aec

Nice to hear from you again Mr Gill. :smiley:
How are things going ?
Stay safe.

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:
Found this ont dark side,nice photo of a V8 Mandator of Nestle.
It’s listed in Graham Edge’s V8 book as belonging to Motor Services,anybody know if that was Nestle’s transport service ?

Yes Chris “Motor Services” was Nestles name for their transport division who were based at Hayes ! and what a rum outfit they were to ! Just to give you a flavour of how they operated------ they would trunk loads ( on flats) all over the UK between their factories but each time a loaded trailer was dropped the Driver removed his ropes from the load then the Driver who picked it up for it’s next “move” had to rope it up it again !! I kid you not !! So a trailer could be re-roped a few times between leaving and arriving as the Nestles Drivers never had nights out. Things changed a bit when they went over to Tautliners eh! :unamused: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Morning Dennis,thanks for the info,they had a factory at either Ashbourne or Uttoxeter I think.
What a bloody strange thing to ask drivers to do,nowt so queer as folk is there. :smiley:
How are you by the way,all jabbed up and fit and healthy?

Hiya Chris, aye we’ve had both our jabs ( Pfizer) last one a week gone Saturday, hope you have had the same and that we can now avoid catching the Plague ! Anyhow how do like being back in Gods Country ? better than the IOM ? It’s a nice part on the country Thirsk and close to the moors for healthy walks !! :wink: Regards Dennis.

grumpy old man:
Nice to hear from you again Mr Gill. :smiley:
How are things going ?
Stay safe.

Hiya,
Thank you GOM, I’ve looked in every day but if I’ve nowt to say
I say nowt. I’m keeping OK as I hope are you I’m double jabbed
so hoping I’m now immune from the dreaded lurgy wanting to
get back to normality ASAP, keep well mate.

One of my grandaughters (21, school teacher in Bradford) tested positive last Friday. She lives by herself, we’ve just rung her and she says she’'s feeling as rough as a bears ars…a bears backside.
Main symptoms…taste and smell and abdominal pain. She said that last evening she tried to drown the Covid with vodka :smiley:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:
Found this ont dark side,nice photo of a V8 Mandator of Nestle.
It’s listed in Graham Edge’s V8 book as belonging to Motor Services,anybody know if that was Nestle’s transport service ?

Yes Chris “Motor Services” was Nestles name for their transport division who were based at Hayes ! and what a rum outfit they were to ! Just to give you a flavour of how they operated------ they would trunk loads ( on flats) all over the UK between their factories but each time a loaded trailer was dropped the Driver removed his ropes from the load then the Driver who picked it up for it’s next “move” had to rope it up it again !! I kid you not !! So a trailer could be re-roped a few times between leaving and arriving as the Nestles Drivers never had nights out. Things changed a bit when they went over to Tautliners eh! :unamused: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Morning Dennis,thanks for the info,they had a factory at either Ashbourne or Uttoxeter I think.
What a bloody strange thing to ask drivers to do,nowt so queer as folk is there. :smiley:
How are you by the way,all jabbed up and fit and healthy?

Hiya Chris, aye we’ve had both our jabs ( Pfizer) last one a week gone Saturday, hope you have had the same and that we can now avoid catching the Plague ! Anyhow how do like being back in Gods Country ? better than the IOM ? It’s a nice part on the country Thirsk and close to the moors for healthy walks !! :wink: Regards Dennis.

Hi Dennis,aye nice to be back in Yorkshire and it is a nice area with Moors to east and Dales to west.I don’t regret leaving Ellan Vannin,nice place but too isolated in the end.We’ve had both AZ jabs and fit as fleas.

She’d do for me ! NMP off FB

coomsey:

This would probably be one of the last AECs built but it has the original grille whereas most had the Leyland grille anyone know if you could order the original or is it a restored example?

coomsey:

Great looking motor!

coomsey:

Get in the queue young fella…it’d do for me as well AND, even with my creaking aching bones I reckon I could mount it.
A handsome machine. Note the all round vision.

grumpy old man:

coomsey:

Get in the queue young fella…it’d do for me as well AND, even with my creaking aching bones I reckon I could mount it.

Do you remember this one from your tine at Harrisons G.O.M ?

ramone:

grumpy old man:

coomsey:

It’s over 60 years ago but IIRC in it’s heyday that was one of the London trunk motors. I seem to recall the HTM reg. no.
In the cab it had a little red arm to indicate air pressure, I know because I ran it into a wall in Harrisons yard, nobody had told me about the indicator, I woz only a van lad, no licence, but us young lads liked to move the big motors round the yard on a Monday morning.
The wall killed that trailer pushing bar across the front of the grille :blush:

“HOWRAM, come here you daft sod”…I can still hear the foreman shouting.

grumpy old man:

ramone:

grumpy old man:

coomsey:

It’s over 60 years ago but IIRC in it’s heyday that was one of the London trunk motors. I seem to recall the HTM reg. no.
In the cab it had a little red arm to indicate air pressure, I know because I ran it into a wall in Harrisons yard, nobody had told me about the indicator, I woz only a van lad, no licence, but us young lads liked to move the big motors round the yard on a Monday morning.
The wall killed that trailer pushing bar across the front of the grille :blush:

“HOWRAM, come here you daft sod”…I can still hear the foreman shouting.

There’s a small article abour it in one of the vintage magazines , one of the Deans from Halifax went on a breakdown to Ayr with it 38 mph

ramone:

coomsey:

This would probably be one of the last AECs built but it has the original grille whereas most had the Leyland grille anyone know if you could order the original or is it a restored example?

:smiley: Ramone,they could well have got it off A E Evans,they had several old type grills leaning against the wall int garage at Sheffield.
Those tilt cab Mammoth Majors were a treat to drive.When my Mandator was on MOT I took this out,a nice run from Sheffield to Ferodo Bangor with white spirit.It was ex Harold Wood,but I can’t remember if it had the AV691 or 760,it was off the road when photo were taken,which is not mine.

coomsey:

Hiya,
Gerra pup on it they gan better down the banks in Aberdeen overdrive.

I drove this Mk 5 AEC in 1963, slow on the level 37 mph flat out but it went up hill & down dale with no problems. Loved 20 tonne on its back, Of course that was the norm in those long gone good old days running fire bricks from Henry Fosters brick works in Backworth, Smiles did all their traffic & reloaded a lot of South Wales firms when In the area, Llanwern RTB Steel works was a regular drop, Reload with coils for the Singer Sewing Machine Co in Glasgow from a Mr Lewis whom I never met, Only spoke on the telephone, & then a load from Bobby Martin who had the work out of Steins fire brick Co at Castlecary, Bonnybridge, Back down to Consett Iron Works, Regards Larry.
Mk 5 2.jpg

harry_gill:

coomsey:

Hiya,

Now you should know Mr Gill that that is very naughty. :stuck_out_tongue:

grumpy old man:

harry_gill:

coomsey:

Hiya,

Apparently GOM i have just heard that HTM could be still around but in a bit of a state

ramone:

grumpy old man:

harry_gill:

coomsey:

Hiya,

Apparently GOM i have just heard that HTM could be still around but in a bit of a state

Do you know where it might be. Harrisons AEC’s (and the Leyland) earned their keep, London trunk every night and shunting round London or Yorkshire during the day…
My first love :blush: …an AEC Mk3 MM…with a Dyson hung on the back. :smiley:
I then transferred my affections to the Mk 5 which I still consider to be the best 8 legger ever built.

Lawrence Dunbar
Hi Larry, just been reading the post on loading out of Llanwern for Glasgow through a Mr Lewis.
Could it have been BrIan Lewis of Cardiff Tpt? . Was it before CT came into being, just a thougHTC.
Regards, Allan