ADR Test.

Hi All,
I was thinking of taking my full ADR in Tanks and everything in the New Year !
Is it going to be worth it and is it hard to get onto Tankers …
Your advise would be greatly appreciated :laughing:

Thank you.

JWithout tanks experience it can be hard the adr course itself is multiple choice but if you listen to instructor he will of given you all the info you need.
If there is anything specific you need or want to ask dieseldave is the adr guy to speak to hope this helps.
John.

Don’t forget to ask to have it as part of your cpc if you don’t already have it, they may charge for it though

The course is fairly easy, I passed so it cant be that hard.

Its just a case of ringing round and being right place at the right time, I have rung round and left my name but no joy as yet, will try again in January.
It took my mate 3 years to get on tanks, he aint looked back and in his words “best move ive ever made, dont give up”.

It’s a piece of cake.Just prepared to get very bored but the exam is kids stuff…multiple choice usually with 2 really stupid answers so the right one stick out like a sore thumb even if you fell asleep during the lesson.
Have fun!!

I retook my ADR +tanks at the start of the year , five day course also counts towards Cpc , I wrote to a few company’s and only had one response , I’m thinking its dead mans shoes and there’s 10 more drivers qewing for that job after…

Ask if the 3.5 day ADR course/exams is driver cpc approved and what the extra cost is for that
That is usually for 21 dcpc hours

The tanks ADR course can also be dcpc approved for another 7 dcpc hours but not many providers have that

ROG:
Ask if the 3.5 day ADR course/exams is driver cpc approved and what the extra cost is for that
That is usually for 21 dcpc hours

The tanks ADR course can also be dcpc approved for another 7 dcpc hours but not many providers have that

Three days will get 21hrs DCPC, provided that the ADR provider is also a registered and approved DCPC provider.
The half day for the ADR exams will NOT count for DCPC, because there are no DCPC hours available for taking exams. Taking ADR exams isn’t attendance for tuition.

rob.jonesno1:
Hi All,
I was thinking of taking my full ADR in Tanks and everything in the New Year !
Is it going to be worth it and is it hard to get onto Tankers …
Your advise would be greatly appreciated :laughing:

Thank you.

Rob,

My honest advice is that, unless you have something lined up, you should consider saving your money on the tanker course.

My reason for the suggestion is that it is usually extremely difficult to break into tanker driving.

Of course, there will be those who know somebody who has managed to achieve this breakthrough, but in my experience it’s quite rare.
I’d say that you could save around £140 if you give the (optional) tanker course a miss.

Hi Dave and All,

I just fancy something different and I would love to get onto Tankers !
And if I am doing 3 days I might as well do 5 Days and get Tanks too…
It is all about £520 all in !
As I live down in Sussex there are lots of Fuel Company’s even if I get onto delivering oil to peoples houses ?
But then I also think is it worth it as Dave said !

I think I’ve more chance of finding chicken teeth than getting onto Fuel Tankers…
Thank you all, for your help !

Rob :unamused:

I think people are quite correct when they say tanker jobs are few and far between.I drove petrol tankers in London for 12 years in the 80’s but was lucky to get a start.
I was in the right place at the right time.The company also did heating oil during the winter season and were short of a driver due to sickness.I was taken on for the winter season and as luck would have it (for me) a driver lost his license due to DD.I was then given a permanent job and worked my way from west end deliveries on rigids to garage deliveries on artics.
Money and conditions were fantastic.
I would take the test and then if a job becomes available at least you are prepared where as if you are not qualified you have no chance.
Good luck.

rob.jonesno1:
As I live down in Sussex…

Hi Rob,

Here are two ADR providers that I can recommend:

EP Training Services
The Old Library Lower Shott
Leatherhead
KT23 4LR
Tel: 01372 450800
Email: info@eptraining.co.uk

Roadsafe Europe Ltd
Unit 006 Solent Business Centre
Millbrook Road West
Southampton
SO15 0HW
Tel: 02380 702576
Email: adr@roadsafeeurope.com

AFAIK, Both do DCPC, but I think that EP Training has their tanker course registered for DCPC, so it might be worth a phone call. :wink:

albion1971:
I would take the test and then if a job becomes available at least you are prepared where as if you are not qualified you have no chance.

Spot-on advice IMHO, but I always bear in mind that (for most people these days) money is tight and I’d not like to think that somebody had spent money that they didn’t need to.

As albion 1971 ( no relation!) said, if you have the ADR for tanks and a job comes up, then you are placed for it.

Slightly differently, we run a mixed fleet. One of our van drivers had wanted us to finance his Class 1 test, which we never did. One of the other van drivers just got on with it and paid to take his Class 1. Few months later one of the truck lads retired and no prizes for guessing who got to drive his truck.

Hi Dave and All,

I am going to take my test JMD in Ellesmere Port, as it will be a chance to see my Dad too !
I have spoken with Mike a few times and he sound as a pound !

But thank you everyone !

Regards

Rob Jones :laughing: :laughing:

albion:
As albion 1971 ( no relation!) said, if you have the ADR for tanks and a job comes up, then you are placed for it.

Slightly differently, we run a mixed fleet. One of our van drivers had wanted us to finance his Class 1 test, which we never did. One of the other van drivers just got on with it and paid to take his Class 1. Few months later one of the truck lads retired and no prizes for guessing who got to drive his truck.

Cheers Albion !
Regards
Rob .

You could also try Calor gas or the similar gas company you need ADR for cylinder transport they also have gas tankers , I worked for them for 15 years …on cylinders .

rob.jonesno1:
It is all about £520 all in !

rob.jonesno1:
I am going to take my test JMD in Ellesmere Port…

I assume that price with with JMD? If so I shall ring them again tomorrow as I was quoted more than that (granted not by much but every little helps)

tonka236:
I assume that price with with JMD? If so I shall ring them again tomorrow as I was quoted more than that (granted not by much but every little helps)

Maybe one was quoted with dcpc and the other without ?

ROG:

tonka236:

Maybe one was quoted with dcpc and the other without ?

There are a few variables before one considers the actual price of an ADR course…

Was VAT included in the price they quoted?
Many admin staff/phone answerers assume that it’s a company calling, so they don’t always bother to ask whether a candidate is making a private booking. This can lead to nasty surprises when they don’t mention whether the VAT was included.
(Most ADR courses are +VAT, but there is NO VAT on the exam fees, so that should be explained properly.)

Is the tanker module to be included? (Y/N) [+VAT? +exam fee £20?]

How many of the UN Classes does the candidate require? (any number from 1-9.)

Some ADR providers will say that a course is a course and it lasts for 5 days, take it or leave it, but that simply isn’t true, because it’s perfectly possible to take an ADR course a-la-carte.

Which exam ‘route’ does the provider use?
Core, Packs and seven UN Classes done by single exams costs £180 in exam marking fees.
Exactly the same ticket done by the ‘common characteristics’ route will cost £100 in marking fees.
The tanker module is usually treated separately, so in either case, that’ll be another £20 for that one to be marked.

In fairness, it pays to only compare like with like otherwise the prices obtained are meaningless because different providers express them in different ways.