aec

ramone:

essexpete:
https://youtu.be/UWrfIfQUlNM

Some of the film quality is very poor but the sound is good and it takes me back to 1969 riding in Dad’s AEC tipper with Dad or Norman. Nothing better for a 9 year old lorry obsessed boy than riding in the new but noisy AEC Ergo with the 505 revving away.
Helif that little truck couldn’t fly. Well over 60mph on a flat road with 10 ton of ballast.

They were good for 75 mph

Funny you mention that but Dad’s driver, Norman, reckoned the Mercury would go over 70mph but I wondered if that had been an exaggeration. Seem not then. Sorry I doubted you Mr Steward. I had to call him Mr in front of Mum when I was sub 10 but he always said call me Norman when I spent the day with him. How I loved those times.

essexpete:

ramone:

essexpete:
https://youtu.be/UWrfIfQUlNM

Some of the film quality is very poor but the sound is good and it takes me back to 1969 riding in Dad’s AEC tipper with Dad or Norman. Nothing better for a 9 year old lorry obsessed boy than riding in the new but noisy AEC Ergo with the 505 revving away.
Helif that little truck couldn’t fly. Well over 60mph on a flat road with 10 ton of ballast.

They were good for 75 mph

Funny you mention that but Dad’s driver, Norman, reckoned the Mercury would go over 70mph but I wondered if that had been an exaggeration. Seem not then. Sorry I doubted you Mr Steward. I had to call him Mr in front of Mum when I was sub 10 but he always said call me Norman when I spent the day with him. How I loved those times.

We had Marshall tippers and powder tanks with the 505 at our quarry (before my time there though) and apparently they were flyers on the level although rather poor on hills due to the gap between the gears and a slow gearchange. They did suffer from headgasket issues though, and the fan blades exiting through the radiator was another regular happening! :laughing: When I started there the stores still had plenty of spares for them (springs, heads, gearboxes, injectors and pumps etc) but they eventually went down the quarry tip.

Pete.

ERF-NGC-European:

I looked twice when i saw this , i thought it was a home made sleeper but just bigger back corner windows than the standard issue

ramone:

ERF-NGC-European:

I looked twice when i saw this , i thought it was a home made sleeper but just bigger back corner windows than the standard issue

Ah! So Coomsey was right about it looking odd. It looks to me as the rear window is deeper than normal, in that it extends downward to almost level with the passenger window (rather than finishing halfway down it).

ERF-NGC-European:

ramone:

ERF-NGC-European:

Ah! So Coomsey was right about it looking odd. It looks to me as the rear window is deeper than normal, in that it extends downward to almost level with the passenger window (rather than finishing halfway down it).

They were mu h smaller on the MKVs

ramone:

ERF-NGC-European:

ramone:

ERF-NGC-European:

They were mu h smaller on the MKVs

Could be the camera tricking the eye ! Looks almost like bottom n top off different models :open_mouth:

The Mercury milk tanker was bought in 2015 by Agricultural Contractor, AKA Caboverpete on The Farming Forum.
The Mercury had stood in a barn for nearly 30 years and Pete was eventually able to buy it in fairly original sound condition. The real joy? It was a truck Pete’s late Father had driven from new and Pete had ridden in it as a boy. It needed surprisingly little work to make it road worthy.

Screenshot_20211210_202152.jpg

There were differing cab styles on the MkV Mandator which would have depended on the several coachbuilders who were supplied by AEC with blueprints of the cab designs, and possibly some preference from the customer as what design was chosen, the vehicles still left Southall with just the scuttle then for the cab to be later fitted. The export models particularly in Australia seemed to have a slightly deeper cab (as the one above) and bigger rear quarter windows or even a small flat window on the side, some with sleeper areas fitted too. Franky.

Frankydobo:
There were differing cab styles on the MkV Mandator which would have depended on the several coachbuilders who were supplied by AEC with blueprints of the cab designs, and possibly some preference from the customer as what design was chosen, the vehicles still left Southall with just the scuttle then for the cab to be later fitted. The export models particularly in Australia seemed to have a slightly deeper cab (as the one above) and bigger rear quarter windows or even a small flat window on the side, some with sleeper areas fitted too. Franky.

I was going by what looked like a Park Royal cab. Duramin also supplied cabs for Mk Vs and there were others too.

ERF-NGC-European:

Frankydobo:

I was going by what looked like a Park Royal cab. Duramin also supplied cabs for Mk Vs and there were others too.

Harold Wood had their own cab building company called Spen Coachworks.This A E Evans MK5 was ex Woods with Spen cab,same as the one just in shot,526 GYG.A Pod Robinson photo.

Chris Webb:

ERF-NGC-European:

Frankydobo:

Harold Wood had their own cab building company called Spen Coachworks.This A E Evans MK5 was ex Woods with Spen cab,same as the one just in shot,526 GYG.A Pod Robinson photo.

Harold Wood and Spen were in the next street from each other, Wood’s in Wormald St and Spen in Union Rd.

I think Tillotsons made cabs too , not sure what these are could they be Park Royal ?

Here you go mate, Peter Chowns flickr photo, AEC with cab by Oswald Tillotson Burnley. Les.

les-p:
Here you go mate, Peter Chowns flickr photo, AEC with cab by Oswald Tillotson Burnley. Les.

Thats a nice motor Les pictured at Burnley i think outsde Tillotsons works

Working girls ! NMP off FB

coomsey:

Steering wheels are at a very acute angle even for an early (Park Royal) Mercury/Marshall chassis - which these are not. Not clear whether these are MKIII or MkV but these would have been shipped as a CKD chassis cowl to be fitted with a locally built cab, or only running gear and chassis rails?

cav551:

coomsey:

Steering wheels are at a very acute angle even for an early (Park Royal) Mercury/Marshall chassis - which these are not. Not clear whether these are MKIII or MkV but these would have been shipped as a CKD chassis cowl to be fitted with a locally built cab, or only running gear and chassis rails?

They’re a fine looking pair Cav. South Africa?

Somebody’s pride n joy. NMP off FB

coomsey:

cav551:

coomsey:

Van Twist of Dordrecht in Holland. Funnily enough, the steep steering rake was the first thing that caught my eye this morning. Mark Vs had much flatter steering wheels so perhaps Mark 111s.

coomsey:

cav551:

coomsey:

Dordrecht is in the Netherlands if that helps

Edit: Note to self - scroll down and read the other posts before posting :laughing: :laughing: