Advice plz Speeding M6 j5-j6 through variable speed limit?

I’ve never been done for anything in 24 years of artic driving but just had notice of prosecution for doing 54 in a 40 (variable speed limit). Been going through this section daily ever since it’s been a “smart” section of motorway and let the cruise control drag me through hundreds of times without issue so why now? I must’ve gone over what the sign said numerous times.

Is this a new thing?

Also as this is all new to me it mentions that I “may” be considered for a speed awareness course with no points or fine if I fess up and send the form back pronto.
How can I be sure they’ll offer this? There’s no phone number to contact them.

My last question is is it worth trying to get off on a technicality as they’ve stated that quote: “they have photographic evidence of a white Volvo (correct registration)” when in fact the truck is predominantly blue and yellow.

Any advice welcome thanks.

Be offered speed awareness course if you haven’t been on one in past 3 years.
Although will cost you £99 plus day of work.
As I got caught speeding doing 35 In a 30.

Your get form back then a list of websites where you can book a course but I’d say 90% are on a week day not many on a weekend .
Plus if it’s a smart motorway you got caught on the paperwork I got said something about a motowary course.
Mine was on woodhead pass.
Although 54 in 40. Is excessive so not fully sure what it would involve

evocraig:
I’ve never been done for anything in 24 years of artic driving but just had notice of prosecution for doing 54 in a 40 (variable speed limit). Been going through this section daily ever since it’s been a “smart” section of motorway and let the cruise control drag me through hundreds of times without issue so why now? I must’ve gone over what the sign said numerous times.

Is this a new thing?

Also as this is all new to me it mentions that I “may” be considered for a speed awareness course with no points or fine if I fess up and send the form back pronto.

My last question is is it worth trying to get off on a technicality as they’ve stated that quote: “they have photographic evidence of a white Volvo (correct registration)” when in fact the truck is predominantly blue and yellow.

Any advice welcome thanks.

Am I reading what you have posted right ? You are actually admitting to not giving a §hit to the limit. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Unless you can afford Nick Freeman (ask William Stobart for his number) either do the course and learn something (in fact they quite good unless you got your head up your own arse and just think you gods gift to driving) or pay the fine and put it down to experience.

Most forces use or used to use 10% +9mph for the speed awareness course.

So at 54mph in a 40mph limit I think it’d be unlikely you will be offered the speed awareness course.

I know one of our lads got done for 52mph in a 40mph limit on the M6 and he did get a speed awareness course offer and took it.

Hopefully you may still get one offered. But you are 1mph over what they normally offer the course at.

I’m fairly sure when I did one thr letter stated a threshold of what speed would be considered for a SAC but could be wrong as it was quite a while ago, this was in my own car though.

Bloody Nora, i read it at first as you got nicked for 54 in a 50, bit harsh that.

WTF, you were averaging 54 in a 40 :open_mouth: , and wonder why the cameras finally spotted you?
Hope it isn’t the first of several notices of intended from the same section but on later days.

As for the colour assuming it’s white blue and yellow then no as it’s probably registered as white on the v5 docs.

In fact not that it’s totally relevant here. I got caught by a mobile camera van parked in between vehicles in a 30mph that then turns into a 40mph limit. Going downhill clocked at 36mph and 40mph coming back up the hill.

God knows how I missed the van but I did, guess it just looked like an average van with chevrons on the back. I’m usually very good at spotting them.

The letter had 2 speeds recorded etc. I sent it back with a letter explaining I had never been on a SAC and felt it would be unfair to be prosecuted for 2 speeds on the same road by the same camera. And that a SAC may be of benefit and asked they disregard the lower speed and prosecute only the higher speed so I could be offered a SAC.

They wrote back saying the lower speed would afve no further action but a SAC was offered for the 40mph offence.

So maybe just maybe they do listen or maybe that’s all that would have happen even without the letter. But it doesn’t hurt to try.

Juddian:
Bloody Nora, i read it at first as you got nicked for 54 in a 50, bit harsh that.

WTF, you were averaging 54 in a 40 :open_mouth: , and wonder why the cameras finally spotted you?
Hope it is the first of several notices of intended from the same section but on later days.

^^^^
With you here Juddian. Take the p ( going by what he’s posted ) take the punishment. NO respect :angry: :angry:

btw fixed a bit of your post

Im sure idrive will be along to tell you what’s professional and what’s not

There is no excuses for what you did.
But I’m up down there most days. And for the past few weeks. I have noticed the cameras flashing a lot more than usual.
Maybe they turned them back on because of idiots speeding causing accidents

evocraig:

Is this a new thing?

No, you have obviously been driving like a ■■■■ and your luck has run out, HTH.

You ignore the speed limit signs and wonder why you are getting prossecuted? Are you one of the mongs that also ignore the red x when shown?

Why tf were you doing 54 in a 40?..and admit to do8ng it routinely :open_mouth: .
If it was orange flash/advisory that’s bad enough, but a COMPULSORY :bulb: 40 on a m.way is sure as hell there to protect somebody, either a breakdown stranded vehicle or the like, or the poor sod at the end of a stationary queue that you run the risk of ramming up his arse with 44tonne force.
A newbie would be one thing, but Jeeesus mate you say you’re on your 24th year…I mean, come on.
Are you succumbing to pressure from some ■■■■ in an office on the phone or what. :unamused:
I’m the last bloke to come over all ‘‘holier than thou’’ but ffs!
Just ■■■■ it up bud and thank Christ you didn’t drive over the top of some poor ■■■■.
You ask for ‘‘advice plz’’…here it is, don’t drive like a ■■■■ on the limiter in a restricted speed zone.

With a name like evo**** I’m 90% sure he’ll drive like a ■■■■…

mardybum:
With a name like evo**** I’m 90% sure he’ll drive like a ■■■■…

:laughing:

You want advice? Let’s ponder on that thought for amount, you have been sent a letter for doing 54 in a 40 and you go onto a public forum and admit that you have done the same thing on numerous occasions and you think we should feel sorry for you.
Well mate, I don’t think anyone has got 1 ounce of sympathy for you.
Your probably 1 of there idiots that go hare racing along these sections in the middle lane thinking your the king of the road and as you pass everyone else, you have the thought of ‘look at these idiots sticking to the speed limits, I won’t get done for speeding because the cameras don’t work’ hahahahaha as you go about your day.
I bet your also 1 of these that go down the lanes that have got a red X on aswell.
All I can say is, it serves you right for thinking your bigger and better than the rest. But all in all your just a minion.
See you in the left hand lane from now on with the professional drivers that want to keep their licence as it’s their livelyhood.

Sent using smoke signals

You got caught way over the limit. Take it on the chin. Pay your fine, get your points and think yourself very lucky you have never been caught before.
Last but not least try sticking to the limit and you won’t get caught again, you will not lose any significant time and you will be one step closer to a good professional driver. :wink:

evocraig:

The reason they can’t tell you if a SAC will be offered is that they can’t make that decision (SAC, Fixed Penalty or Prosecution) until they have checked your licence for endorsements and checked your details against the SAC database to see if you’re eligible. They can’t do any of this until you have confirmed you were driving.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

simcor:
In fact not that it’s totally relevant here. I got caught by a mobile camera van parked in between vehicles in a 30mph that then turns into a 40mph limit. Going downhill clocked at 36mph and 40mph coming back up the hill.

God knows how I missed the van but I did, guess it just looked like an average van with chevrons on the back. I’m usually very good at spotting them.

The letter had 2 speeds recorded etc. I sent it back with a letter explaining I had never been on a SAC and felt it would be unfair to be prosecuted for 2 speeds on the same road by the same camera. And that a SAC may be of benefit and asked they disregard the lower speed and prosecute only the higher speed so I could be offered a SAC.

They wrote back saying the lower speed would afve no further action but a SAC was offered for the 40mph offence.

So maybe just maybe they do listen or maybe that’s all that would have happen even without the letter. But it doesn’t hurt to try.

I think, and maybe there is somebody here that has first hand knowledge :slight_smile: but if you get caught for 2 speeding offences on the same either day / journey / place (I am not sure) then you can be fined and get points for all of them but only one offence, say 3 points for speeding, counts for topping up. As I said I do not know if that is correct but I am sure I read it somewhere.