Advantagehgv.co.uk

Hi all,
Does anyone have experience of the above firm? I emailed them my details and CV to see if they could get me any work (they advertise jobs on their website) The chap didn’t seem to have taken much notice of what I sent as he thought I wanted an HGV license…which I already have! He then asked what I was doing workwise and I told him the usual agency stuff, which he then went on to pooh-pooh (understandable in a way) and then went on about some courses or something which would allow me to get work within a week, and earn £550 a month. Maybe its just me but it all sounds a bit too good to be true. I can’t afford any more courses anyway, but just wondered if anyone knows what the crack is?

Cheers all,

Dan

Hi Dan

Personally i havent had any dealings With them myself, but from what i’ve read on here about them, i’d stay Well away pal. Do a search on the forum for them and im sure you Will get an idea of what their like.

As far as im aWare, they act as a broker for training, and not a very good one. You’ll prob find they will try to tWist your arm into doing some course with the reassurance that you will find work through them after…THIS WONT BE THE CASE I DONT THINK.

Like you say, if it sounds too good to be true then it usually is. But have a search on the forum, prob find some info.

All the best,
Ben

bigfoot:
Hi Dan

Personally i havent had any dealings With them myself, but from what i’ve read on here about them, i’d stay Well away pal. Do a search on the forum for them and im sure you Will get an idea of what their like.

As far as im aWare, they act as a broker for training, and not a very good one. You’ll prob find they will try to tWist your arm into doing some course with the reassurance that you will find work through them after…THIS WONT BE THE CASE I DONT THINK.

Like you say, if it sounds too good to be true then it usually is. But have a search on the forum, prob find some info.

All the best,
Ben

Hi Ben,
I had only nipped on the forum real quick so didn’t have a chance to do a search, but will do now. Seems my suspicions are right then…

BanburyDan:
… and earn £550 a month. Maybe its just me but it all sounds a bit too good to be true.

Erm…that don’t sound too good to me!! :stuck_out_tongue:

AdvantageHGV are a broker IIRC, so therefor they will try and find you HGV courses to get you a license category which as far as i’ve read you already have.

I’ve also never heard of a course that will get you a guaranteed job in HGV at all never mind one that will earn you £550.

Thats kind of my thinking, I have my class 2, CPC and some experience. I don’t really see what more they can offer me. I’d like to do my HIAB, I am sure they would offer it, but I may as well just get JLD in Banbury to do it for me, I trust them and like the instructors (did my class 2 and my B&E with them) I wouldn’t bother with a middleman. He was on about some kind of thing from a DSA approved instructor (which so far as I know JLD is) which would like describe my driving style or something? Never heard of that before, and I can’t work out how they could so such a think after only a few hours in the cab with a totally inexperienced driver.

I did my Hiab in Banbury, with JLD too. Just make sure the hydraulic oil tank is filled on the truck when you do it lol as the truck works better. But Hiab is coming in season soon anyway :slight_smile:

I would avoid, using sites like Companycheck and Directorcheck (info from companies house) can give a valuable insight into the company and it’s directors. I know times are lean atm but a company with a net worth of -£64k and liabilities of £354k, 2 directors involved with ‘dissolved’ companies doesn’t imo look good.

Have a look in your Yellow pages for training providers in your area then go & visit them see what they are like how you feel when you talk face - face with them

If you want have an assessment drive with them to see how you feel with there instructors

Avoid brokers as how do they know you can earn said amount :question:

animal:
Have a look in your Yellow pages for training providers in your area then go & visit them see what they are like how you feel when you talk face - face with them

If you want have an assessment drive with them to see how you feel with there instructors

I can’t really work out what training I need anyway…and if I decide I do want some I will speak to an organ grinder, not a monkey. :wink:

BanburyDan:

animal:

I can’t really work out what training I need anyway…and if I decide I do want some I will speak to an organ grinder, not a monkey. :wink:

Thanks for the insult Goodbye

BanburyDan:
I can’t really work out what training I need anyway…and if I decide I do want some I will speak to an organ grinder, not a monkey.

animal:

Hi Animal

I think he was referring to speaking directly to a training company and not to a broker rather than calling you a monkey.

At least I hope that’s what he meant.

LGVTrainer:

BanburyDan:
I can’t really work out what training I need anyway…and if I decide I do want some I will speak to an organ grinder, not a monkey.

animal:

Hi Animal

I think he was referring to speaking directly to a training company and not to a broker rather than calling you a monkey.

At least I hope that’s what he meant.

Yes that is what I meant, I’m not here to insult people, sorry if I wasn’t clear. Monkey = broker, Organ Grinder = proper training company.

Purely in the interests of research I have had some phone conversations with them recently. They tend not to listen to what you have actually called about instead working on the assumption that training is the answer you are looking for. There are also a lot of, err, ‘inaccuracies’ from the minor to the extreme in the information they give you. I intend to carry out further research in the coming weeks.

I can’t believe that this thread has needed more than 2 replies.

Here’s how to resolve it . . . . . . . .

Q. Is “advantagehgv” a BROKER – YES or NO

If YES tell the OP to AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

If NO tell the OP to AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

justification . . . . . .

if Broker - no justification needed

if not Broker, then £550 per week (OP said month but probably a typo) job just by dealing with them = probably unachievable.

OP - just do research on this forum about claims made by similar companies.

just do some research on this forum about how difficult it is for people to get jobs even just above the minimum wage. If the ‘We’ve got NO Jobs Centre Plus (minus!!!)’ hasnt got any real jobs, then why would this outfit have any. If they do have jobs, then WHATS IN IT FOR THEM to give YOU a job?

See ya later guys and gals

LandyLad

LandyLad:
I can’t believe that this thread has needed more than 2 replies.

Here’s how to resolve it . . . . . . . .

Q. Is “advantagehgv” a BROKER – YES or NO

If YES tell the OP to AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

If NO tell the OP to AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

justification . . . . . .

if Broker - no justification needed

if not Broker, then £550 per week (OP said month but probably a typo) job just by dealing with them = probably unachievable.

OP - just do research on this forum about claims made by similar companies.

just do some research on this forum about how difficult it is for people to get jobs even just above the minimum wage. If the ‘We’ve got NO Jobs Centre Plus (minus!!!)’ hasnt got any real jobs, then why would this outfit have any. If they do have jobs, then WHATS IN IT FOR THEM to give YOU a job?

See ya later guys and gals

LandyLad

I have indeed seen the posts from other users about how hard it is to get work, which is why I was so stunned by the claims from this firm. I didn’t have time to do a big search when I was initially here but have had chance since, and seen other threads on this company. if I had any money they wouldn’t be getting it anyway now.

Yo Dan,

thats what I thought mate! :smiley:

I wish you all the best looking for a decent job at a decent wage.

The good news is that from some of the other posts recently on this forum, its surprising how many guys and gals are getting work opportunities this week - mostly by simple hard work and perserverence.
Knocking on doors and phoning up from the Yellow pages etc.

All the best,
LandyLad

LandyLad:
Yo Dan,

thats what I thought mate! :smiley:

I wish you all the best looking for a decent job at a decent wage.

The good news is that from some of the other posts recently on this forum, its surprising how many guys and gals are getting work opportunities this week - mostly by simple hard work and perserverence.
Knocking on doors and phoning up from the Yellow pages etc.

All the best,
LandyLad

I have been ringing round agencies etc today, don’t have anything for me just yet, but they are saying its getting a bit better out there.

Hi,

I have done my Class 2 & Class 1 with these guys, the training itself is good, nothing special but the trainers were fine and I passed first time on both with only 2 or 3 minors (I don’t know whether thats from the training or me just being confident with my driving abilities).

The problem I DO have with these guys is the after service, finding you a job after you complete the training. I was on these forums before when I guy from AdvantageHGV was replying to peoples queries, I mentioned this lack of after service to him and on the same day posting on here, I got a call from one of their recruitment guys, and had a conversation about what I am looking for and what i’m willing to do. That was around a month ago, I have had no call backs and I thought I would bite the bullet and look for a class 2 job as I have previous experience with them. I have had a few interviews and am being made to wait for a response, but thats beside the point.

I called Advantage HGV today, and spoke to a guy called Michael whom told me he was the recruitment manager, now i’m no idiot but this guy was (for the lack of a better expression) brown nosing me :confused: . Telling me that there are notes on my file saying I have always been well spoken etc etc. The conversation then turned to what I would like to pursue as a career, well he said he would like to ‘upgrade me’ to the short list for some of their blue chip companies they deal with, Esso and BP were mentioned. I then thought great, but I would need ADR under my belt to go for those sort of positions, which in my mind got us to the point that he wanted me to fork out just under £1000 to do the course…

I think this is a BLEEPing liberty, why would I pay more money to a company that (now i’m gonna choose my words carefully here) offered me great service once i’ve passed my course, then leaves me high and dry. -Edit- I forgot to mention that Michael called me back 5 minutes after we spoke and asked if I would like go ahead, I told me I can’t afford it at the moment due to not having a job, his immediate response was “could you put it on a credit card” which I think is very bad advice, getting me in debt plus what happens if the same thing happens where I pass the course and they can’t find me a job afterwards, I will be stuck with no class 1 experience but with an ADR certificate, £1000 in debt and no blooming job.

I will not be calling them anymore, they have lost me as a customer :open_mouth:

p.s Anybody else looking for a 28 year old, newly passed class 1 driver…oh i’m ex army as well :wink:

You could get ADR much cheaper than that

Oh ex army emm no thanks sorry just a lot of bad experience with them in the past no disrespect to you this is just my experience of them