I’ve posted.
Both are Pod Robinson photos.

evans4.jpg

Having had a trawl through Flickr I’ve found some names of cab manufacturers other than PArk Royal who built cabs for AEC. Whether they did so for MK III Mammoth Majors I don’t know.
Tillotson, Boalloy, Holmalloy, Duramin.

Can’t honestly say I could fancy driving one

FB_IMG_16679857309784312.jpg

coomsey:
Can’t honestly say I could fancy driving one

In eighty years time people will be posting the same about what we think are the Rolls Royce of commercial vehicles, today. :laughing:
They didn’t know any better back then, probably thought the same, as you are saying, about bullock trains, camel trains and horse and carts.

Tillotson cab.
heritagemachines.com/commercials/the-aec-story/
with a bit about the wagon
Oily

Interesting set of export AECs for Belgium (posted by PV8 on another thread this week).

oiltreader:
Tillotson cab.
heritagemachines.com/commercials/the-aec-story/
with a bit about the wagon
Oily

Very smart tanker 1934 reg, Unusual tyre pattern on the front axles. Larry.

Another picture of the AEC that Oily posted on Monday. I had a bit of a search
and I found that it has a petrol engine of about 9600 cc, Would that have been
an AEC engine, or perhaps from another engine manufacturer ■■

Ray.

Ray Smyth wrote;
Another picture of the AEC that Oily posted on Monday. I had a bit of a search
and I found that it has a petrol engine of about 9600 cc, Would that have been
an AEC engine, or perhaps from another engine manufacturer ■■

The Mills AEC Mammoth Major Eight in the pic dates its registration from October 1934 to September 1935 Liverpool, the AEC eight wheel rigid was the first to be produced with an Internal Combustion engine and this was in 1934, although AEC had developed the ‘Oil Engine’ in 1928 being put into vehicles in 1930. An 8.1 litre engine that by 1934 was developed into an Indirect Injection 8.8 litre of 130bhp @ 2400rpm, quite an achievement in power at that date. However some of the first MM Eights were fitted with Petrol engines so it’s quite likely this one in the photo was one of those and it would have been an AEC engine. I believe this vehicle is preserved in a Museum. Franky

She stands well

Thanks to The Carlisle Kid for this photo snapped at the 2018 Heathersgill Vintage Club Rally.
Oily

What was the model of this one? It seems it’s written Mammoth on the radiator, but weren’t the Mammoths only 6 or 8-wheelers? Thanks.

coomsey:
She stands well

WouldI be correct in thinking this was taken at Oswald Tillitsons at Burnley AEC Main dealers.

Froggy55:
0What was the model of this one? It seems it’s written Mammoth on the radiator, but weren’t the Mammoths only 6 or 8-wheelers? Thanks.

Mammoths, Mammoth Minors and Mammoth Majors could all be tractive units. Plenty of examples if you google it.

Froggy55 wrote:
AEC tractor CFL 825.jpgWhat was the model of this one? It seems it’s written Mammoth on the radiator, but weren’t the Mammoths only 6 or 8-wheelers? Thanks.

The early 30’s AEC models of four wheel rigids were named Mammoth, Monarch, Mercury and Matador (4x2) but Artic versions were usually cut down versions of these models, so the name badges were still shown on radiators. There was no real advantage back then of the Artic over the Wagon and Drag weight wise and Artic’s were also considered less safe on braking and stability. The Mercury name also reappeared in the early 50’s to meet the medium weight market, it previously was a model built from 1929 to 37, the Mandator covering the top weight tractor. Franky.

A MK5 AEC Mandator of A E Evans.It was ex Mobiloil,MGY 127D.
And a tilt cab Mandator of A E Evans,possibly ex Thomas Allen,VEV 266L.
Both based at our Barking depot.

evans155.jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:

coomsey:
She stands well

WouldI be correct in thinking this was taken at Oswald Tillitsons at Burnley AEC Main dealers.

I don’t recognise that as Tillotsons Burnley site, Summit Works, there will be a photo of it there because Tillys took a photo of all new vehicles before delivery. It was supplied by Tillotsons with a Tillotson cab and body, although as with all things that Harold Cartmell bought it was different to anybody else’s. He carried a lot of paper reels in those days he had his flats double boarded with the top boards planed off towards the centre so the reels would roll straight down the middle of the flat; now you didn’t think of that did you Dennis. Incidentally that was an 11.3 rather than the more usual 9.6, 150bhp, 6 speed overdrive and 40x8 tyres in it’s day it was very quick, again normal for Harold. Back to the photo I’ll ask a man who will definitely not only know where it is, but who parked it there, unfortunately not Harold anymore he died 6 years ago at 94.

Geordielad:
Froggy55 wrote:
AEC tractor CFL 825.jpgWhat was the model of this one? It seems it’s written Mammoth on the radiator, but weren’t the Mammoths only 6 or 8-wheelers? Thanks.

The early 30’s AEC models of four wheel rigids were named Mammoth, Monarch, Mercury and Matador (4x2) but Artic versions were usually cut down versions of these models, so the name badges were still shown on radiators. There was no real advantage back then of the Artic over the Wagon and Drag weight wise and Artic’s were also considered less safe on braking and stability. The Mercury name also reappeared in the early 50’s to meet the medium weight market, it previously was a model built from 1929 to 37, the Mandator covering the top weight tractor. Franky.

Thanks!