ADR rant

It really gets to me how so many drivers with ADR either haven’t got a clue or just don’t care.

I was on an industrial estate yesterday when witnessing the loading of packaged goods, trailer outside, raining, trailer bed wet load slightly wet.
Noticed it was a mixed load, with a couple of interesting placards

I am a nosey [zb], I also get bored sometimes whilst pumping out (poop holes)

“You alright drive ?” as he was double checking everything
“Yes mate, first day here I’m agency”
“Just asking have you got your ADR ?”
“yes why”
“Oh I was only asking didn’t want them stitching you up”
So off he went, FLT driver “do you want a coffee ?”
“Cheers mate simples coffee & water nowt else tar”

“So that driver who just left that was some load he had on hey ?”
"Oh it’s some company from the East side we seem to be the only carrier who will take it "
“why what is it”
So he handed me a sheet
1st item on the list UN1790
UN1790 is a clear solution that looks like water, so load wet, trailer wet driver hasn’t got a clue whether it had leaked or not.
UN1790 will kill you, no excuses, you really need to take precautions and know what your doing.

So is it that we have an influx of ADR drivers due to this CPC training

We get it on the tanks, drivers that have picked up a contaminated load and think it’s just waste = drives me mad.

So it’s a company and haulage firm that has ■■■■ all to do with you and you’re quizzing the driver about whether he’s got his ADR ticket or not, then you start sticking your beak in about the load itself which also has ■■■■ all to do with you. How about you mind your own business and let him get on with his? I think you got off lightly. I’d have told you to ■■■■ off, personally.

Jesus wept! - Handing a first time out guy a load of HF conc?

This stuff eats glass and will dissolve your bones whilst they are still inside you from a skin splash FFS. The vapour will burn your lungs out, and it’s incredibly dangerous.
http://www.phy.bris.ac.uk/safety/Documents/Hydrofluoric%20Acid%20RA%2001.09.10.pdf

Not only should anyone handling it be well-trained, they should also carry as standard a decent amount of Calcium Gluconate gel. A very small splash of Hydroflouric Acid even on the skin has more effect from poisoning the entire body right down to the bones than it does from just simple “burning” like something such as Sulphuric Acid concentrate might do… People tend to over-estimate it’s power as an acid, and forget about it’s power as a systemic flouride poison! It’s the poisoning (through the skin or inhaled) that kills rather than being burned by this filthy stuff… :open_mouth:

So guys… .It looks like any “wet trailer” was indeed just rain water. You’d both be dead if it had actually been leaking - from the inhaled fumes alone!

It’s right and proper to invertene - if there is a clear risk to the driver and general public - which I reckon there was!

“Walk on by society” doesn’t cut it when stuff that can kill dozens is being handled without clear knowledge and instruction given to all those involved…
A “Stitch up” indeed, only possible because in the event of a death - the firm gets merely fined, and no one goes to jail. :frowning:

Winseer:

This stuff eats glass and will dissolve your bones whilst they are still inside you from a skin splash FFS. The vapour will burn your lungs out, and it’s incredibly dangerous.
School of Physics | School of Physics | University of Bristol

Not only should anyone handling it be well-trained, they should also carry as standard a decent amount of Calcium Gluconate gel. A very small splash of Hydroflouric Acid even on the skin has more effect from poisoning the entire body right down to the bones than it does from just simple “burning” like something such as Sulphuric Acid concentrate might do… People tend to over-estimate it’s power as an acid, and forget about it’s power as a systemic flouride poison! It’s the poisoning (through the skin or inhaled) that kills rather than being burned by this filthy stuff… :open_mouth:

So guys… .It looks like any “wet trailer” was indeed just rain water. You’d both be dead if it had actually been leaking - from the inhaled fumes alone!

It’s right and proper to invertene - if there is a clear risk to the driver and general public - which I reckon there was!

“Walk on by society” doesn’t cut it when stuff that can kill dozens is being handled without clear knowledge and instruction given to all those involved…
A “Stitch up” indeed, only possible because in the event of a death - the firm gets merely fined, and no one goes to jail. :frowning:

I do believe left hand down old bean that this is one occasion were sticking ones beak in was thoroughly justified.

Winseer:

School of Physics | School of Physics | University of Bristol

Why is it “right and proper to invertene[sic]” ? You seem to be basing your opinions solely on the fact that he is an agency driver and his first time there. For all you and the OP know he could’ve been doing ADR loads for the past 30 years and knows exactly what the stuff is and how to handle it. Even if he doesn’t, there’s enough bumpf that comes with the paperwork stating exactly what to do in the event of a spillage/emergency. But let’s not let any of that get in the way of your overdramatised frothing and fauxrage. You sound like a typical Daily Mail reader.

^^You missed the key point about having a wet trailer bed and carrying a highly dangerous clear solution.

I wasn’t really trying to stick my nose in, it comes naturally and people don’t seem to mind must be my tone, I was just emptying their pit for them.

Winseer thank you for your contribution very professional and accurate
Left hand down Thank you for your contribution :wink:

Different opinions keep these forums going.

Personally I always look at the paperwork first
I personally wouldn’t allow 1790 onto a wet trailer as I wouldn’t be able to see if it had leaked.
I would have got my book out as a mixed load but including 1790 (I certainly would need to reconfirm my education)

I have no idea what kit the driver had
I recall requiring gel but would never have been able to recall the name of it.
Do FLT drivers need adr cert to be able to load/unload not sure if he had a clue either

Out of curiosity, as I know nothing about ADR, are you saying that because it was wet outside that this should have been loaded inside?

F-reds:
Out of curiosity, as I know nothing about ADR, are you saying that because it was wet outside that this should have been loaded inside?

I believe best practice is that it shouldn’t have been allowed to get wet and I would not be happy about the trailer being wet so the solution would be in my opinion for it to have been kept inside and loaded inside.
Though I may be wrong, (I would check with the orange book for guidance)
To be honest in the front of my book I have a list of numbers that are highlighted which means I personally need to re-educate myself about that product either because I’ve never carried it or because my knowledge is rusty, so I would get my book out and have a read.

In my head I have a few numbers that make me walk away quite quickly and 1790 is one of them, I didn’t see any other numbers because I walked faster than you can imagine (probably would have been to late)

My knowledge of ADR is limited to what I carry really or have carried in the past anything new or unusual to me and I would be reading pretty quickly this situation just looked odd in so much so that there were lots of different products together, my knowledge of mixed loads is very limited.

I do not wish to cause an argument here so I apologise if this is causing anyone to get annoyed that is not my intention.

I was and am intrigued I wonder whether sometimes I’m over the top though at least winseer is in the same camp as me, so at least I’m not alone.

Muckspreader:
My knowledge of ADR is limited to what I carry really or have carried in the past anything new or unusual to me and I would be reading pretty quickly this situation just looked odd in so much so that there were lots of different products together, my knowledge of mixed loads is very limited.

I do not wish to cause an argument here so I apologise if this is causing anyone to get annoyed that is not my intention.

I was and am intrigued I wonder whether sometimes I’m over the top though at least winseer is in the same camp as me, so at least I’m not alone.

Once again Muckspreader passes judgement on another company then admits he has ‘limited knowledge’ about what he is on about.

Muckspreader:

Dangerous Goods Detail
UN Number: 1790 Packing Group
I
II
Substance: HYDROFLUORIC ACID
HazChem Code: 2R Nature of Hazard: COR,TOX UN Class: 8 ADR HIN: 886
Flash Point: Transport Category: 1 UN SubCat: 6.1 ADR Class: 8
Notes: This PG applies to > 60% ACIDProhibit if corrosive liquids are loaded adjacent to or above or below flammable solids or oxidising liquids.This UN No has two entries in the database ADR Item No: 6 or 7
Fire Fighting: Water fog/fine spray
Hazard: Highly corrosive substance, which is also toxic.
Emergency Action:
Spillage: Dilute spillage. Apply ventilation.
First Aid: Remove contaminated clothing. Flush affected eyes, skin with water. Seek medical attention.

Darkside:

Muckspreader:

Once again Muckspreader passes judgement on another company then admits he has ‘limited knowledge’ about what he is on about.

Yep. Far too many busybodies about.

jesus. prime example of what has happened to trucking game . maybe its more down to shipper to check driver is adr trained and make sure loading conditions r correct its there load there loading. that driver way more patcience than me mr detective there would of got told to f…k right of :smiley:

Left hand down!:

Darkside:

Muckspreader:

I despair. You couldn’t pay me enough money to carry that muck by the sounds of it. So to have someone that hadn’t 2 brain cells to rub together carry it is deeply disturbing to me.

Apart from loading inside, which for some reason may not have been possible , what else could the chap have done to stop the trailer getting wet■■?

Did he actually say to you “I don’t know what I’m doing…” ?

exactly .now all off a sudden complete strangers calling the poor ba…d just doing his job is stupid as well f…k me get a life :grimacing:

Silver_Surfer:

Left hand down!:

Darkside:

Muckspreader:

I despair. You couldn’t pay me enough money to carry that muck by the sounds of it. So to have someone that hadn’t 2 brain cells to rub together carry it is deeply disturbing to me.

And you’re basing this nugget on what exactly? :unamused:

I used to work for a few companies doing ADR work when I was on agency and personally I may have got a bit annoyed if I had someone random to me come and ask wether I had ADR or not.

On the other hand, ADR and especially ADR tanker drivers seem to have a special bond that means they always helped and looked out for each other, rather than general haulage which seems to be everyone for themself.

andi_cardiff:
I used to work for a few companies doing ADR work when I was on agency and personally I may have got a bit annoyed if I had someone random to me come and ask wether I had ADR or not.

On the other hand, ADR and especially ADR tanker drivers seem to have a special bond that means they always helped and looked out for each other, rather than general haulage which seems to be everyone for themself.

spot on