Advice ?

Hey all, im 1 yr in my first driving job for a pallet network (day driver) whats the best ways to deal with the transport managers (who dont have a clue) very pushy in terms of making people do stuff that would get you [zb] over by vosa , i.e having short breaks, working whilst on break (back in the yard), going out on the road whilst vehicle has still got defects, although they may not be as serious as say a bald tyre or faulty braking system still the vehicle has defects wich should be fixed, but if we disagree we get threatend with the sack … for instance if 1 day i refused to take out the vehicle fearing my licence is on the line could they just sack me and get away with it ? any comments appreciated :grimacing:

Its your licence they only rent it and you, if you no its wrong dont do it as its you will pay the price anf if the companys like that there not worth working for

write to the big boss. he sounds like a bully.
that’s the official line.
but the other option is to do him some damage.

Take a chill pill.

Working on break no big deal, take a break later if you need it.

Defects ain’t the end of the world.

Vosa’s not on every corner.

what would you rather lose, your licence or your job?

Transport managers will always try to get you to do a little bit more “as a favour”.

Just remember its your licence and if you get stopped for any reason you are the first point of call for the Plod or Vosa.
If youve done wrong your boss/transport manager or whoever will deny all knowledge of telling you to get the job done at all costs, saying he never condones law breaking.

This will be done to save is own arse!

Look after number 1 at all times!

Having said all that you are in your 1st year as you say and unfortunately inexperienced drivers have to start somewhere and its usually the not so squeaky clean companies that will take on newbies.

Best thing IMHO is to get on with the job as best you can, make sure the defects are sorted, tell him when asked that “Youll do the best you can”, gain a little bit of experience, dont run bent and keep looking for other work.

Also unfortunately if youve been employed for under 12 months you cannot claim unfair dismissal (except for Racist or Sexist reasons I think)…after that if they sack you for not running bent then call ACAS and screw them for what you can!

Short breaks…You mean less than 15 or 30?
What about the defects,what sort do you mean chap?

scanny77:

i lost my licence once, didn’t matter though, i just sent off for another. the old one was found in the washing machine, so i ended up with a clean licence.

scanny77:

:unamused: hhmmm , let me think about that one :unamused:

Oh, yeah , :open_mouth:

No licence , No driving job :unamused:

How strange :laughing: :laughing:

@smoggie,- You are within your rights to refuse to take a vehicle on the highway which is deemed to be not safe and not fit for the road.
If you feel that the defects are detrimental to your safety and that of other road users, and are/or of a nature that wouldnt pass a roadside/workshop inspection, then stand your ground -
It is your licence and safety and livelyhood thats at risk - not theirs (the office bod) .
They - (the office) , will always revert back to fallback mode, ie : cover their arris and leave the onus on the driver.
But then corporate manslaughter is not an easy one to wriggle out of either.

As another has said,
What sort of things are you calling defects ■■ - Are they detrimental to the operation of the vehicle safely and legally ■■
Get used to it chap , it`s part and parcel of the industry.

ShropsBri:

Yeah they try and say you have already had 20minz … And I wrote defect down about driver door not opening from the inside had to put window down and open from outside and then the window was naked wouldn’t go down so I had to keep climbing over passenger side and getting in through the drivers side … Only recently had a accident and if it tipped over I wouldn’t of been able to get out other then smash the windows

what happened to drivers fixing things?
or am i living in another age?

limeyphil:
what happened to drivers fixing things?
or am i living in another age?

Different era bud , :wink:
not many left who do or are capable or willing, and to be fair, its not always easily possible. ..... I think the term "Qualified or competent person ..." is whats used these days . :unamused:

Clearly not thinking of the learning children .

Well they can’t argue with how much time you’ve had can they…It’s in black and white on the tacho.
Re the door…If it was me,I would take it,it’s a pain in the arse having to climb over the passenger seat but it wouldn’t be for ever would it?
Or will they never fix it?
But thats just me and I’m one for fixing things myself too,to get the job done or to get it home.

It’s probably only the rod off the door handle chap.

Smoggie89:

ShropsBri:

was naked wouldn’t go down

sounds like the wife lol :laughing:

and if they do sack you, give VOSA a call. I’m sure they wouldnt mind popping round.

trux:

scanny77:

:unamused: hhmmm , let me think about that one :unamused:

Oh, yeah , :open_mouth:

No licence , No driving job :unamused:

my point exactly but i didnt think spelling it out would be necessary :wink:

Smoggie89:
if it tipped over I wouldn’t of been able to get out other then smash the windows

IF you tip over, the windows usually break anyway.

transport managers are under pressure from above and below, its a crap job and i honestly cant understand why anyone would do it, they havent got the time to worry about you and your breaks, even though its their job, they just want to know the job is being done thats all they care about, so get used to it, most of them are like that.

Just tell the muppets what they want to hear then carry on as normal

redboxer850:

Smoggie89:
if it tipped over I wouldn’t of been able to get out other then smash the windows

IF you tip over, the windows usually break anyway.

What about if there’s an electrical fire in the fuse box?? (usually on passenger side)

Get it fixed, it’s not suitable for being on the road IMHO. Odd day whilst it’s being booked in for a quiet period ie after hours or weekend, but that’d be it.
Don’t be a nob and say I’m not driving it, but put a defect in and make it clear that it NEEDS to be fixed.

As for your breaks, they’re as much your responsibility as theirs, so make sure you take them as the fine will hit you and I don’t think VOSA would take ‘my boss said so’ as an excuse.

As others have said, if worst comes to worst, take your break out of site