Advice for a euro virgin

I’ll soon be venturing through the tunnel and trying to drive on the wrong side. I think it’s northern France and Belgium. Can anyone think of anything I should know?

Mr B:
I’ll soon be venturing through the tunnel and trying to drive on the wrong side. I think it’s northern France and Belgium. Can anyone think of anything I should know?

Yes don’t drive on the wrong side!!

take plenty of food, and a cooker.
make sure you have the log book, mot, and insurance.
passport, and spare cmr’s. not all places print there own.

enjoy it, its quite simple tbh. vingette for belgium can be done online so you dont have to do it, and if your only going from the train to belgium you wont come across any french tolls. Also if your about on a sunday in france make sure you dont see the 5-0 though your on food so you should be ok but it still a pain if they stop you.

Are trucks banned on Sunday’s? We do frozen so maybe that’s exempt?

yea except perishables, so im sure youll be fine on a sunday…somebody will tell you better who knows better.

Mr B:
Are trucks banned on Sunday’s? We do frozen so maybe that’s exempt?

you will be exempt, but there are limits on empty running after you’re tipped.
i think it’s 150kms. but i’m not 100% sure.

Holland and Belgium are the same as the UK, as far as Sunday and Bank Holiday driving goes. In France you can drive up or down what is known as ‘The Corridor’, on Sunday and Holidays. The Corridor is the A16 from Belgium down to the tunnel and ferry ports.
The rest of France, Germany, Luxemburg, Italy and parts of Spain have a truck driving ban on those days. Each country has its own holiday bans and some countries have bans in some areas but not others, so you need to check the holiday Calendars to find out the dates of where and when.
There are exemptions which allow certain goods to be moved on these days, mainly these are perishables. Frozen is not usualy considered perishable, but who will know if you’re carrying chilled or frozen inside a running reefer?
If you’re only doing Holland and Belgium, there are no bans to worry about. If you’re also doing France, check when the bans are and check the exemptions to see if you can drive or not. It’s better to know the rules and if you’re breaking them rather than get a surprise at a big fine.

Simon:
There are exemptions which allow certain goods to be moved on these days, mainly these are perishables. Frozen is not usualy considepred perishable, but who will know if you’re carrying chilled or frozen inside a running reefer?

I believe the gendarmes are wise to that little number… rather bizarrely though, you are allowed to run with onions in a curtainsider on Sunday, and even with honey, despite the fact that 2000 year old honey which has been discovered in Roman remains is still edible.

Harry Monk:
I believe the gendarmes are wise to that little number… rather bizarrely though, you are allowed to run with onions in a curtainsider on Sunday, and even with honey, despite the fact that 2000 year old honey which has been discovered in Roman remains is still edible.

Was it discovered at a tesco RDC?

Make sure you get on the correct mini bus

We always get our vignettes at the tunnel as it`s usually pee time anyway :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If you forget (as i did a couple of weeks ago) :blush: :blush: heading into Belgium via Dunkerque on the A16 Jabbeke service area do it if your going that way obviously…

Hold ya breath on the smelly bus!!!

Weve got a vertically challenged driver and its a nitemare for him (nose at armpit height) :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Otherwise enjoy it mate…I LOVE IT…

russell2587:
Make sure you get on the correct mini bus

That is a good one to start with. :laughing:

What’s all this about buses? Im looking forward to it, all new experiences etc

Mr B:

If you go on Eurotunnel you will be collected from your truck by a minibus and taken to the club car. There are two minibuses for each train, one for the front half, one for the back half. Make sure that the door you enter the club car by (there is one at each end) is the one you leave by to get on the minibus at the other end.

Alright thanks Harry, im guessing a few people have had to make the walk of shame!

Mr B:
Alright thanks Harry, im guessing a few people have had to make the walk of shame!

Oh yes. Including me ! :frowning:

Harry Monk:

Mr B:

If you go on Eurotunnel you will be collected from your truck by a minibus and taken to the club car. There are two minibuses for each train, one for the front half, one for the back half. Make sure that the door you enter the club car by (there is one at each end) is the one you leave by to get on the minibus at the other end.

I find It always adds a little enjoyment to the trip when (quite often) they only use 1 door to enter the “club car” if this happens I find it best to just claim the first seat you see inside when in club car…

turnip:

Mr B:

Oh yes. Including me ! :frowning:

+1 :blush:

Thank god ive never had the walk of shame.

One thing i would point out, on top of what the others have said. Is watch your trailer wheels when getting on the train as they used to have a nasty habit of catching the guiders and blowing a tyre.