Advice on becoming a Tang

I have read some posts on TNUK mentioning Tangs and quite fancy the trying it out as I like to “keep her lit”, so was wondering what the criteria is.
Sick of all the H&S bullshine and namby-pamby culture that seems to be prevalent in our industry.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Some tipper tangs…
Chrome “Super” badge.
Silly hand wave when passing other tangs.
Flags of countries you’ve never driven a truck to draped across the windscreen.
Frilly pelmet in the windscreen.
Dream catcher in the windscreen.
Air duster gun hose dangling in front of your face.
Truck interior covered in that leather stuff found in Indiam restaurants.
Boots on the step.
Must take a photo of your footwell at least twice a week and post on facebook, slating drivers who don’t take their boots off.

30 mins and no DD yet ? To fill a little time, check shirt, jeans held up with a leather belt and a big rig buckle, trader boots, bomber jacket with a screaming chicken on the back.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

So is the whole Tang thing a myth or are they part of a bygone era?

The ■■■■■ a tang

Oh believe me there real :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not something you “have a dabble at” really. Running a bit quicker than 90 kliks or five minute’s over a four’n’alf wouldn’t count. If you can’t get off the ferry at Cherbourg and hit a border (not Belgium) then you won’t get past your test drive. It’s how far over you get that counts and how quickly. No point in getting to Miguel’s up on top of the CN I if they’ve shut!

hello chaps.
eyes down,and here we go.
1 im not a tang…im fae glesgae,i just live here as its like scotland in 1970.
i just like doing trips for some of the tang subbies.

search on here for tangs and theres a myriad of posts.

if you want a job…lift the phone,or come off the boat and knock on the doors…
you will know your in a right crowd when the reply to your application is…who have you worked for,followed by.can you go out on the boat tonight…usually followed by,how long can you stay away for.if your reply is 3 weeks or less,then you will politely be told that they are not looking for shunters at the present time.
heres some crash course links to help you blend in a tad.
bear in mind the morgans man doing the filming will have been sitting around 60 when being overtaken…

youtube.com/watch?v=8HqayP0aN2A&t=17s

youtube.com/watch?v=zuY3uy3YCJs&t=2s

youtube.com/watch?v=NbZCjHvLXog

youtube.com/watch?v=3WOYVau6GGM

youtube.com/watch?v=4mm_CVLidGQ&t=1s

youtube.com/watch?v=XAEZU50976E&t=20s

youtube.com/watch?v=zuY3uy3YCJs&t=1s

and,the “silly hand wave” directed at other boat traffic is a secret tang code for…are you getting it handy,which also saves you hanging out of the window screaming it as you pass head to head.
if you know exactly who hitler is talking about,and can be fluent in what the cartoons are talking about,then your half way there.
it would be a distinct advantage for any job application to have done a season or to “on the grass” and know when to refer to stroke city as derry or londonderry.
essential kit is deemed to be,super hamptons,ben sherman shirt,levi boot cut jeans,gold belcher,scania jacket( even if your driving a daf)ad enough lynx to instantly blind a vosa man or traffic cop within seconds upon opening your door.
just get a start with any of the mushroom brigade and you will be fluent with all tachograph laws and more importantly how to fiddle them with magnets and wires,and it goes without saying you will be accustomed to driving well in excess of 90 klicks if you want to tag along with the pack coming off the boats.within a month,if your not fluent,then you wont need to worry as you will have been banned and driving will be the least of your worries as you will be spending all your giros or shelf stacking wages on fines…though most will pay all fines except from speeding which you wil be doing constantly.this ensures them of your continnued employment as you will be working for them to pay your fines for you.
welcome to the wonderfull world of tangs who dont give a toss. :smiley:

dieseldog999:

Don’t forget running 24hrs a day for 7 days a week and getting paid £50 cash in hand a day for doing it.

Conor:

dieseldog999:

Don’t forget running 24hrs a day for 7 days a week and getting paid £50 cash in hand a day for doing it.

Yeah, but it’s a “lifestyle choice”!

[emoji2]

Cheers Dieseldog [emoji23] sounds good (apart from the money) so will have a serious think about it.

Roverman:
Cheers Dieseldog [emoji23] sounds good (apart from the money) so will have a serious think about it.

Don’t fret on the money- you don’t have to take it, you can get the boss to put some more markers and spot lights on the truck instead.

WTF is a tang

truckman020:
WTF is a tang

follow the links on the previous post my man and be educated.
heres how the jealous plobbers describe them.
youtube.com/watch?v=QPiCRpbuKIs

and tangs generally make excellent wages if you like the work…despite the jealous ones commenting otherwise.
good wages,good plant,not as boring as rdc plobbing at 52.each to their own,with the added bonus of enlarging your group of acquaintences as within a few months you will be on 1st name terms with any vosa working on the ferry roads as well as the traffic plod on the a75…its all gravy :smiley:

In the oldern days, the tangs would all meet in Penrith for the statutory burgers and coke with a milk chaser, after hoonig, down the 75. then after that a quick race down to runges, then back to culina in mk, classed as a day run. Couple of packs of pro-plus and red bull chasers just to help ya’s on Mr.

Stickin out all the way.

dieseldog999:
and tangs generally make excellent wages if you like the work…

Really they don’t. You seem to think they do but for the hours they put in they’re crap, very crap to the point my 21 year old lad 6 months into driving is on more per hour. The take home only seems good because you’re doing more than the max legal hours and nighting out all week. Break it down into what you get paid an hour and I doubt its much above minimum wage, if it makes it that high.

I’d rather have a “tang” style job than be one of the jobsworth tosses that seem to be too common now in our industry,
Normally they do everything to the book and can be noticed by there blue tooth ear piece permanently stuck to there ear…
Give me a big rig and a long run any day,and from my experience “tang” money can be quite reasonable

If you’re only ever driving or sleeping, you’ll never have enough time to spend any money anyways.
All it needs is a few punts for the craick with the lads.

“You’ll love it. It’s a way of life”. FZ.

Conor:

dieseldog999:
and tangs generally make excellent wages if you like the work…

Really they don’t. You seem to think they do but for the hours they put in they’re crap, very crap to the point my 21 year old lad 6 months into driving is on more per hour. The take home only seems good because you’re doing more than the max legal hours and nighting out all week. Break it down into what you get paid an hour and I doubt its much above minimum wage, if it makes it that high.

exactly where would your first hand experience of these facts come from.?
have you tried the work and didnt like it?
or were you talking to that guy that dozy was talking to about banning coolboxes in cabs as a fire risk?if theres 2 dudes i would imagine that would be completely unsuitable with attitude and hands on adaptability for working over here then it would be the two trucknet armchair viking/oracle/jesus/driving gods as yourself and uk tramp…your in a different world bud.being completely up your own respective jacksies over here would entail your first trip would be your last( whether you wanted it or not),and possibly a good spanking when you spoke the wrong way to the wrong donkey.
i can only surmise on the plobber job your kids doing,though i can have a better guess at what yours was having had the misfortune to try agency work for tosco and the like a few years ago.
i was embarrassed to do the work that way and couldnt demeen myself to work like that again.theres good fun with the tangs and theres plenty of cameradrie still abounding in bucketfulls,with the added bonus of fiddling everything if it suits you.if you like tramping in general then your not exactly working lying in your kip,lying around on the ferry with meals paid for,or hanging around loading or tipping,the only work is possibly helping to load or tip,then breezing down the road taking the elbows off everybody else apart from a few random fellow hooligans.mostly your days work is just killing the day till you have to stop for a while.work the clock to suit yourself and do what needs done.not everyone wants to run legal and regimental,not everyone wants to stop when the clock says stop.you can make the job interesting and a bit of a challange and have a bit of craic at the same time.50 might be thrifty,but the tons more fun.
however,once again,…each to their own. :slight_smile:

Ram a spike through your brain an drag your knuckles on the floor. And aslong as you have a shiney scania, a few £’s an hour pay your there.