adr

Hi all, I passed my class 2 6 months ago an really want to drive petrol tankers. Is there a shortage on petrol tanker drivers to or just genral haulage? I don’t want to lay out the money for my adr if I can’t get a job at the end of it. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Adr will get you on the road in either fuel or the jobs like palletline.
it really depends on your location and what the area needs

I already have plenty of work with my agency delivery palletised stuffan muilti drop an muilti drop is driving me mad. They want like 15-25 drops a day its to much. I live in ipswich an have no idea on were to start to even look for tanker work, but from what I have read online the money is good too but I dont know if thats true or not

Might need class 1 for petrol tankers.

(Happy to be proved wrong though)

mikey1984:
I already have plenty of work with my agency delivery palletised stuffan muilti drop an muilti drop is driving me mad. They want like 15-25 drops a day its to much. I live in ipswich an have no idea on were to start to even look for tanker work, but from what I have read online the money is good too but I dont know if thats true or not

have a look in the yellow pages for fuel delivery ie heating oil suppliers etc they tend to use small tankers, the other type of place you could look for is the air product company BOC you need to find whats local and what they do …but doing you adr on the pallet work will at least give you some experience …

Driver-Once-More:
Might need class 1 for petrol tankers.

(Happy to be proved wrong though)

petrol maybe but some smaller company’s use cat C trucks to get oil / derv into small places ie farms etc

Agreed Nick, hence my disclaimer. :laughing:

I am definitely going to do my class 1 before my theory run out, what I have seen alot online is companies wanting 2 years experience (especially petrol tankers) I will have a look at that BOC an see were they are based an if they take on newly passed drivers. Thanks very much guys

Hello mate bit late to jump on this thread, I saw Hoyer had a big advert board at Heston services for petrol tanker drivers various locations, money looked good not to sure what company are like though.

Its not to late any advice is a help buddy, thanks joey I will have a look on there website

you thought about chemical delivery ibc or in pressure bins class 2 26t
we do between 1 and a max of 5 drops per day mon to fri no nights out average day 9/10 hours max
£30,000 a year

I know even less about were to start looking for chemical delivery work, an I have never even heard of pressure bins I dont even know what they are! I just want out of 15-25 drops per day but still earn good money. I shall look into chemical an pressure bins. Thanks

mikey1984:
I know even less about were to start looking for chemical delivery work, an I have never even heard of pressure bins I dont even know what they are! I just want out of 15-25 drops per day but still earn good money. I shall look into chemical an pressure bins. Thanks

Its just a steel container what holds 1000lts or less of whatever chemicals ie …caustic/ nitric/ ferric ect
you put air in the top through a camlock fitting by the compressor on the truck connect a pipe to the pressure bin the other end to the chemical storage tank on the customers premises and blow it in just the same as some tankers do but on a smaller scale

Ah I see, do u know of any companies in the ipswich area an if they are looking for drivers?

www.goffpetroleum.co.uk

www.butlerfuels.co.uk

www.watsonfuels.co.uk

www.certasenergy.co.uk

Thanks buster4086 :slight_smile:

mikey1984:
muilti drop is driving me mad. They want like 15-25 drops a day its to much.

Tankers may not be for you then! A typical rigid tanker has 5 pots to segregate products and you could be out delivering heating oil to houses and red diesel to farms etc. My brother drives class 2 tankers and a few weeks ago he did 32 drops in one day. An average day for him is about 15 drops.

LowRange:

mikey1984:
muilti drop is driving me mad. They want like 15-25 drops a day its to much.

Tankers may not be for you then! A typical rigid tanker has 5 pots to segregate products and you could be out delivering heating oil to houses and red diesel to farms etc. My brother drives class 2 tankers and a few weeks ago he did 32 drops in one day. An average day for him is about 15 drops.

At least you don’t lose time trying to find a forkie :wink:

To get on petrol tankers where the money is and not do multiple drop you will need your class one. It is true Hoyer are recruiting and they are looking for drivers with no experience however you will need two years class one experience. The closet place to do this for you is the Thurrock/Purfleet area.

You could try the rigid for companies like Goff doing gasoline/kero etc but this will rn multiple drop dragging hoses over people’s gardens etc. good luck

So im best of passing my class 1 driving for 2 years then trying to get into petrol tankers. Well I better do my class 1 soon. Is there alot if muilti drop work on class 1?