ADR.....Tanks

Morning all,I’m looking into doing me ADR,tanks included.
My question is to anyone who has an ADR entitlement or even if you don’t.! Is,how likely are company’s willing to take you on with no experience in this field.
I have held my class 1 for 7 years with a clean licence.
Thanks

Nkh22:
My question is to anyone who has an ADR entitlement or even if you don’t.! Is,how likely are company’s willing to take you on with no experience in this field.
Thanks

Hi Nkh22,

I’d say that if you do your ADR course as Core, Packs and seven UN Classes, you’ll probably enhance your employment prospects somewhat… depending on the demand in your area.

However, I’d advise that you can save some money (and approx. 1.5 days of your time) by leaving out the Tanks module, because it’s fairly unlikely, but not impossible, that you’ll get a start on ADR tank work.

If you’ll say roughly whereabouts in the country you are, and your preferred travelling distance for 4/5 days to a course, I’ll be able to give you contact details for ADR providers in your chosen area if you like.

dieseldave:

Nkh22:
Thanks

Hi Nkh22,

I’d say that if you do your ADR course as Core, Packs and seven UN Classes, you’ll probably enhance your employment prospects somewhat… depending on the demand in your area.

However, I’d advise that you can save some money (and approx. 1.5 days of your time) by leaving out the Tanks module, because it’s fairly unlikely, but not impossible, that you’ll get a start on ADR tank work.

If you’ll say roughly whereabouts in the country you are, and your preferred travelling distance for 4/5 days to a course, I’ll be able to give you contact details for ADR providers in your chosen area if you like.

Hi dieseldave,

I live east Hertfordshire,I’m hoping to start the course in January 2016 as I’ve not got any holiday entitlement left where I work.

You say about leaving the tank module out, I guess it’s like it used to be when you first pass your class 1 which the experience thing.?

Ok so I’ve found a few courses on the internet that are close to me and charging between £500-600 for the core, packages and tank that’s including some cpc hours…that I’m not that bothered about as most company’s now days will put you through this.but please let me know the areas and contact details.

Thanks

I worked on fuel tankers and a driver that had taken his ADR but had no experience wrote to the firm asking if there was a chance of a job if he was allowed to go out with another driver in his own time for no pay and learn the job.
He came out with me until I told the firm he was competent to do the job and the firm took him on.

Id say do it, i did my adr a year ago and have just managed to get onto the fuel tankers.

I found it was better to knock on doors than send cv’s and thats what got me the job and on full pay too!

Cheers for the reply Numbum & Discodeano. So I’ve already sent of a few emails this weekend to various company’s in the purfleet area asking about the no experience thing.
Looks like that’s the way forward hopefully I’ll get some reply’s.

Cheers

Do it i done mine a few months back , now im on fuel and earning well done mine with Sigma in essex excellent instructors a very well presented course worth the money i should have done it years ago to be fair but like you i was in two minds regarding spending the cash and not getting employment there are company’s that will train you although i would say your chances improve if you live in an area where there are terminals obliviously

Think it depends where you live, did my ADR and tanks to increase my prospects of work, never used them, used my HIAB on two shifts, all are due for refreshers but probably won’t bother.

bjd:
Do it i done mine a few months back , now im on fuel and earning well done mine with Sigma in essex excellent instructors a very well presented course worth the money i should have done it years ago to be fair but like you i was in two minds regarding spending the cash and not getting employment there are company’s that will train you although i would say your chances improve if you live in an area where there are terminals obliviously

Cheers for that,I will look up sigma.

Who’s the company you are working for now mate.? If you don’t mind saying that is.?Didn’t they mind that you only had your ADR a few months…obviously you work for them so guess not, but you know what I mean, took you on as clean licence,etc.

As a Newbie to the industry I did my ADR with Tanks to get 28 hours of CPC.
I didn’t think or expect to be able to utilise the Tanks part, and still don’t for a while, as I need to earn my stripes and build my experience! :smiley:
But as I live just a few miles from Fawley in Southampton, fuel tankers is something I have my eye on for the future. :wink:

However the rest of my ADR is coming in handy, as I currently do palletised delivery within the HazChem network, and carry ADR loads on a daily basis. For this (via Agency) I earn a quid extra an hour, so am slowly recouping the cost of my CPC! :smiley:
I also think that even while I’m only a temp at my firm, my placement is probably more secure than the non ADR agency staff.

Some posters have never used their ADR, but thought I’d post this to show that some have and do…
Whether I’ll be using it in a few months I don’t know, but I’m glad I did mine, as I’m at least getting back some cash from the pointless CPC crap, where you can take the same CPC module 5 times to get your card. :unamused:

I posted an overview of the ADR course here: Should I do ADR as 28 hours of CPC - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Nkh22:
how likely are company’s willing to take you on with no experience in this field.
Thanks

Hoyer petrolog set on drivers with no previous fuel experience apparently so try them, you do need your ADR though, all the best…[emoji16]

Due to the current low barrel price retail fuel is doing well hence the need for drivers,also they are all taking newbies because the rate that Hauliers are paying is approx 50% less than the majors and even they are bringing new rates into the job.

jenka:
hence the need for drivers,also they are all taking newbies

Most fuel hauliers don’t take ‘newbies’ (unless you have contacts or something), none of them need drivers anyway, they have that many applicants it’s unreal.

As above probably depends on area. I did full adr apart from explosive an radioactive and was offered tankers after a couple months. So dont write it off.

Pimpdaddy:

jenka:
hence the need for drivers,also they are all taking newbies

Most fuel hauliers don’t take ‘newbies’ (unless you have contacts or something), none of them need drivers anyway, they have that many applicants it’s unreal.

Absolute rubbish,Your not in the industry most are newbies Monarch/ BP just taken on 10 and no experience .

jenka:
Absolute rubbish,Your not in the industry most are newbies Monarch/ BP just taken on 10 and no experience .

Thats an agency, I believe BP no longer set on drivers directly.

Cheers for the reply’s,much appreciated.

Some interesting reading evil.

Previously applied to Hoyer when they was only asking for 2yrs driving experience.But talking to people they only took on ADR qualified drivers.Even though the advert said training will be given…?!

Pimpdaddy:

jenka:

Thats an agency, I believe BP no longer set on drivers directly.

BP have over 300 employed drivers ,and they recruit from their agency pool when required.

jenka:
BP have over 300 employed drivers ,and they recruit from their agency pool when required.

Wow that’s news to me, an ACTUAL BP employed driver told me otherwise, I believe they even wear a different uniform to the monarch drivers but I might be wrong…

Nkh22:
Previously applied to Hoyer when they was only asking for 2yrs driving experience.But talking to people they only took on ADR qualified drivers.Even though the advert said training will be given…?!

Put yourself in their shoes, who would you recruit if you had loads of applicants who already held their ADR?

Pimpdaddy:
Put yourself in their shoes, who would you recruit if you had loads of applicants who already held their ADR?

Understand totaly why they would do that.Apparently they had over 2000 applications.