aec

ramone:

Dipster:

ramone:
I was watching an episode of Outback Opal Hunters last night and there was what appeared to be an AEC Mammoth Major 6x4 tractor unit with a low loader trailer. I have seen previously on this series a Foden 8 wheeler with a Mickey Mouse cab and a Mercedes from the early '70s . I can’t believe the AEC is still working albeit part time. Anyone know when the Aussies stopped buying them ?

Coober Pedy is not a big place. I doubt that many of the very old wagons they still use to haul the drilling/mining equipment travel more that a couple of hundred kilometres a year. So I reckon it is possible that it could still be used-perhaps off highway. Possibly towed by another vehicle but still useful! Many of the operations there are shoe-string affairs, blokes hoping to strike lucky. When I was visiting the Maltese bloke running the fuel station had done just that and had used his lucky strike to buy the station.

I was just suprised to see it , im saying it was an AEC but it wasn’t a clear shot , did Leyland sell any double drive ergos over there in tractor unit form ?

Definitely AEC

Working gal, with streamlined body by Michelotti :smiley: So you know this crowd Pete? NMP off FB

FB_IMG_1646480371714.jpg

NMP off FB

ramone:

ramone:

Dipster:

ramone:
I was watching an episode of Outback Opal Hunters last night and there was what appeared to be an AEC Mammoth Major 6x4 tractor unit with a low loader trailer. I have seen previously on this series a Foden 8 wheeler with a Mickey Mouse cab and a Mercedes from the early '70s . I can’t believe the AEC is still working albeit part time. Anyone know when the Aussies stopped buying them ?

Coober Pedy is not a big place. I doubt that many of the very old wagons they still use to haul the drilling/mining equipment travel more that a couple of hundred kilometres a year. So I reckon it is possible that it could still be used-perhaps off highway. Possibly towed by another vehicle but still useful! Many of the operations there are shoe-string affairs, blokes hoping to strike lucky. When I was visiting the Maltese bloke running the fuel station had done just that and had used his lucky strike to buy the station.

I was just suprised to see it , im saying it was an AEC but it wasn’t a clear shot , did Leyland sell any double drive ergos over there in tractor unit form ?

Definitely AEC

I’ve just been watching another episode and there’s a close up on the AEC , including a couple of shots of the inside while they are moving equipment. He looked to be struggling a bit with it but it’s pretty rough. And of course its got Leyland on the front , sacrilage , its definitely a well used AEC MM6

ERF-NGC-European:

Possibly a Belgian AEC according to the small registration-plate

AEC learning to swim:

vfgR.jpg

Nice!! NMP off FB

My dad with his Militant in Gibraltar 1958/59

ERF-NGC-European:
AEC learning to swim:

Hiya,
A novel way of dipping your headlights

Almost perfect, just add an Hiab :sunglasses: NMP off FB

coomsey:
Almost perfect, just add an Hiab :sunglasses: NMP off FB

Beautiful old AEC coomsey, I spent so many happy hours in one similar.

One for Laurence , i’m told this was Smiles’s motor … from FB outside Tillotsons Burnley

And one for Dennis , from FB , the caption with this says they were part of K Fell , is that who you bought Dennis . Again outside Tillotsons Burnley

ramone:
And one for Dennis , from FB , the caption with this says they were part of K Fell , is that who you bought Dennis . Again outside Tillotsons Burnley

Nice shot that “ramone” and by way of a bit of info Davy & Co ( Grange) Ltd traded as K. Fell & Co and they bought the 5 vehicle “A” licenced business of J. B. Hudson Ltd from Athersmith Bros Ltd. of Barrow in Furness in June 1966 and who had purchased it from J.B. Hudson of Sandside in 1960 who then renamed themselves Hudson Engineers Ltd and carried on with running HGV repairs and recovery. So I would say that new Marshall would have been an “E” reg as I only recall them running some Marshalls on the “D” or the “E” lettered as K. Fell & Co and also on the other of their firms J .L. Ion Ltd. Fells and Ion’s ran on Contract Licences out of Libbys at Milnthorpe but that J. B. Hudson Marshall would have been on an “A” licence. They were all single drive and ran at 22ton gvw.
Couple of shots of the two J.B.Hudson motors I purchased in June '76 when I bought the business.

Once again “ramone” thanks for putting a fine shot on the site ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

ramone:

Nice shot that “ramone” and by way of a bit of info Davy & Co ( Grange) Ltd traded as K. Fell & Co and they bought the 5 vehicle “A” licenced business of J. B. Hudson Ltd from Athersmith Bros Ltd. of Barrow in Furness in June 1966 and who had purchased it from J.B. Hudson of Sandside in 1960 who then renamed themselves Hudson Engineers Ltd and carried on with running HGV repairs and recovery. So I would say that new Marshall would have been an “E” reg as I only recall them running some Marshalls on the “D” or the “E” lettered as K. Fell & Co and also on the other of their firms J .L. Ion Ltd. Fells and Ion’s ran on Contract Licences out of Libbys at Milnthorpe but that J. B. Hudson Marshall would have been on an “A” licence. They were all single drive and ran at 22ton gvw.
Couple of shots of the two J.B.Hudson motors I purchased in June '76 when I bought the business.
Once again “ramone” thanks for putting a fine shot on the site ! Cheers Dennis.[/quote
Interesting stuff Dennis , i think you are right with the registration being D or E because the early ones had the lettering on the bottom panel closer together i think they were spaced out more on the G registeations

ramone:

Bewick:

ramone:

Once again “ramone” thanks for putting a fine shot on the site ! Cheers Dennis.
[/quote
Interesting stuff Dennis , i think you are right with the registration being D or E because the early ones had the lettering on the bottom panel closer together i think they were spaced out more on the G registeations

The other thing I forgot to mention “ramone” was that they could manage a 15 ton payload with the lightweight Ali and whitewood flooring but I see that tubeless tyres hadn’t appeared at that time otherwise they could have managed a bit more payload ! Cheers Dennis.

Ramone wrote; I think you are right with the registration being D or E because the early ones had the lettering on the bottom panel closer together I think they were spaced out more on the G registrations.
A better way to date the Marshal would be the mirror arms, they moved from the door to the screen front pillars from 1968, I haven’t seen an E reg (1 Jan 1967 to 31 July 1967) with the arms in the new position but F reg onwards do, whereas G reg’s could have the restyled lower grille with the model name added or the old style depending on their registration date 1 August 68 to 31 July 69. Franky.

Now that is an interesting observation about the repositioning of the mirrors on the Marshal from the door onto the pillar but I’m certain that K.Fell/JB Hudson only ran D & E reg Marshals and the one in the shot looks to have the mirror arms fixed on the pillar and not the door !
I see that there is some debate about the setting of the large initials AEC ! So I wonder if this observation helps. Cheers Bewick.
PS I wonder if this Marshal was a late “E” reg and it did in fact have the re positioned mirrors prior to the reg nos. changing to “F” reg in August '67.