Advice over a job in italy

in the jobs section ther is a euro driver job avalable. I hav just passed my class 2 and phoned ‘pattrick’ an irish feller looking for drivers to go to italy. Ther seams v littal avalable info. I know i canot be chouesey and need expereance but to just leav for europ on nuthing moor than a convasation seems mad. Dus anyone hav any advice or expereance on this that could be of help. Wots the wurst that can happen.

Leon:
in the jobs section ther is a euro driver job avalable. I hav just passed my class 2 and phoned ‘pattrick’ an irish feller looking for drivers to go to italy. Ther seams v littal avalable info. I know i canot be chouesey and need expereance but to just leav for europ on nuthing moor than a convasation seems mad. Dus anyone hav any advice or expereance on this that could be of help. Wots the wurst that can happen.

welcome to the fun that is the haulage world, as for anything about euro work ive never done it so dont have anything on that front, but if i was you id take the job, get the experience then move on. i struggle to get experience and i have had my licence 18 months

Leon if you’ve just passed your Class 2 then this is not the right move for you.

I’m pretty sure the work out in Italy will be tipper work (but I may be wrong) which is not particularly hard to do if you have plenty of experience of the same kind of work, or similar, back home.

I know you want experience and there isn’t much work here in Britain right now, but you should try doing the same kind of work here - or any kind of driving - and learn how to negotiate the UK roads before you attempt any kind of european work, especially off the back of a telephone conversation.

Best of luck anyway.

thanks jents. As expected i hav two vere difarant replies. It is tipper driving. Why is it so diferant driving in italy? Ther is the driving on other side of the road bit hawever i hav dun plentey of european miles making regular trips to the nurburgring. Wots it like to work in italy? Are ther lots of brits driving ther? Is it a good working life fliting between two countries?

“countries” spelling corrected to avoid the autocensor :wink: …Denis F

ow and wots the norm over contracts, tax, banking. Practical advice.

the driving over in italy is alot different they are mental like most european countries. But it could be a laugh if your running with others. Remember your pay will be in euro’s so you’d need to convert it to pounds to no wot ur going to earn.

I say “go for it”.

did i read somewere that this is aroud Milan? can be a crazy place to drive or fun if you look at it like me defenatly no worse than driving around parts of birmingham or london once you get used to the italian kamakaze style of driving

my advice is if you fancy it then give it a go driving in the uk is a thankless job at least in Italy the foods good weathers good and with the euro at the moment the money will be good

if you dont like it there plenty of planes heading back to britan

nevr worked in italy but when i was working in NL i had to have local bank account and tax no neither was any problem you just will need an address in italy cant really help on this front anymore

thanks jents. Sounds like its going to be an adventur.

Leon:
Practical advice.

An English language course perhaps?

Tramper:

Leon:
Practical advice.

An English language course perhaps?

Read the guys signature then try and be funny will you

scottie was thinking along those lines myself actually!

Leon, has he said he’ll take on a newly passed class 2 driver, coz those trucks are a majorly different beat to what we’ve been trained on, I rang a couple of guys over in the uk who were advertising tipper work and they said if you havent got experience of them, then they wouldnt think about taking me on because they are a different animal entirely. all you’ve got to loose is you’re on mainland europe if it goes ■■■■ up and the guy tries to pull a fast one on you, but that’d be a live and learn thing and a easyjet flight from there back home aint gonna break the bank.

h he sead i culd hav the job even though i had just past. Dont stress over the jabs at my speling. Sumone dus it on eney forum i youse. Going to speek to him agane today. Last time we spoke i sead that id love the job but must atleast run the idear past the wife. He sead i culd hav the job just let him know today.

Must say it sounds strange him offering you a job over the phone without wanting to see you/expect you to take the job without meeting him etc might just be me being over careful good luck if you take it mate

well just spoke to him agane and. IM OF TO ITALY. A tad dawnting but also verey exiting.

Good luck with it mate when are you leaving?let us know how you get on with it

Cracking news Leon. Best of luck to you bud. As has been said before you’ll never know unless you give it a shot.

Word of warning though, when Italian ladies reach the age of 30 they grow a 'tache, just like mamma. :laughing:

If it’s all above board I dont see a problem with it, however if the guy decides he wants you to bring a truck back to the UK for whatever reason. Get on the first plane home.

Tiger.

Beware of getting an Italian post office account and some Italian banks can be dodgy. A British work colleague lost all her wages from the Italian post office and had to go to the Italian courts to get it back. And we all know about the lengthy, dodgey “Italian red tape”
In 2005 I spent a year working in Italy and I got a Citibank Access Account linked to a Euro Account from Citi bank (free phone 24/7 and web) in UK using my UK address. They will give you an account for Euros and one for Stirling then all you need to do is transfer your euros to your Stirling account when ever and as often as you need to (no charge and instant) (transfer your money when the exchange rate is good). You get Stirling chequebook and one debit card and when you leave the UK all you do is phone them up (free phone) and tell then to move the card to Euros and then when you come back again get it changed to Stirling. Card can be used all over ATMs and cash back in Europe and UK with no charges at most ATMs. Down side you may have to start the account with 2 grand or say you have over 2 grand coming in each month (check that thou) but they don’t care once the account is set up if your account goes back down to 1 pound after that. You even get a tiny tiny inertest rate on the Stirling account. It was the cheapest way of banking with Euros and worked well for me. It means that all your money is held in the UK
Have a look at their web site.
HSB allso do a euro account but not sure on the charges

I’m Dyslexic 2. For me your post was the easiest to read, if you want to directly contact me for more info please do so

im of to lundon on thursday and driving dawn fri/sat. Il keep you all updated, its t least i can do for al t advice. Hopfuley il get the chance to open an ac befor i go. Unfortunatley on that frunt im of for one last surf tomorow. Ther is always a weston union but ther prisey.