Advice needed on area and job ad

flat to the mat:
Don’t let us put you off if you really want to do it then give it a try , just be prepared . They are taking the urine with the money but once here you’ll find other options that pay the going rate . If you’re prepared , relatively fit , and with no dependents what do you have to loose ?

Flat to the mat .Hes not replied to me as yet.It does say ranging from 60 k?? I am quite fit with no dependants.I have started a part time Job with Fire service and I wanted to see where that may lead?i would have to give that up obviously.Other than that I have nothing to lose.It sounds as though it might be one of them jobs that takes it out of you and i would’nt have the energy for much else.So maybe look for some thing a little easier but see what happens

newmercman:
One other thing to consider, Ft Nelson and Dawson Creek are proper [zb] holes :cry:

As has been said, the $ they quote is crap, you could earn more on normal highway work and you will have none of the aggro.

If you want a steady shift pattern with clean work, do a google search on Loblaws, they’re a major supermarket chain and have been bringing drivers over.

Although I was playing CB ■■■■■■ the other night, there were three Brit Loblaw drivers running in convoy and on CH19, they bitched and moaned all the way from Regina to Winnipeg :open_mouth:

I don’t think the job itself is bad, but if those three were anything to go by, the place is full of [zb] :unamused:

New merc man yeah maybe that is what I will do.This job was advertised on a ex service mans website and seemed to have the whole package ie training,accom,visa assistance,but on closer inspection it may not be as it seems.

ha ha most Drivers ■■■■■ and moan that i know of but they never do anything about it.You guys obviously did :slight_smile:

Anyway I’m off on a charity trek to Nepal Everest base camp tomorrow so will probably not be on here for a few weeks but when I get back I will do some searching.

thanks for the advice

andyb10, sorry, I would not recommend H&R, I was just comparing wages against your advert.
You really need to do plenty of research on companies and ask away on here.

Most of the frac -sand that goes to the well-heads is delivered by powder-tanker and blown out [pneumatic discharge].
On the cost of living issue; a single guy could probably get by on $50,000 a year in Manitoba. $65,000 is the average on long-haul flat deck work for a company like Searcy’s. I live in a house shared with several other single Brit drivers and it’s $350 a month all bills paid.

I should imagine that cooperation and support from the experienced guys who are already out there doing the job would be both an advantage and desirable but a foreigner arriving in the oil field and cutting the wage rate in half is hardly going to be popular is he?

Andy if you’re seriously thinking of coming over and dont mind AB give me a shout i work for a pretty good company and have a fairly decent standard of life

Hi Im back from Nepal well back for about 2 weeks now.Never made it to Everest base camp due to lots of snow and avalanches anyway what a place and experience!!Incidentally I met an Indian Driver on the plane over there who have been working in Canada but his English wasn’t too good.it seems they import quite a lot of workers of all professions from India!!

So this recruiter never got back to me anyway regarding the job vacancy.FYI the company was called La Prairie.Yeah I am still interested if anyone knows a company that is recruiting■■?

I know its been a while :slight_smile:

You could try Agritel in Beausejour, Manitoba. I saw they were advertising they had LMOs. It said they had runs to California.

@ChrisArbon

“a single guy could probably get by on $50,000 a year in Manitoba”

Really?
what’s the point of going to Canada then, if you can only “get by” on $50K a year?
In the UK that’s, what, about 33K pounds and that is considered pretty good wage over here.
Things must be pretty expensive in Canada then.
and that’s in Manitoba where Winnipeg is considered as having the cheapest property prices out of all Canadian cities.
How much do you need to earn to “get by” in Alberta then?

hkloss1:
@ChrisArbon

Really?
what’s the point of going to Canada then, if you can only “get by” on $50K a year?
In the UK that’s, what, about 33K pounds and that is considered pretty good wage over here.
and that’s in Manitoba where Winnipeg is considered as having the cheapest property prices out of all Canadian cities.

Let me explain.

I’m a single guy. I like to go out and drink, gamble and womanise. I always eat in restaurants unless someone else is cooking. I run two cars. I like go to faraway places for holidays. $50k a year would cover my standard of living. I could have more time off but I work harder than I need to and gross about $65k a year.

I think things are pretty expensive in Canada compared to the US. But as I spend 5 days a week in the US, I buy most of my stuff south of the border and can bring back what I need. Car insurance is the biggest expense I have that would be cheaper almost anywhere else. When I was younger, I always paid high premiums for insuring powerful cars; now I’m older it should be cheaper but in Manitoba you insure the car for any driver and I’m still paying a lot.

These figures are from my own experience and life-style; others will be different, both in Manitoba and Alberta. HTH.

Pat Hasler:
Taffy’s truck looks like a garden shed on wheels LOL
Gimme a Scania any day :wink:

Fine one to talk with that bucket you sit in old boy lol :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry for my delay in replying.Ive done 70 hours this week which is a lot for me anyway!

Chris Arbon Your lifestyle sounds great and probably just what I’m looking for to begin with anyway.So $50k is enough to get by on it sounds like.i guess as Ive said before that I’m just looking to try it out there for 6 months to a year I don’t know if this is possible to have a short contract like this or whether there’s a company that is interested in offering it?.I have no ties here accept for my mortgage and property which I should be able to rent out.I’m checking out Agritel’s website and i think i will drop them an email.Do I mention that I just want a short contract?

Cheers

hkloss1:
@ChrisArbon

Really?

As pointed out many times … It doesn’t matter what it is in pounds, if you live in Canada or the USA it’s what it is in Dollars FFS.
The guy is not going to be living in Britain so whatever the conversion rate is it has no bearing at all.

What Pat said , you earn dollars and you spend dollars , Sterling has no relevance at all . GO RIDERS !!!

andyb10:
Sorry for my delay in replying.Ive done 70 hours this week which is a lot for me anyway!

Chris Arbon Your lifestyle sounds great and probably just what I’m looking for to begin with anyway.So $50k is enough to get by on it sounds like.i guess as Ive said before that I’m just looking to try it out there for 6 months to a year I don’t know if this is possible to have a short contract like this or whether there’s a company that is interested in offering it?.I have no ties here accept for my mortgage and property which I should be able to rent out.I’m checking out Agritel’s website and i think i will drop them an email.Do I mention that I just want a short contract?

Cheers

Don’t mention short contract, just take what’s offered. Lmo will be for 1 or 2 years. Telephoning works better than e-mails in my experience.

For some companies; if a driver stays for six months, it’s considered a long time. 100% driver turn-over in a year is quite common. It is an expected thing where companies have large recruitment departments.

FTTM: didn’t those Riders do well?

Tnx Chris , I think Saskatchewan is still recovering :laughing: Great advert for the game and the Province , off to the victory parade tomorrow .

Forgive my ignorance but what is a LMO?

andyb10:

Labour Market Opinion. Its a document that a company applies for from the relevant government department that you use to obtain your TWP (Temporary Work Permit) on arrival in Canada. The LMO is supposed to prove that the company have tried all reasonable avenues to employ a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident before offering the job to a foreign new comer.

Once the company obtain the LMO, they will email/fax etc a copy to you, and when you arrive in Canada you will present this document, along with others such as a contract / offer of employment to the immigration officials and they will issue you with a work permit.

No LMO = No job. Until a couple of years ago, getting an LMO was a mere formality but things have tightened up a lot since and what used to take 24 hours in NB to obtain one, now often takes up to six weeks. Other provinces will vary.

Don’t mention short contract, just take what’s offered. Lmo will be for 1 or 2 years. Telephoning works better than e-mails in my experience.

For some companies; if a driver stays for six months, it’s considered a long time. 100% driver turn-over in a year is quite common. It is an expected thing where companies have large recruitment departments.

FTTM: didn’t those Riders do well?
[/quote]
Thats quite alarming that Drivers are only staying for 6 months or so.In my experience companies that have a high turn over of staff usually aren’t good companies to work for or am I missing something? ■■

robinhood_1984:

andyb10:

Labour Market Opinion. Its a document that a company applies for from the relevant government department that you use to obtain your TWP (Temporary Work Permit) on arrival in Canada. The LMO is supposed to prove that the company have tried all reasonable avenues to employ a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident before offering the job to a foreign new comer.

Once the company obtain the LMO, they will email/fax etc a copy to you, and when you arrive in Canada you will present this document, along with others such as a contract / offer of employment to the immigration officials and they will issue you with a work permit.

No LMO = No job. Until a couple of years ago, getting an LMO was a mere formality but things have tightened up a lot since and what used to take 24 hours in NB to obtain one, now often takes up to six weeks. Other provinces will vary.

Thanks for the info.Im getting an education on this forum. It all helps!