AEC Society Centenary Rally: Newark Showground 26-27th May

Stanfield:
Cracking set of photos Andrew and nice to see 3300johns lorry in among them,looks well now it painted and liveried up.

Thanks John, Yes, 3300john’s MM6 does look very nice indeed. I really like the livery he has gone for.

Bit of an overlap, I took over 100 pictures at the show, I’m posting them on the “past, present and in-between in pictures” thread, have a look on there, see some more.
Bernard

blimey andrew , you’d never thought it was the same unit ! they’ve done a remarkable job in restoring her , nice pics looks like it was a great weekend & probably far more satisfying to be at than truckfest !

I was in England on holiday in May so I attended this years Newark AEC show.It was fantastic I ve never seen so many restored lorries and buses in one place before.I have to take my hat off to the dedicated people who have spend countless hours and lots of money in restoring these great vehicles.The weather helped too it was florida type temperatures the day I went.I was born in leicestershire in 1949 my dad drove a maudsley plated aec mammoth major 8 wheel tipper for the whitwick granite company this was a 1950 model and lasted until 1964 I spend many summer holidays roaming around central england in this fine truck I was delighted to see similiar models on display at Newark this summer.Many thanks to all involved Wayne Robinson calgary canada

Im sure this was on the back of a low loader painted red and looking in a sorry state it wasnt that long ago it was parked at Arthur Greens premises at Steeton looking immaculate ,anyone know what happened ?

LEATHERS%20CHEMICALS%202.jpg

Re the leathers v8,ive read somewhere that its restoration was cosmetic and when the new owners got it it was a bit of a wreck mechanically.

Cant remember where i read about it,maybe on flickr

Sure someone will have it looking good again soon.

vwvanman0:
Re the leathers v8,ive read somewhere that its restoration was cosmetic and when the new owners got it it was a bit of a wreck mechanically.

Cant remember where i read about it,maybe on flickr

Sure someone will have it looking good again soon.

Ok thanks for the reply

Great photos of the AECs. This one looks like cross between a MK3 “tin front” and a MK5,is it an ex London Brick Company built cab as it has a 1957 Bedfordshire reg and IIRC they built some of their own.

Posted twice…edited.

We used to own the Cruiser A4 EWX…looks like someone has been handy with a welder or put a new cab on though! I think we must have sold it 3 or 4 years ago after Dad did a lot of the mechanical work to get it back on the road he decided his heart really wasn’t in and got another ERF instead.

Looks like it was a great weekend, my Dad and Brother took their wagons but someone else took the ERF I normally drive to shows as I was enjoying a weekend in sunny (for once) Great Yarmouth.

I asked this question earlier and got no reply ,i saw at least 2 16 ton ergo mercurys with what looked like a fuller style gearstick with the pull up switch anyone any ideas what box would have been in these ,i didnt think AEC fitted 2 speed axles

ramone:
I asked this question earlier and got no reply ,i saw at least 2 16 ton ergo mercurys with what looked like a fuller style gearstick with the pull up switch anyone any ideas what box would have been in these ,i didnt think AEC fitted 2 speed axles

I never heard of an AEC with a two speed axle either Ramone,but I suppose there could have been. I know they put the Fuller in some Mandators and AEC made a 10 speed splitter and I’m sure AEC made a range-change box at one time for Mandators plus the Leyland semi-auto box could be specified. I have lent out Graham Edge’s great book about the Mandator so all this is from memory.

Chris Webb:

ramone:

I never heard of an AEC with a two speed axle either Ramone,but I suppose there could have been. I know they put the Fuller in some Mandators and AEC made a 10 speed splitter and I’m sure AEC made a range-change box at one time for Mandators plus the Leyland semi-auto box could be specified. I have lent out Graham Edge’s great book about the Mandator so all this is from memory.

He may read this and put us out of our misery Chris , he comes on here from time to time and answers my questions

There was a Mercury at Gaydon last year with a black splitter /two speed type button on the standard type gear lever,but according to any spec sheets/brochures I’ve seen they only offered a splitter. The Mandator had the splitter available from 1969 though the semi-auto may have been available before that,they even offered the semi auto in the 8 legger,as ever AEC was ahead of the game, and then they changed to the AEC 10 spd range change then the Fuller.I aquired some spec sheets a while back off Graham, and I’m certain that at one point the Fuller was standard spec but the AEC range change was still an option.

Yes Ramone, I’ve popped up again. The Eaton 2-speed axle diff was an option in the GM4 Series Mercury (Holdens of Manchester had plenty of artic units with that option and the change button was on the dashboard). The Eaton diff bolted straight onto the standard AEC / Maudslay back axle casting. Some operators did the same option on the later TGM Mercury, but it was not a factory option. There was a 12-speed AEC / Thornycroft gearbox for the TGM Mercury and Marshal available. I did drive a Marshal with the 12-speed splitter on several occasions including one epic trip to the Isle of Lewis, and that gearbox made a huge improvement to the performance of a Marshal, remember there was only 165 bhp (in metric rating) on tap for 22/24 tons gross weight.

gingerfold:
Yes Ramone, I’ve popped up again. The Eaton 2-speed axle diff was an option in the GM4 Series Mercury (Holdens of Manchester had plenty of artic units with that option and the change button was on the dashboard). The Eaton diff bolted straight onto the standard AEC / Maudslay back axle casting. Some operators did the same option on the later TGM Mercury, but it was not a factory option. There was a 12-speed AEC / Thornycroft gearbox for the TGM Mercury and Marshal available. I did drive a Marshal with the 12-speed splitter on several occasions including one epic trip to the Isle of Lewis, and that gearbox made a huge improvement to the performance of a Marshal, remember there was only 165 bhp (in metric rating) on tap for 22/24 tons gross weight.

I knew you wouldn`t let me down,were you at Newark and if so did you see the 2 Mercurys with fuller style buttons on the gearsticks?

No, I didn’t go to Newark and I missed a good show by all accounts.

Pebbles 74:
Evening all, I finally got around to downloading my photo’s from the Newark weekend. Hope you like them!

Andrew

These two are from work we also had a Foden Alpha and an ERF C Series there

Lovely restoration on the Mustang Legion :smiley: , I’m thinking of getting rid of mine…Do you need any spares? or even another one :wink:

Trev.