Advice needed on area and job ad

Hi everyone,

New on here I’ve come on here for a bit of advice.I’ve seen a job ad on an ex service mans/womans :smiley: website and I’m in the early stages of application.I will post the job ad below but i will remove the company name for now but I will post it at a later date or if i get to know any of you then i will give you more info.

About me ex British Army currently working for Stobarts(Appleton) on a casual basis which suits me be cause I can pick my work days.Been driving class1 since 2004 past my test in 1997 in the army.My experience is mainly General Haulage.The job is hauling sand and silica I assume using tippers so I don’t really have any experience of that so thats why I’m on here.The other reason is the area I wanted some advice on what the area is like I know its remote?I’m a single guy with no family to take and i was just thinking of going over to Canada to test the water and see if I like the country and if the quality of life is better?If it is and everything goes well then we will see what happens then.

There are some terms on the add that I dont really understand so was hoping you guys could shed some light?

it mentions “class 1 license with air brake endorsement” obviously i can use air brakes do you need further training?

It also mentions about “clean police clearance” I did do some stuff when I was younger that I’m not proud of but haven’t we all?I got convicted for DD but it didn’t stop getting a USA visa would it cause me problems in Canada?

“super b train configuration” can anyone enlighten me?

Anyway thanks in advance for your help ad is below.It does seem a very good offer but is it too good to be true?
Maybe some will recognize the add

CLASS ONE TRUCK DRIVERS
BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA
Company Works Oilfield Services Inc.
Dawson Creek and Fort Nelson

Company Works is a diversified and growing full-service contractor, and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. With over 25 years of operating experience in Western Canada, core business areas include on and off highway hauling, oilfield services, mine contracting and site services. Company handles all aspects of frac sand supply from sourcing and transportation to storage and delivery.
We are currently recruiting Class 1 Truck Drivers internationally to complement our expanding team of transportation and logistics professionals based in Northeastern British Columbia. These positions entail on and off road hauling of silica sand and aggregates to well sites and other locations in Northern British Columbia and Alberta. Hours will vary depending on operational needs, and may entail 8/8 shifts and sharing of equipment. Some loading and unloading duties are required at the loading facilities.
Employer will assist in finding reasonable accommodation, and will assist with the cost of training on arrival. Cost of training for your class 1 license and safety certificates will be forgiven at the end of the contract. Return airfare will be paid for successful candidates. Candidates will be expected to obtain the appropriate Canadian license as soon as possible on arrival.
In order to be considered for these positions you should have the following qualifications and experience along with the appropriate licensing. British Columbia has reciprocal licence agreements with Australia, Great Britain, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

· Reciprocal license equivalent to Class 1 with air brakes endorsement
· Clean drivers abstract
· Clean police clearance
· Medical Fitness Certificate from a recognized authority
· H2S and Standard First Aid certificates

2 to 5 years experience is desirable:

· Super “B” (B-Train configuration)
· Chaining up for off-road hauling
· Triple Axle
· Top loading trailers, with bottom dumps an asset

Working in Canada, you will be eligible for provincial health insurance, workers compensation programs, as well as a great working environment in one of the most scenic parts of the country. company Works offers a comprehensive benefit package with these positions and an annual gross income ranging from $60,320. CAD

If dd is over five years old it’s ok
You have to re take your class1 in Canada which involves an exam on working of air brakes and on test you go through a procedure to show the examiner a knowledge of the system

That’s what a B-train looks like. Two 30 foot trailers on 8 axles. That area is an expensive place to live; you really need to be pulling in $90,000 a year up there.

Yeah my DD was in 1997 so that should be ok cheers KR79

Chris Arbon WOW that is a massive machine.I take it you’re restricted to where you can take it?

You really need to be earning 90k for a single guy with no family? Thats approx £56k thats a big wage where i come from.It sounds as if the company may help with accommodation but can’t take that for granted.Also in the email it says that its “short haul work and you will not be staying camps”.From what Ive read on other sites you need to be employed as a long haul driver,is that right? The email definitley says short haul.As a short haul do you stay at home most nights?

. LMO’S are normally for long haul but don’t quote me on that. BC is an expensive province to live in compared to other areas of Canada. Air brake endorsement is a day long course you have to take in order to drive anything with air brakes from a RV to a school bus or truck. That’s my old super b on the hoppers it mentioned top loading and bottom dumps so probs something like that. It’s also says bout an oilfield company I would be shocked that they can’t fill the jobs with local drivers as norm great pay on the patch

I do like that truck taffy bit of a mans truck I reckon…

Yeah that is a Mans truck I’ve only been used to Driving Lady trucks literally as they’ve all got lady names.That would be something different for me and a challenge to maneuver,I hope there is not much reversing required :smiley:

So what is the minimum salary that I could get by on do you reckon in BC??

( I would like some beer tokens after I paid my bills)

.If I do come over hopefully I will rent my place in the UK so that should cover my mortgage back here.

As a short haul driver how much time do you get off.what is a typical working week?

Thanks for your wisdom people

Taffy’s truck looks like a garden shed on wheels LOL
Gimme a Scania any day :wink:

If you don’t mind hard work , and I mean HARD work then go for it . Working off road supplying frac sand can mean long hours and dire conditions but for a single guy earning decent coin , gotta be well into 6 figures doing that ,must be worth a shot .Only one way to find out ?

Flat, the advert says job pays $60k, really crappy money for the job.
That’s why they can’t get Canadian’s to do the job.
OP, by the look of it, is 8 days on, 8 off, you’ll be on 24hr call for those 8 days on.
Also, you’ll only be here on TWP, no mention of PR.

Ok thanks again whether its good or bad it all helps I think

Flat to the mat when you say dire conditions could you expand on that? Like I say my experience is in General haulage. Is it a really dirty job? Im not scared of hard physical work but like everyone I have my limits.

Neil g Yeah you have a point you have to consider why they are having to import drivers.I suppose you have to start somewhere though and it would be unlikey that you would land a dream job being a foreigner. Unless the price of living is ridiculously high then I would be happy to start on 60k thats around £37k.You would struggle to find a job paying that in the UK

I work with a bloke now that was on that sort of job but in Alberta & I asked him yesterday about it.
He said the worst thing about the job was the constant chaining & unchaining in minus gazillion temps.
With his company they had to chain every wheel off road and if he had to cross a highway whilst off road every chain had to come off & put on again after crossing, it was monotonous & disheartening.
The terrain was very bad off road to these wells & trying to work in those temps when you got there was almost impossible.
That’s why this sort of job pays $80/90k or more.
He lasted 1 season & said never again.

As Neil says the chaining and hanging around are the worst , hauling off road is bloody hard work and long hours . My company asked if I’d do a stint on our Well Service side for $730 per day in a tri drive , err no thanks .

Ok I’m starting to get the picture now :slight_smile:basically you’re telling me its a sh*t job thanks I appreciate your honesty.I can imagine that it would be quite soul destroying I’ve done very little chaining in the military and one thing I do remember is when your hands are that cold then they are pretty useless.Im not a fan of hanging about either I’d much rather be busy.Ok then maybe this isn’t the right job but I’ve already sent my application off.If he gets back to me I will be asking some serious questions.Shame cause I was interested I wonder if I could hack one season?It would be experience anyhow

Thanks again peeps

There’s no point in comparing Canadian or US dollars with UK wages :exclamation: I get that a lot when I am taking to friends “How much is that in pounds ?”
It doesn’t matter because we don’t live in the UK, the cost of living etc is completely different so saying $60k is like 37k stirling means nothing, when you live here you won’t be paying UK prices.
Last year I made just under 50k ($75k) in pounds but it is still poor for the USA.

andyb10, you are not restricted to this one job, there are plenty of jobs going out here, you just have to take your time and sift through them and pick one that suits you.
Do you want to stay here, or just come temporarily ?
You have to look at the different provinces, upsides & downsides of each & the work in each.
If you want to stay & get PR some provinces are a lot easier than others.
Even the crappier companies pay more than what was quoted in that advert of yours.
I was with H&R for over 5yrs (easy work) and in my worst year I made $63K & that included 2 1/2 months holiday, not that I am recommending them in any way.
Whatever you want to know, somebody on here will be able to help you.

Don’t let us put you off if you really want to do it then give it a try , just be prepared . They are taking the urine with the money but once here you’ll find other options that pay the going rate . If you’re prepared , relatively fit , and with no dependents what do you have to loose ?

One other thing to consider, Ft Nelson and Dawson Creek are proper ■■■■ holes :cry:

As has been said, the $ they quote is crap, you could earn more on normal highway work and you will have none of the aggro.

If you want a steady shift pattern with clean work, do a google search on Loblaws, they’re a major supermarket chain and have been bringing drivers over.

Although I was playing CB ■■■■■■ the other night, there were three Brit Loblaw drivers running in convoy and on CH19, they bitched and moaned all the way from Regina to Winnipeg :open_mouth:

I don’t think the job itself is bad, but if those three were anything to go by, the place is full of ■■■■■■ :unamused:

Pat Hasler:
There’s no point in comparing Canadian or US dollars with UK wages :exclamation: I get that a lot when I am taking to friends “How much is that in pounds ?”
It doesn’t matter because we don’t live in the UK, the cost of living etc is completely different so saying $60k is like 37k stirling means nothing, when you live here you won’t be paying UK prices.
Last year I made just under 50k ($75k) in pounds but it is still poor for the USA.

Ok Pat hasler I was just under the impression was cheaper over there on a par with USA (where I have family)

I take what you said on board so what is the min salary that I could get by on ie pay my bills there and in UK(not many in UK)and have a bit left to enjoy after work.If you ever get off the road?? :slight_smile:

neilg14:
andyb10, you are not restricted to this one job, there are plenty of jobs going out here, you just have to take your time and sift through them and pick one that suits you.
Do you want to stay here, or just come temporarily ?
You have to look at the different provinces, upsides & downsides of each & the work in each.
If you want to stay & get PR some provinces are a lot easier than others.
Even the crappier companies pay more than what was quoted in that advert of yours.
I was with H&R for over 5yrs (easy work) and in my worst year I made $63K & that included 2 1/2 months holiday, not that I am recommending them in any way.
Whatever you want to know, somebody on here will be able to help you.

Hi Neilg

Yeah I know I’m not tied to that job and to recruiter has not got back to me anyway as yet because I asked a sh*t load of questions maybe I scared him off :slight_smile:

At first I think temporarily to test the water see if I like the country and the way of life?I’m quite the adventurous type and i like to travel anyway.

I’m not looking for megabucks but don’t really want to be doing a job where i have to work my fingers to the bone and get exploited.I would like time to do other stuff.

I will google H&R if you give me some more info?/

cheers