AEC Society Centenary Rally: Newark Showground 26-27th May

For those who are not already aware, this weekend is the AEC Society’s annual Rally being held at the Newark Showground.

This years event celebrates the 100th anniversary of the formation of the Associated Equipment Company. A considerable number of vehicles have been entered for the event, many being new restorations & vehicles that have not been seen for some time.

Further information can be found here: aec2012.org.uk/index.php

So how many TruckNetUK members will be attending &/or exhibiting?

Regards,

Andrew

Hiya…ME i’am going to have a bash at it…i’ve never been that far in her but theres no rush.
its 135 miles for me each way. sorry if i hold anyone up between buckley and newark on
FRIDAY afternoon. she travels at 50mph ok so its just abit slow setting off.
i’ll go along the A50 so thats mostly duel carrigeway.give us wave, we look like this.

John

Hello John,

Very much looking forward to seeing your vehicle, I’ve been watching your progress on here. I’ll drop & say hello at some point over the weekend.

Regards,

Andrew

Here I am organizing the ferry from NZ to the UK,should get into Tilbury Friday morning,looking forward to it fellas.

NZ JAMIE:
Here I am organizing the ferry from NZ to the UK,should get into Tilbury Friday morning,looking forward to it fellas.

Fantastic!!

It would be great to see you there… Probably best if you leave coming round the M25 until after dark. :laughing:

Andrew

I`m going to try and get there sunday ,fingers crossed

Thanks for all of your replies so far. Looking forward to a great weekend. Even the weather seems to be favourable… :smiley:

Apparently vehicle entries are now in excess of 550! :open_mouth:

225 are AEC products with a 65/35 split in favour of lorries versus those other things that they made.

I think this has the makings of a very special event.

Andrew.

I’ll be there on Sunday with this. Sorry AEC enthusiasts that it wasn’t made in Southall, just another quality product killed off in the shambles that was British Leyland!
Bernard

What a fantastic show.I would like to thank everybody who made the effort to show there trucks and buses at newark.The weather
was brilliant and what a good turn out of different classics.Without the dedication and enthusiasme of the owners these shows would
not be possible.As a lorry driver of the last thirty six years,all the memmories came flooding back.I know all you younger lads that
drive all the new scannias and volvos will no doubt disagree but without these old motors such as the wimpy six wheel tippers
our motorways would not have been built.I still drive lorries today but they dont have the same appeal.Perhaps its because im getting
old.Thanks for a great day NIGEL HUNT.

nigelhunt:
What a fantastic show.I would like to thank everybody who made the effort to show there trucks and buses at newark.The weather
was brilliant and what a good turn out of different classics.Without the dedication and enthusiasme of the owners these shows would
not be possible.As a lorry driver of the last thirty six years,all the memmories came flooding back.I know all you younger lads that
drive all the new scannias and volvos will no doubt disagree but without these old motors such as the wimpy six wheel tippers
our motorways would not have been built.I still drive lorries today but they dont have the same appeal.Perhaps its because im getting
old.Thanks for a great day NIGEL HUNT.

Totaly agree with you a fantastic turn out and the vehicles were top quality ,there were a few mandators there with fuller boxes ,and a rigid mercury with a fuller type gearstick with the pull up switch anyone any ideas what box was in it?

HI 3300 ,John ,Did you have a good weekend ,the weather kept nice ,hope you have some pics ,to put on ,cheers Barry

b.waddy:
HI 3300 ,John ,Did you have a good weekend ,the weather kept nice ,hope you have some pics ,to put on ,cheers Barry

Hiya what a weekend WOW…well this will surprise you…i only took about 8 photo’s…i did;t know where to shoot. do i shoot this one or that one
dose this look better than that one it was like a kid in a toy shop…unless you was there you’ll never know.
I’am on someone else’s computer at the moment i’ll have to post the photo’s when i get home.
thanks to every one who come and said hello it was great.the old girl wisked across the A50 like mad.134 miles of clatter and joy and at about 12 mpg.
OH the flex in the exhaust split making her a bit noisy. never mind that easy to fix.
cheers John

Was a great show,
mcgoverns and lloyds of ludlow must have huge sheds to keep their classics in!

there are lots of good photos on flickr.com titled aec centenary rally newark 2012

Where were all the marathons? thought there would be a few as it was supposedly an aec developed product,there wasnt even 1.

3300 john your motor looked great,saw the new paint at llandudno but the box was a suprise,youve transformed it from last year.

HI ALL, Iwould of liked to have gone my self ,but its too hard going for my wife to push me round you would think thease rallys would hire elec, ones out i am shore a lot more diss persons would attend ,cheers Barry

I saw your motor 3300 John it looked great but there was no sign of you,i think i saw Bill (LB76) he had a green Fridged Freight t shirt on but he was eating so i didnt disturb him.The turnout was tremendous and the quality was of the highest level.Just 1 thing i noticed ,John Tweedys old V8 (GBH **G) which he had painted in Leathers Chemicals was there on the back of a low loader ,it is now red and looked in a sorry state anyone know whats happened to it?

I was there yesterday with my Albion, and can confirm it was a superb show, biggest turnout of commercials I’ve seen together in the 41 years I’ve been showing my lorry, a superb day weatherwise, great venue/facilities, and very well organised, a credit to the AEC Society. Can one of the “old hands” or mods on this site confirm whether I’m allowed to add photos as attachments? Some online clubs I visit don’t like you to use up too much space, and prefer you to use something like Photobucket, but it’s a pain in the arris uploading the pictures there and linking. I’ve a huge collection of old lorry pictures taken over 40-odd years, I took exactly 100 yesterday at Newark, that was only the motors I liked the look of and hadn’t photographed before! If I’m allowed to attach them I can easily post some on here.
Bernard

Hiya bernard. why not post them…you could of corse make a new site called my 40years of lorries and post all you like.
they’ll be there for many years to come. i know people will look and observe all you post.
i did look at your lorry as i’d seen it on TN and was lucky to view it on sunday…go for it.
i don’t know if many people know but most of Lloyds lorries are all one owner from new
John

Evening all, I finally got around to downloading my photo’s from the Newark weekend. Hope you like them!

Andrew

Cracking set of photos Andrew and nice to see 3300johns lorry in among them,looks well now its painted and liveried up.

Some ‘Before & After’ photo’s now:

AEC Mercury 6-9 months ago: (Thanks to Molepower for the use of his image)

The same vehicle at Newark 2012 after complete restoration including a ‘new’ fully restored cab!!

Here with Mandator stable-mate.

Loaded for home!