Advice on setting up on own as Owner driver

Hi

I currently work for an Employer in the West Midlands bulk of our work is steel which has suffered quite badly in the current economic climate.
I have been thinking seriously about setting up as an owner driver and working for myself again.
Could any of the members give me advice and even pointers of reputable companies that use owner driver services and are not cowboy outfits that screw you out of your earnings etc.
Also advice required on the best way of pricing jobs IE per mile or per job and some average figures again would be appreciated.
Im not out to make 1000’s but purely have a semi decent standard of living and be able to do something that will make my family proud of my achievements.

Any advice received would be greatly appreciated.

honest advice, think long and hard before you make a firm decision, make sure you have the backing of your wife/partner/family.

there are not that many companies taking on subbies at the moment, most who are, they give you a price for the job.

hi i have on lease set up on own got atruck from mercedes taxed and full breakdown for two years got a nice truck to hired a curtain sider
from a company good rates its not easey but its working slowley o licence was the hardeast to get good luck email me for any help dave486@fsmail.net

Good website for owner drivers at ownerdriver.org

Hi, like others have said…think long and hard…then think again. It’s very important that you have your family onside. If you sub-contract for a large company, they tend to pay a job rate. By doing your sums carefully, you can work out if it’s worth your while. The container industry is definately picking up and whilst they’re not advertising for subbies, give some of the big players a call…you may be suprised.
Whatever truck you go for, my advice would be to get one from a main dealer as the aftercare will be better, and let them do the R+M. Good luck

Scaniafan:
Hi

Could any of the members give me advice and even pointers of reputable companies that use owner driver services and are not cowboy outfits that screw you out of your earnings etc.

with the current situation, don’t be surprised if Owner Drivers keep that information to themselves :wink:

Encouraging new O/Ds to come along and maybe do the work “a little cheaper” would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas :smiley:

try tnt traction only.

groan, i hope we dont see a daf or a skelly been offerd for sale in this post!!!

globby 480:
groan, i hope we dont see a daf or a skelly been offerd for sale in this post!!!

why would there be?

you know anyone selling a DAF or skelly trailer?

i don’t :unamused:

how about going on your own but staying in the type of work you are in at the moment, its definately picking up