aec

Mk IIIs were almost flat.

cav551:
Mk IIIs were almost flat.

Sorry! I meant 11s and pressed too many 1s :unamused:

coomsey:
Somebody’s pride n joy. NMP off FB

That’s a nice old Mandator Coomsey , i wonder if it survived , judging by the flat tandem trailers in the background i would say the photo is 70s or early 80s but i could be wrong i usually am

ramone:

coomsey:

That’s a nice old Mandator Coomsey , i wonder if it survived , judging by the flat tandem trailers in the background i would say the photo is 70s or early 80s but i could be wrong i usually am

That Mandator survived,now in W H Malcolm’s livery I believe.

Chris Webb:

ramone:

coomsey:

That Mandator survived,now in W H Malcolm’s livery I believe.

It looks in fair condition there , i think i’ve seen it in Malcolms colours glas it survived

Mogul in Argentina.

Neat! NMP off FB

Looks the business NMP off FB

coomsey:
Looks the business NMP off FB

It certainly does! Looks like a Militant artic to me.

Working gal NMP off FB

Full whack ! NMP off FB

coomsey:
Working gal NMP off FB

Crikey! Looks like it had been flogged with in an inch.

NMP off FB

coomsey:
NMP off FB

An early show with the new Ergomatic?

Seems to be a Mandator going off the rear diff and front axle, pity there wasn’t other views, an interesting photo. Franky.

Ive been searching online for information regarding the so called merger between ACV and Leyland. On announcement of their intentions Henry Spurrier the top man at Leyland said that both groups would continue independently but share research and development. He said it would be healthy for both groups to continue in competion with each other as this would keep the both of them on their toes (or words to that effect). Well that didnt last long . The combined value of both groups in 1962 was £117 million which would be around £2.66 billion today. It`s staggering that at the time of the “merger” the new group would be the largest commercial vehicle manufacturer in the world. Lord Brabazon the chairman of ACV was singing the same tune as was the managing director Sir William Black , so what could possibly go wrong ■■? :wink:

ramone:
Ive been searching online for information regarding the so called merger between ACV and Leyland. On announcement of their intentions Henry Spurrier the top man at Leyland said that both groups would continue independently but share research and development. He said it would be healthy for both groups to continue in competion with each other as this would keep the both of them on their toes (or words to that effect). Well that didnt last long . The combined value of both groups in 1962 was £117 million which would be around £2.66 billion today. It`s staggering that at the time of the “merger” the new group would be the largest commercial vehicle manufacturer in the world. Lord Brabazon the chairman of ACV was singing the same tune as was the managing director Sir William Black , so what could possibly go wrong ■■? :wink:

Here`s what the workers thought as the last Marathon was ready for off with a mock up cab

Last Marathon.jpg

I was watching an episode of Outback Opal Hunters last night and there was what appeared to be an AEC Mammoth Major 6x4 tractor unit with a low loader trailer. I have seen previously on this series a Foden 8 wheeler with a Mickey Mouse cab and a Mercedes from the early '70s . I can’t believe the AEC is still working albeit part time. Anyone know when the Aussies stopped buying them ?

ramone:
I was watching an episode of Outback Opal Hunters last night and there was what appeared to be an AEC Mammoth Major 6x4 tractor unit with a low loader trailer. I have seen previously on this series a Foden 8 wheeler with a Mickey Mouse cab and a Mercedes from the early '70s . I can’t believe the AEC is still working albeit part time. Anyone know when the Aussies stopped buying them ?

Coober Pedy is not a big place. I doubt that many of the very old wagons they still use to haul the drilling/mining equipment travel more that a couple of hundred kilometres a year. So I reckon it is possible that it could still be used-perhaps off highway. Possibly towed by another vehicle but still useful! Many of the operations there are shoe-string affairs, blokes hoping to strike lucky. When I was visiting the Maltese bloke running the fuel station had done just that and had used his lucky strike to buy the station.

Dipster:

ramone:

Coober Pedy is not a big place. I doubt that many of the very old wagons they still use to haul the drilling/mining equipment travel more that a couple of hundred kilometres a year. So I reckon it is possible that it could still be used-perhaps off highway. Possibly towed by another vehicle but still useful! Many of the operations there are shoe-string affairs, blokes hoping to strike lucky. When I was visiting the Maltese bloke running the fuel station had done just that and had used his lucky strike to buy the station.

I was just suprised to see it , im saying it was an AEC but it wasn’t a clear shot , did Leyland sell any double drive ergos over there in tractor unit form ?